Just make the Spirit Guide free

Level 59 and I’m bored with this game already.

Just make the Spirit Guide no-charge free so players can be creative and experiment.

Increasing $ penalty to re-spend mastery points to experiment with new ideas or newly dropped gear is just dumb. Discourages trying new things and rewards just being a build-guide clone. I don’t want to copy-paste from a “build guide” and be the same robot as everyone else; at least not when discovering the game. The $ cost to craft an item 100 times to get random stats that actually fit your character is $ sink enough if that’s the intention of the Spirit Guide cost was intended for.

create another character

1 Like

Obviously, that’s a weak suggestion. Who has time for that?

1 Like

Learn how to use GD Stash then and give yerself all the money you want. Problem solved.

Or you can even respec via the program, no money involved. Problem solved part two.

They won’t remove the cost associated and I think I can state that with a high degree of confidence, so time to buck up and learn to use what’s available.

Also of note: that increasing cost? Yeah, that caps out eventually and stops rising anyway.

2 Likes

If you craft 100s of items to get the affixes you want and are level 59, stop that, then you have the money for the guide.

Personally I never craft like that, but if you do, this is something you do at level 100, stop wasting your money…

4 Likes

I have played diablo 3 and poe and yes even though you can craft until you get some perfect item, it does not matter that much unless you are building something incredibly difficult and you need that one conduit or something. No compared to those games, the eternal grind ends in grim dawn and fun building and SR -ing begins. I like that about this game. Literally 2 SR runs gives me enough to respec a char. I think that is very reasonable and still feeling impactful when changing something. You have to be somewhat sure what you are doing.

Hm, to my knowledge GD’s respec system is the most “free” and least restrictive. In Titan Quest the cost was getting out of hand really fast and you couldn’t take points of mastery bar; in Torchlight 2 you could only respec the last 3 skill points, which is kinda BS; in Diablo 2 you could only respec 1 time per difficulty for free.

In GD, though, respeccing the first coupla hundreds of points is dirt cheap. Like you, I was experimenting a lot with my first character, trying new shit and adapting to gear I find. He’s now sitting on something like ~4k iron bits per point right now, but I was respeccing him A LOT.

Basically what others say - you get so many bits from killing things, opening chests (especially Treasure Troves for a source accessible to new players) and selling greens that the Spirit Guide may as well be free.

As for Aether Crystals, there’s a ton if you rift to the Warden’s Lab and go back. If you outlevel the area there’s Stonerend Quarry or the Immolation later.

This isn’t discouraging, if anything GD’s method of respec is one of the best I have seen in any RPG ever.

Discouraging player experimentation would be TL2’s method of respec for an example - you can only ever remove the last 3 skill points spent. Some skills you cannot even try or test for 30-40 levels towards the end of the first playthrough.

From my entire time of playing this game, since the first hour I started this game as an absolute ARPG noob, I never had the issue of not having enough iron bits to reskill my points. No, I wasnt following any guide either and yes, I tried multiple skills. I rerolled my char once before beating loghorrean in ultimate at lvl 85, which were the final boss and highest level back then.

Compared to PoE or LE where you have to relevel your skills it’s less punishing to invest only a couple bits and you’re done.

Anyway imo GD’s spirit guide is rather generous.
May I ask what level your char is, what items you keep to sell and how many skills you have respecced? To me it seems like you respecced 24/7 while still being level 15 and not picking up any greens to sell.

You should only ever do that at lvl 100. If you do that before lvl 100 and you aren’t happy with your item after a max of 5 crafts, you’re being punished by the game for being way too picky.

Creating more than 1 character is part of grim dawn’s endgame by design.

4 Likes

So, you´re writing in a forum for a boring game. Cause that´s more fun?

1 Like

you need to respec an absurd amount of time before spirit buide price begins to matter
and by that i mean you can easily respec enough to try every single skill in a class
if you are respeccing way more than that, then we are indeed in the realm of you should maybe start a new char territory, and just make it more focused

luckily the game is modable, so you can totally just get over the cost hurdle of respecs
but for vanilla game, imo in no way should constant respeccing be free, needs to be a partial “consequence” to a choice i feel

1 Like

I have a character that has currently a 15k iron bits fee for skill respeccing and that’s after respeccing for like 5 or 6 completely different builds. Probably like at the bare minimum, 500 points respecced, most likely way more.

And the entire game actively encourages making new characters, so the respec fee becomes an even smaller issue.

If you became bored by the time you reached level 59, I don’t think removing the cost from Spirit Guide will change your mind.

Exactly. It’s so core necessary to even play the game - why is there a $ barrier to it? Just make the player pay per mouse click if you want to tax everything that’s required to play. /s

Best comment so far is suggesting gd-stash is the answer. As if needing a cheat tool isn’t symbolic of a game design problem.

You need it. I don’t.

don’t worry, it wont get higher than that :grin:

To encourage the player to make more characters. That’s literally one of the pillars of the design of the game. And if you don’t like it, too bad.

There’s enough flexibility to allow the player to respec a few builds with the same character, but not enough to make it sustainable. Because the game wants the player to try other characters, and you are gonna have to do it anyway if you want to try other mastery combos.

And if anything, this game has one of the more lenient respecing systems in gaming. Far, far worse respec systems out there.

No, you’re just rejecting ideal solutions to your problem, if there even is one. Not to bash @Norzan but for the average player, there is rarely if any reason to spend so many bits that you shuffle your character’s build around 5-6 times. I highly doubt you’re going to get even remotely close to that point.

You easily end up with hundreds of thousands (or even millions at end game) of bits while playing and the respec price starts at a couple hundred or so, unless you go through respeccing a massively obscene amount of times, more than you would have to to try every skill once and respec your character’s build entirely at endgame 3+ times, the bits price is basically non-existent.

If you don’t have the bits to respec or can’t farm for them, I have to question why you’re still playing this game.

If the Spirit Guide was too expensive, you would see far more people complaining about it. In all of my years as part of the community, I don’t recall seeing more than around 5 people feel it’s too much and you are one of them.

That character i mentioned was the only i did that and that was me being a dumb dumb. And my point was to prove that even if you do it, it takes a while to reach that level of respec cost.

And yes, the average player isn’t gonna do it because they most likely gonna play the game with like a character or two and then drop the game.

1 Like

you completely misunderstood his point, he said the respec cost is fine…

it absolutely is not indicative of a game design problem, as it has many features the game rightfully does not have

Just because a cheat for something exists does not mean it fixes a problem the game should have addressed, just think of all the infinite lives / health / invulnerability cheats