Items scalability

I have been Grim Dawn, for quite some time.

But one thing that starts to annoy me a bit, is that you pretty much find your items you need for your build at level 50 - 60, and then you really never change them, even a levelt +90

How can it be, that items doesn’t scale much better than they do at this point?

And yes, i’m not a super grinder/farmer, that have the itch to grind 10 hours for one certain item. Its just not my thing.

I go through the difficulties Veteran to Ultimate, and if nothing great drops, then thats life.

But the scalability from my experience stops at 50 - 60, and then you can run around with those items litterally to the end of the build.

Its a bit too sad. I miss a better drop rate of actual better items, when you’re at level 90 and it still can’t beat your level 50 gear, then something is wrong I think.

It would help if you gave some examples.

If you can’t find anything good between level 50-90 from drops, I find faction gear is always a good place to check at level 65 and 90 for Coven of Ugdenbog/Barrowholm/Malmouth Resistance and level 70 for the others.

It’s also worth checking craftable weapons, some of those random Blueprints for Epics aren’t half bad for levelling and are easy to make.

sounds pretty much impossible given that we have a full tier at 75 and 94

And yes, i’m not a super grinder/farmer, that have the itch to grind 10 hours for one certain item. Its just not my thing.

and if trading isn’t either, then this pretty much is the explanation (or at least a contributing factor)

Its a bit too sad. I miss a better drop rate of actual better items, when you’re at level 90 and it still can’t beat your level 50 gear, then something is wrong I think.

agreed, but that is not really my experience uniques scale up, affixes scale up and base items scale up, so there is nothing that prevents you from finding better items really

Examples would be good here, as Evil_Baka already mentioned

I can think of a grand total of one example (Handguards of Justice) that can be build-dependant considered better in their lower level form.

Anything else either has a mythical form at level 75+ or at least has direct upgrades.

Even w/o trading I rarely end up at level 100 with more than a third of my items being in the level 50-60 range…and those are almost always items that give +1 class X skills.

Curious…How is handguard of justice better than its non-mythical version?

If you are doing a Forcewave build that is not fire based. Because Mythical Justicar gloves convert all physical to fire in Forcewave.

Hmm. I mean. I’d question item choice then. Why not Octavius + colossal grasp?

Because Colossal Grasp has no cast speed and it’s for shield builds? And no +2 to Forcewave. The only time this can happen is with a 2H build.

Because you really want FW at 26/16.

A bunch of caster off-hands can be favorable as non-mythicals, mostly the ones that don’t get skill mods as mythicals, just slight increase on stats/proc damage since that’s not always worth around 150 less physique.

I gues this is a “generational” issue :). We “older” players would most likely to think 2h tremor first when we see the word “forcewave” since before octavius (and AoM) that was the only fw worth doing.

I might be wrong though.

Can’t you get 26/16 FW even without the gloves?

Granted, I’m talking out of my bum here, but running octavius helm, shoulders, chest, stonefist, Sigil of the bear king, ammies, belt, relic…

Is that still inadequate to get 26/16?

The cast speed portion I totally understand. That is a very valid point. Still though…grasp of unchained might offers both cast speed and flat physical dmg

Well, this is my no-green setup:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkqGy4V

I could use oleron’s belt over gladiator’s (though i would lose that nice flat damage from second rite) but that’s still just 25 without the gloves.

Using greens like stoneplate greaves would worsen the situation even further :).

All in all, sacrificing other slots for it (like medal or ammie) seems to be unfavorable (to me at least).

What about m. Mark of kalastor?

With olerons belt…26/16

I’m not sure how much second rite offers in terms of flat damage, but you’re also denying yourself the flat damage from both grasp of unchained might, olerons belt, the +skills, and a 12 skill point cost of second rite.

Would need math to more accurately assess the situation, but i think it’s worth exploring.

The crit damage and cast speed on bear king medal is invaluable, and the 59 flat damage on second rite is 2.5-3 armor slot worth of flat damage, and 25 vitality resist. And gladiator belt gives a huge OA boost and more resist over oleron’s (those resist could matter when you’re not using greens).
Unchained might’s flat damage is still a loss over second rite’s, and skill point’s are plenty on the build so the only thing i feel bad for is the low armor value of the non-mythical gloves, but i won’t lose sleep over that with almost 60% physical resist :).

While most likely not the best setup (well, considering it has no greens, it’s definetly not the best setup) but it’s still eases through all main game content (except Mog and Ravager of course whom i didn’t even bothered to try :)).
And he uses lvl 68 gloves lol ;).

PS: I don’t really play cruci so i can’t be sure about 170 capability, but i assume it could do it (based on the builds posted here doing it), but if it’s not you can’t blame the gloves alone imho :).

No. You’re absolutely right. I was just thinking out loud truth be told.
Maybe the issue then isn’t about item scalability so much so as it’s a lack of support?

I think the m. justice gloves does exactly what it’s intended to do, and that’s to support fire FW.