I'm just gonna say "fuck it" and make a pet + player hybrid and see how far I make it. And for some fun a give-away competition

Proper pets, no temporary pets or player scaled pets.

I wanted to do this challenge, because of everything I’ve heard regarding pet + player hybrids splitting is that it’s bad.

1 Like

I’m itching to get started, going for Briarthorn since that’s the lead as of now.
I will make a build around hybrid briarthorn + player.

When I die, I will simply check here who had the closest guess. And announce said winner by editing the main post. The price is a steam game of your choice gifted to you (45$ limit). Good luck!

1 Like

If you’re staying away from temp pets, I’d say Briarthorn for something with solid defensive buffs that’s relatively tanky, or maybe Blight Fiend if you want something a little different.

Good luck on the challenge :+1:. I’ve always said to players that the best way to work out what will and won’t work is to just try it and see for yourself. Early AoM, I tried a hybrid pet + player Cabalist around Acid/Poison damage and the Blight Fiends and while it made it to Ultimate, it went downhill from there (granted, I was also a worse builder/player back then).

2 Likes

Hellhound or Blight Fiend, go pet damage only and use them only for their death effect. :brain:
Probably up to SR40.

1 Like

I was theorycrafting and realized there is something I really, really want to do with the hellhound (haven’t seen anyone done this yet). So I’m going for the hellhound instead. Seeing it catched up on the poll also.

1 Like

well you make it a challenge by insisting on a single pet only, so I’m assuming you mean this is as some sort of meme run. if you want a more solid hybrid pet build you want to use a few pets, I posted this one recently and can go up to Sr75-80 on ultimate, this was also really played in hardcore SSF, not a theorycraft:

kymon kennelmaster

EDIT: also FYI i happen to have an unreleased build on my HD that uses hellhound only by insisting on it, it goes up to SR65

1 Like

It isn’t the number of pets more like a… how to phrase it. I feel like a proper pet/player hybrid build has the player in an active combat state (taking damage and dealing damage) in unison with a pet like a 50/50 split of. Almost like treating the pet as a player you’re playing with type of mindset.

I’d like to check your link but I can’t. I’ve never seen or read a single character build guide, and i avoid playing anything I see, or can imagine, others have played a lot. If following a guide or seeing what others has done leaving me with a feeling of having copied a built. Then it’s ruined for me.

In other words, if I look at what you or others might have done to succeed at this (though I appreciate you trying to help!), it would be ruined for me personally and I’d find no joy in playing it.

I actually dumpstered a build I made, thinking I was REALLY creative with that one. Thinking “no way anyone did this”. Then while listening to rektbyprotoss vods while playing, he had actually made that exact build. So I immediately exited and deleted the character.

The reason for this is because when I’ve made my ultimate super niche hipster unique build, and post it here. I can’t take credit for it, if it is too similar to an existing build guide. People would claim I copied it. So I’m going to put the honest disclaimer: “If this is similar to someone else’s build, it is purely coincidental”.

I have to say though, that your “kennelmaster” title scares me a bit. Because the build I’m going for is a 2 x hellhound build. Though 2 x hellhound builds are probably already done, I’m hoping that the super niche way of playing mine, especially as a pet player hybrid build, will stand out.

Ok, i see your point, but you can rest assured my build is not a 2 hellhounds build.

I have posted various hybrid pet builds and scraped the forum for existing ones to make sure I wasn’t posting copies.

I don’t think I have seen any hybrid builds using only one mastery pet at all (probably because many will end up very weak)

I have a similar definition for a hybrid pet build, I would say pet and player need to do roughly 40-60% of the damage, but the pet can be a single pet or just any amount of pets. When pet or player are reduced to doing only 20% dmg or so, the build will likely fail since it is certainly more efficient to drop either player or pet combat entirely. Maintaining a good balance throughout the entire leveling process can be challenging and sometimes a hybrid build can be leveled easier for a while as a non-pet or pure pet build.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Agree on all points. I must say I find it kinda funny the part about “… to drop either player or pet combat completely”. My imagination took hold and I was picturing the Hellhound going “Sorry. It’s not me, it’s you. You are simply not contributing to our team” thus sacking the taken, with the hellhound carrying on as the main character without the player.

I voted for the bird for cool points but the briarthorn is probably the least likely to die

I’d say you’ll die somewhere around ultimate Malmouth a little below lv94 (though lv90 faction gear gives you a solid chance to win) to a combination of malmouth hulks and some heroes

Hm… going to go with Hound, mostly because my very first attempt at a build in GD was blindly running with a Hound + Rifle Pyromancer and not even getting past Krieg…

Also because you can reduce its CD by quite a lot and with their MI offhand, go for a Bomb based build. The pet also has Damage reduction now, so should be a bit better defensively in that sense compared to Briarthorn.

Also, with base damage types being elemental + chaos, should offer for a bit more interesting combination of options.

Now,

1. Lvl 96 (because 69 is too overused :stuck_out_tongue:)
  2. SR/Crucible if doing those. Skeleton Key dungeons if sticking to main campaign (and ignoring SR).
  3. Scenario - Laziness :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

I’m not lazy though.

… ok you got me :wink:

1 Like
  1. lvl 66
  2. malmouth
  3. Gargabol’s volcano

Gargabol is that chtonian boss before Ulgrim right?

No, he’s from Ancient Grove. He drops very good rings for Physical/Fire builds.

He is that one boss that is actually difficult.

Ah I remember! That was my first really close call to dying. I went in there not knowing anything about the place trying to facetank him with my dw aether reaper in elite. My butt still hasn’t unclenched from that.

Meanwhile… I want a Gargabol Pet and then bind Fissure devo proc to it for even more fissures :drooling_face:

1 Like

Hey Maya… I was going to post a feedback post that hellhound and skeletons having to share a set is BS. Then I saw you actually made a post about this in the past. And the official response was “tough luck”. I’m so sad now :frowning:

Basically… if I want 2xHellhound. With the build I’m playing. I’m gonna end up with a bunch of useless crap -.- Like skeleton modifiers and such.

I’m just trying to understand why the skeleton set wasn’t made for a defiler or something. We also have Korvaak’s burning blade being better for every class combo than its intended use (flame touched skeletons). The skeleton - hound situation and korvaak’s blade here. I mean… why did they package skeletons and hounds together it makes no sense.

1 Like

Tbh, the entire situation with Lost Souls set is… weird :frowning:

Not only is it the only Pet set that is for 2 different pets, but also blocks a good number of potentially interesting build varieties for these pets by taking up crucial item slots.

It used to be even worse before when it had forced conversion for Hellhounds. So if you wanted 2 Hounds, your only option was to go Vitality. Thankfully that was changed atleast.

1 Like