Integrated GPU settings to try

Had to play on a laptop without discrete card and I came up with these settings that were playable.

It was an Alienware m17x with i7+intel hd4000. Normal res 1920x1080 but game was unplayable at that res, moved to 1280x720 and the other settings shown in shot above gave best performance after 15-20 minutes of tweaking. YMMV, but if you can, test GD out on integrated cards and report back here if you can get it playable.

Some screens of game on this config attached.

humm… noticed you played a bit zoomed in in the screenshots… didn’t thought about that. Have to test if it have some benefits to do so (since, obviously, there’s less things to render) :undecided:
( Trying to make it playable on a cheap netbook )

The in game zoom was not meant to be part of my optimization for my busted laptop, I always play that way.

so you burnt out your alien’s graphics cards… no replacements or is the mainboard damaged as well? :(:frowning: poor old alien.

Went through 2 7970m cards before the warranty was up. Never again.

Hot running mobile cards and plugging into external monitors is a deadly combo… oh yeah and lets not forget playtesting the shit of GD and your xmax mod :D:D:D:D:D:D You’re a wild man bro!

I’m also curious to see how well grimdawn runs on integrated laptop graphics. I imagine amd apus would run the best.

Here is a recap for me (FPS on the top right of screenshots)
: http://imgur.com/a/ueEcH

Not glorious at all :frowning:
And that’s with laptop plugged in, nothing running except GD, steam and FRAPS.
Windows 10, see CPU in the screenshots. “GPU” is HD Graphics 405 i think.
eMMC replaced by SSD.

Can still play my 100% retaliation guy tho :smiley:

Edit: Also, I think Crate did a terrible job regarding optimization in this game compared to other ARPG: I just checked Diablo2, and it runs flawlessly. Even with 1080p mod !

I really don’t have words for this…

3D game from 2016 doesn’t run as well as a 2D game from 2000 when you’re trying to use integrated graphics (well below required system specs)?

There’s always room for improvement for optimization (and it’s something we work on with every build to some degree), but that’s a tad extreme of a comparison…

You didnt know ? Diablo 2 is obviously a milestone reference to test modern hardware. :rolleyes:

No kidding! Just LOL! Maybe think before you post people?

Wow…is it far-fetch that the second shot reminded me of dungeon siege 2?:undecided:

I thought he was being sarcastic, not sure it’s possible to actually think comparing d2 to even TQ is a fair comparison.

I once installed Grim Fandango on a netbook and it ran ok. But that was a pretty bare bones game.

Well… actually I was being sarcastic… :rolleyes: , sorry.

More seriously tho, I don’t necessarily want improvements (as I know that it can be very time consuming, and priority may be elsewhere), but if it even is possible, having a possibility to “uglify” the game more drastically (like somewhere in a xml, cfg, a mod ?) could be nice for such (not officially supported, I get it) use case.

Still, it wpuld be a good idea to optimize grimdawn for newer integrated amd cards and apus that utilize vulcan/mantle perhaps?

Vulkan/Mantle is a different 3D API from DirectX (basically the successor to OpenGL), I don’t think you can benefit from that unless you move to it

No GPU ‘utilizes’ Vulkan, they have drivers for it, just like they do for DirectX. The game has to use it, the benefit is supposedly the lower overhead, much like that was the promise for DirectX 12.

I could run all medium at 1366x768 acceptably on my a10 6800k. I imagine the 5800 and maybe 5600 wouldn’t run much worse either. Can’t except miracles though. Oh and keep in mind that driver support has stopped for these older chips, it’s now kaveri and newer.

I still don’t know about vulcan. My only experience so far with vulcan is with The Talos Principle, and that runs considerably worse under Vulcan compared to DX11. I’ve heard that DOOM really flies with vulcan, but I’m not that keen on shooters to get it yet.

Then how about this comparison, I can run the current build of Path of Exile flawlessly on my Intel HD 4000 graphics, but in Grim Dawn I’m getting around 8 (or less) FPS. Have you ever tried running GD with 8 FPS? It’s really fun!

Have you tried to get past act 1 in PoE? In areas with as much grass as GD has on average, it tanks FPS more.