Inquisitor Seal Discussion

So, what you are saying, nerf Beronath? :scorv:

Overdue implies that it’s expected, why set yourself up for things like this when you’re just going to be disappointed and complain about them when they inevitably don’t happen? Do you really think they’re going to make significant changes to Cadence and Cadence builds as a whole this far into the game’s lifespan like increasing the charge damage from 100% or lowering the number of attacks to charge it from 2 to 1 etc. (as another person long ago suggested).

Great, but that’s only 1 build in 1 specific scenario. There’s not a lot of data to go off of here nor do we have a build link to see how much investment in Cadence there is and how much impact it could/would have had. You also did not say by how much Beronath beats out Cadence - is it by a few seconds, 30 seconds, full minutes, in what area of the game etc.

In what universe? Overdue implies only what it says. There are many imbalances in this game carried over through time and changes, because you have only so many testers and so many devs(1) working on balance passes. It’s only natural. I do not expect anything. I only give occasional feedback.

You have my word. It was a fun fact, not an invitation for debates. I’d expect that this fact, an AA replacer being stronger than Cadence on a build with full momentum conversion and two weapons for cold Soldier, would be fun for you. I suppose it isn’t.

1 Like

Perhaps overdue was the wrong word to be used or I was reading too far into it. In any event, my apologies for the personal attack.

1 Like

Nerf the shard. Buff the sword. Something like remove retal penalty :scorv: :scorv: :scorv:

In my brief foray into how a melee Elemental tactician would work, I could say off the top of my head:

Better Elemental Jewelry as there’s barely any that gives good skill bonuses + attack speed
Better Gloves as there’s one right now that even gives flat + attack speed and it’s the Dawnshard ones that buff Runes + Guardians of Empiryon
Better WPS, as you have Markovians + Zolhan’s + Seal of the Void as your only real options. Oh, and based off skill point bonuses and stats, which one of the dual-wield enabling medals looks the most appealing?
You can’t really benefit from Deadly Momentum or Steel Resolve because there’s no equipment that gives Elemental Damage + points to these abilities. Steel Resolve confuses me because the very skill gives Elemental Damage + flat Physical to convert.
You still have to deal with crap like Grava who boasts a high resistance to both Fire and Lightning, and Grava eats up Melee builds anyway.

I could go on, but even my brief look into it reveals a lot of flaws that can’t be tapered over by something like a Tactician.

1 Like

Can’t these roll with elemental damage?

Aleksander’s Chausses

Kubacabra’s Chausses

But I guess you need to get max skill rank to cadence first so these might be needed

Mythical Leggings of Arcane Currents

It would be nice if there are items/sets bonus extend the AoE range of Seal, as I find it distraction as I have to recast Seal everytime I move on (especially in Cru/SR) as a melee char. For ranger/caster, it’s fine as they mostly standstill or kite all the time.

Actually Arcanist has no standard %RR, so there is nothing to talk about.

You mean no one of the five persons who posts builds on the forum?

Not even mageslayer set builds?

So no one’s gonna talk about the transmuter? I probably saw it being used once and it was support class I believe, like Augur or something.

I used it on some of my purifiers, aura build and mortar build. No idea if it helped or not

It only used to have the cast speed penalty if I remember right, so every auto-attacker took it (Deathmarked Infiltrators notably to stack tons of deflect between the set + Null Field + Shadow Dance).

Since it was a no-brainer pick for a group of builds, i guess the attack speed penalty got introduced so some thought has to go into the decision of taking it or not. Since then though as you say, I can’t recall many builds picking it up. It’s very rare an Inquisitor/x is going to have excess cast speed outside of temporary procs unless they’re a Mage Hunter probably, the same goes for an Inquisitor/x having excess attack speed outside of temporary procs.

Ah yes, the health regen one. That makes sense.

Yep. Back then it was just free 25% avoid. I mean, right now it seems like a rather fair trade, but I’m wondering if adjusting it slightly would make it more appealing if one desires for extra survivability.

So what I’m thinking is:

• increase AS penalty to 15%;
  • decrease projectile avoidance to 15-20%;
  • add 15-20% melee dodge.

So for builds that don’t have AS/CS overcapped it would be a rather heavy DPS penalty, but extra dodge could sweeten the deal.

But due to already low casting speed, placing mortars etc can be kinda clunky…

Yeah some dodge could be cool.

