Ill omen mechanics?

Im still not quite sure how the reduced targets damage for 1 second debuff works with ill omen. If i use it on a single boss, when there are no other enemies around does that mean that it will last 5 seconds on that boss and for that whole 5 seconds he will deal 25% less damage? or will the damage reduction only last for 1 second? can anyone clear this up for me?

also if there are say 2 bosses next to each other, will it endlessly spread between them every 0.5 seconds and keep refreshing its 5 second duration?

Yes, as the 1s of reduced target damage will get refreshed every tick of the debuff.

Don’t know, try test it on the groups of training dummies in Fort Ikon.

Spreading debuffs do not spread back to the enemies they came from. But the uptime is from the moment they spread.

yeah i tested it, doesn’t spread back. that would be pretty OP lol. Why does the damage reduction refresh every 1 second? why didn’t they just make it last 5 seconds, the same time as the debuff lasts?

Because the debuff applies damage and effects on every hit. These debuffs are balanced around that. Setting it to 5 seconds would make the damage reduction last from the first tick to 5 seconds after the last tick.
The reason why it is applied on every hit is probably that also some auras apply debuffs. Making both behaving in the same way makes programming (and understanding them) easier. I mean, why having two different mechanics when you can merge them into one without losing parts of these mechanics.

1 Like

God I love spreading effects. There’s something so satisfying in a death knight especially, a war cry to draw them in clustered, then I’ll omen to send them running away terrified spreading it rapidly, and running through like 3 rooms of enemies still running in terror and spreading the ill omen further