I've been gone from GD for 2+ years... what's new?

Hi guys

I played GD a lot a couple of years ago (my fave since D2 and TQ), but dropped out when I got to the top difficulty - reason being that my PC got too bogged down with the massive mobs / screen effects, so I intended to upgrade before continuing the game.

Fast forward to now, and I want to get back to it. However I notice that I’m probably waaay behind on the changes that have happened. I still only have original GD and GDStash v.1.1.2, which I can’t even remember how to use.

So, for someone returning to GD, can anybody give me a few pointers for what I need to do to catchup?

Firstly I think I need to pick up the “Grim Dawn Definitive Edition” to get the new questions/classes etc. Anything else or anything in particular? Is there a new GD stash? Will my old one still work? Any core changes to gameplay I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
El P.

2 Likes

Hey! Welcome back, and boy do you have some good times ahead of you!

First thing I’d do if I was you, since you know you love the game, is pick up the 2 expansions. Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods. This will give you a total of 3 new classes to experiment with, and a ton of great content and new gear and stuff!

I would just start there. Other people can suggest other things but shoot, I’m putting myself in your shoes and am so envious of you. I wish I could go back to rediscover the expansions for the first time again.

1 Like

Welcome back. Boy do you have a lot to catch up on! :rofl:

No idea on exactly when you stopped, but maybe start reading the GM’s from this point onward to see how much has changed

#169 was posted at the end of March so happy reading.

Yes, GDStash is still around - one of the most popular tools for the game. The latest version is here

but I’d ask mamba if you need to install any older ones first if yours is way behind.

You should be able to jump straight to the current version. To be safe, make a copy of your database (C:\users\username\GDStash) first.

Delete the copt if the import if GD data in the latest version was successful, including the update of your stored items.

Game performance has improved somewhat due to new rendering options and 64 bit. Just don’t expect 144hz particle raves

Dude, welcome back! You’ll have a lot of Fun.

Thank you for the input guys!

I’ll pick up the “definitive edition” - looks like it contains: Ashes of Malmouth, Forgotten Gods, and Crucible.

Since it has been so long, I’m thinking about starting again from scratch (but keeping my items of course)…

I have a lvl 85 Rifle Sorcerer, lvl 75 Caster Druid, and lvl 75 Bleed Warder. Oh and a lvl 75 Blade Crossbow Blademaster… might rebuild some of them (the druid was REALLY promising) and also experiment with the new classes.

What do guys think? Restart from scratch?

To be honest so much has changed plus the fact you’ll have the expansions as well it might be more fun to start afresh.

Sounds good. Is there anything in particular that might make me want to restart / rebuild some of my old builds? New devotions to consider etc?

Definitely. New devotions, the expansions bring 3 new masteries to play with and things like Skill Modifiers. I mean just have a look in the Build Compendium X to compare what you have with other more recent builds.

1 Like

Great. I think that settles it. I will probably restart with something familiar like my caster Druid and then bring in some of the new masteries :slight_smile:

As far as I can see, the fundamentals haven’t changed, i.e. dump spare stat points in physique, OA + crit is still king, and simply look for synergies for your skills and masteries. Am I right?

And, the way I always played is to grab the mastery that catches my eye at the time, and then add another mastery to it that seems to synergize most, rather than trying to pick two masteries ahead of time and follow some pre-set, cookie-cutter build. Still a viable way to play?

these days, stats in cunning and spirit also give health for instance.

if I were you, I would just approach GD as a brand new game :slight_smile:

Oh lord things have changed!!

Yeah, which is why I suggested reading the GM’s from #100 onwards. And even then they don’t cover everything. For example once you get a character into Ultimate Forgotten Gods you can buy Merit Tokens which allow a new character to skip Normal and Elite difficulties and start in Ultimate if you want. Go to 14 minutes in and start watching

Also works when you get a character to Elite FG, you can buy a Merit Token to skip Normal and start in Elite.

Oh, and also these too.

Thank you for your invaluable input guys. I’ve now rolled a new Inquisitor and enjoying the return greatly. Game also seems to perform a little better too.

@ mamba, thank you for your input. I seem to have gotten the stash working - the hard way! Downloaded the new one, ran it, but it was returning a bunch of errors. Panicked. Readme.txt didn’t have anything, couldn’t find another readme guide. Thought it might be a problem with the old db/GDStash.ini files in Documents. Made backups and deleted them from that original location. Then remembered you need to import database. Did that successfully. Replaced the old db/GDStash.ini files. Rebooted the stash. Then it asked me to import the database AGAIN! Did that successfully, now seems to be working :smiley:

Yes, there have been several improvements to the game thanks to the upcoming Xbox port.

Actually, I’ve encountered a small issue with GDStash.

I can make a new thread about it, but unsure which subforum, so thought I’d ask here.

Now that I’ve restarted, what I planned to do was this: move every item from my existing characters inventories and stashes to my GDStash database, that isn’t already there. Then delete old characters.

I started by MOVING (not copying) some of the items sat in the Transfer stash. When I do this, they obviously disappear from the Stash, and go to the database. However, when I load up the game, those items are still physically sat in the Transfer stash. I wonder why this is, and does this indicate further impending issues?

You need to make sure you are pushing the Save button in GD Stash after performing such operations.

Any issues with GDStash post straight into the thread itself, that way mamba will see it.