1 Like

100% support adding dodge, yes yes yes! Harry the Has-been will love this change!

1 Like

Yes, they can roll with those bonuses, but you’re starting to see where the struggle lies. Having multiple pieces competing for a slot is a healthy thing, but that competition becomes useless when you have things like Rings, Gloves, and a DW Enabler slot (medal or relic) that give nothing helpful for your class combination. Now there’s only so many equipment pieces you can make and so many affixes, but it’s not like Nightblade where all you need is 3 greens where you can plop “of Amaturasa’s Flurry” and get all the bonuses to Lethal Assault you want while also helping patch up whatever resistances you need.

The weapon itself gives bonuses to 5! different classes - Soldier, Inquisitor, Arcanist, Oathkeeper, and Demo, but does anyone think that people are going to make some sort of Elemental EoR or DW melee Sorceror or Purifier? Consolidating it so that the +Overload is replaced with +Steel Resolve would certainly help melee Inquisitor on the damage front.

To bring up another point, do people think that Inquisitor Seal is in a good enough place that you can afford something like a lower than average Armor or Physical Resistance because the Seal soaks enough of those hits? In my experience, the thing that kills people most in SR is going from 75% to dead because of a Crit or bad mutators, and the thing that kills people most in Crucible is not having enough damage to deal with getting hit with Reaper + Iron Maiden when Reaper gives you that 30 RR swipe. Seal doesn’t help with any of that.

On the transmuter point, I think the reduced attack speed should come with a larger benefit like 50% Skill Disruption. Between pools that slow, pools that cause fumble, pools that disrupt, standing in one spot is costly, and typically is solved by taking procs like Arcane Currents and Seekers that don’t care about fumble pools. I don’t think any of that can be dodged or avoided through that particular bonus.

2 Likes

Think seal is in a pretty good state, helps my squishy casters a lot. My biggest issue is it takes forever to activate after casting which makes repositioning a little awkward. Maybe buff transmuter as mentioned.

I played a lot of Tactician recently, as I enjoy playing anti-meta classes and trying to see if I can find a working build despite the meta shifting away from said classes. However, Tactician has counter-intuitive abilities in both of its skill trees, making the class a pain to play.

Cadence is anti-synergistic with the WPS from the same class tree while also punishing 2h builds by giving them 2 weak attacks and then the 3rd often is either overkill or a complete flop if you roll the low end of the weapon dmg. I also really dislike Seal from a mechanical/design standpoint because if it were a card in a TCG/CCG, it would be called a “win more” card, i.e. good in scenarios where you have already won and thus you don’t need the card and in scenarios where you are behind you would have rather had something else.

The flat absorb on the Seal means that it’s best against DoTs or against large packs of weaker enemies. DoTs can make you flee, thus losing the absorb, thus dying to the DoT, so the seal incentivizes going full retard if you are melee, which means you will eventually hit a brick wall that will kill you because you can no longer outabsorb and outleech it. % absorb in theory does not start out as strong as flat (but melee builds, and especially Soldier, does not need it to start out strong - they have 100% armor absorb and 3k+ armor for that), but also does not have this unbeatable brick wall in some X SR room.

Meanwhile against large packs of weaker enemies you want to kill and move to the other pack ASAP. To make Seal’s flat shine against bosses - where you need absorb the most - you are actively encouraged to overcap on a class combo that is already very skill point starved - as all WPS builds are - for if you are an auto attacker, Cadence+WPS is up to 5-8 nodes you need to juggle points for. Casters (including fake casters like Blade Arc casters) instead focus everything into a much smaller amount of nodes and invest the rest into offensive and defensive passives or overcaps.

IMO, mechanically the ability should have been, or should be reworked - if still possible for the current state of the game - into 1 of these:

1. % absorb (I don’t play classes with easy-to-get % Absorb, so I don’t know how effective it is, maybe % Absorb is regarded as worse than flat, but % Damage Reduction is very valuable)
  2. converted into a value-point ability via logarithmic progression on the flat absorb per skill pts spent. This would reduce the amount of cases where the player wastes 12 points on a skill that is not used against trash/heroes - he would have been better off against trash/heroes with 12 points in DPS abilities.
1 Like

My suggestion about Inquisitor seal:
decrease cd to 3 or 4 seconds.
No-cdr characters suffers from such long cd, especially when they have to be mobile and move a lot, and this are not OP because of summon limit.

4 Likes