Jalex's Environment Preview #2

Nice pics it’s very gothic more gothic than Diablo 3 even though Diablo 3 has demons it doesn’t seem gothic at all I like ur blood bath it would be Cool for demons to spawn in the blood bath

What else would I be talking about?

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50967&postcount=6

EDIT: And we should really stop hijacking this thread…I mean really. All have been said on this topic.

Enjoy the greatness of the master Jalex now! =)

Nice :rolleyes::eek:

with the game looking this good, I really wish I could play it, but anyway, I think there is going to be a lot of treats for us players to find and discover once the game is out, and this place is near on the top of my place to clear out! unless there are other interesting places to find on the way, which there probably might be

I got to say, Im truly hyped for this, and looks like the KS money / pre orders is well and truly been well spent,

keep it up all

edit

maybe this is a bit off yopic, but after thinking about it, in many ARPG games I played, there wasn’t really much to look at or stand back and enjoy the scenery or even to say, something like, this level was pre made or the environments were created by someone, and that I would raise a glass thanking whoever made this area or monsters or something like that

but I think in GD, after a bit of monster killing, I could see myself just looking places like this over a moment or two, and say this was created by someone, that the monsters were made by someone, and the tables / chairs / level extras were made by someone and they all come together to help make rooms / levels that this a real joy to visit,

dont know about the rest of you, but I think this game will be awesome to stop and look things over. and I really don’t think I do that enough or really do that at all, as some levels or games aren’t worth doing that. but if the levels in GD are this good, I could start doing this

Matt, this is so true!! I cannot think of any arpg…and frankly not many other games either, where I would stop to look and think about the environment and what’s behind it. Grim Dawn will trully be unique experience. =)

@ Matt, yeah that sounds just about right, never done that in a ARPG before. Did it in Skyrim, I just stopped and looked … and it was magnificent.

Looks juicy :eek:.

@Gibly - I was thinking about this - possibly I will put a border around the back wall of the pool … though I kind of like the idea of cultists having to wade through blood to hang new bodies. Nothing shows you’re committed to your job like that…

Looks good Jalex,
I think I’l have to add a vote for cultists wading through the waist high blood to hang a new body. As you say, nothing says commitment to the cause like that. Plus if your trying to raise a demon and you don’t mind killing hundreds of poor defenceless villagers to do so, why would you care about a little bit of blood on you robes, ha what do you think they were dyed in in the first place. :smiley:
Hmmm, maybe a view of the cultist robe dyeing workshop next? :stuck_out_tongue:

that sounds like an interesting idea? but would it be entertaining to write about? :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have to walk through pools of blood on your way to your desk? If so, awesome.

The whole wading through blood to hang corpses could be a way to achieve status in said cult. For example, the different color belts in martial arts originally comes from the students wearing the same whit belt whenever they would train and the belt becoming darker and darker as it got more stained from training outside. In this same way cultists could have a higher status or rank as their robes become stained a deeper and deeper red from showing devotion and wading through the pool to hang bodies.

you know that is a pretty good idea, and wonder if it it might be possible to infiltrate the faction, and have some quests that try and determine your loyalty by having some dark and twisted quests, or even to chose to side with the cultists rather then bringing them to justice, and if you do join the cultists, they give you some powerful and rare items or abilities, maybe to summon powerful demons. don’t know, I think with a bit of thought, this could be an interesting set of quests whichever side you pick

I wade through empty cans of beer and mt dew on the way to my desk at home is that good enough?

YAY! I do love a good gore fest!

It is a cool idea. But still…

wading through a pool of blood will stain it for usage in rituals.
at least that is how i see it.

Incredible. It is nice to see a variation in the first pic of one room with clutter, and one room with a more open space, with the natural bottleneck of the doorway in between.

One thing that I am not sure about is with the blood pool in the third picture. I’m not entirely sure if the level of detail with regards to the corpses on the wall and the pool of blood is working well with the purple-red light source. It seems like there is too much red which hinders the contrast. The blood pool doesn’t seem as clear as it could be, and the corpses don’t seem to be showing up too well. I understand the room is dark, but that corner strikes me more as a dark corner which, well, blink and I’ll miss it.

Of course, I am acutely aware it does not reflect final game quality. I know you are the professional Jalex, and I am always impressed by the work you and the rest of the Crate team put out, but I certainly what to provide a suggestion. Or at least, that is what I am trying to frame it as.

I am really, truly looking forward to fighting my way through these environments. It is just what I’ve been looking for in an ARPG. It really is shaping up to be the most environmentally pleasing game I’ve experienced in a long time, with the wonderful mix of environments that are coming into the game.

Cultists wearing bloodstained waders would be awesome!

Edit: Add some bloody footprints on the stairs into and the area near the blood spa to really sell it!

What I want to know is how you got a photo of my bathroom… perverts :stuck_out_tongue:

I love the look of the medievil lab of pain, death and blood. That is the look we The Cult of Crate needs for our own secret diabolical laboratory.

Brother Matt, conscript the slaves for construction and abduct a good designer, ensuring you threaten his/her family if they don’t create a plan per our specifications!

This is indeed Diablo II ish. Awesome !! been waiting this for years.
I caught the heartbeating atmosphere when seeing the pictures…

Nice one, Jalex. :smiley: