Just make the Spirit Guide free

they probably fail to click the right button there as well…

1 Like

I didn’t realize you were the one making this change, my mistake.

Most won’t bother to reach a point where they interact with “us seasoned players.”

I’m not, but I am arguing against it being necessary but if you want to hear me acknowledge it: I know that the choice is ultimately up to Crate and I’m not about to trash the game over the Spirit Guide being made free if it happens. I largely just see it not making a major difference in how players - both old and new - play the game.

Evidently though, the ones that struggle and have made their voice heard are willing to sign up to the forums here and discuss it. Seems good enough to me, no?

I mean, if we go by your telling of it then Grim Dawn must have failed miserably and the millions of sales don’t actually exist since everyone clearly refunded in complete frustration eh?

:smirk:

Only for them to ever be shot down by the ever-negative-progress duo of @mamba and @powbam , who between them collectively have decried many now-present QoL matters in the game over the years.

Yay, go us!

The point about you not being the one making this change is that I am truly perplexed why there is so much opposition to it. It doesn’t affect you whatsoever. Why are you so invested in making sure people continue to have a bad time with this mechanic? Do you reap some cut of people’s irritation?

This whole thing reminds me of Runescape, where the worst skill to level in the game - Runecrafting - has repeatedly seen attempts at alleviating the tedium of its leveling process shot down by veterans who don’t want to give new players any easier shot at things than they originally had. If I had to suffer, so does everyone else!

2 Likes

I think the entire issue is being looked at wrongly by everyone against it on the basis of “I didn’t have any problems with this, so there is no issue here”.

If some are bothered by it and it gets changed to suit them, does that take away anything meaningful from the game or from the rest of us? That is, does it affect us or Grim Dawn negatively?

And if not, then what does anyone stand to lose from this? Slippery slope fallacies aside, anyways…

Sure, the devs do have to allocate time to it, but I cannot speak for whether or not they consider this to be worthy of their time and effort. Neither can any of the playerbase.

Also, I don’t think the game can be considered as an “Hardcore ARPG” if the assessment that most of the playerbase are casual players who don’t even go past normal story mode, even if that was the original intention or vision for GD. And expecting them to interact with the community for every little thing is bit of a… yeah… wishful thinking / not happening kind of deal.

Do you have a running tally on this? Because believe it or not I’ve actually championed a number of QoL over the years. Or are you just generalizing blindly in an attempt to deflect and write us off?

I could ask why you are so in favour of it as well frankly but you wrote a massive post above detailing why.

I have not insinuated that I enjoy making people suffer, don’t know where you’ve got that from or if you’re just twisting my approach against me now. The first poster posited a problem - they were struggling to respec because they think that having the Guide require bits is a problem, so many players in here, me included, tried to provide them with a solution that the amount of bits needed to respec is low and that bits are easy to gather while playing the game normally based on our experience. Is there something wrong with that?

The running tally is mamba appearing in more or less every Ideas and Feedback thread that’s gained any traction, usually opposing the first poster’s suggestion, and you dropping longwinded but constructive negative reviews into praet chat under the pretense of getting people to laugh at them…which rarely happens.

There’s nothing wrong with offering to help, but if they were looking for gameplay advice or build advice, they wouldn’t be in Ideas and Feedback.

1 Like

Sure, perhaps our advice was unsolicited. But the point still remains therein that they wouldn’t have their problem if they followed the advice provided.

If we all return to the OP, the underlying issue is: how does one play the game?

It seems the OP has frequently changed gear and skills, experimenting and thus spent all the iron, which kind of goes against design of the game - choose something and stick to it (hence being locked in two masteries) and if you make a mistake with skills you can reattribute them at a cost, again to force you to stick with certain skills.

If one could change skills with no fees the next would be masteries, which again would go against the design of the game. We wouldn’t be making new characters, but remold the old one constantly.

Experimenting and learning new things is a part of GD experience, but so are some restrictions - for the better or worse.

I don’t want to instruct anyone how to play the game, but - people play the game following its mechanics, not by nullifying them as there would be no game.

Once upon a time, there was no way to reset attributes…

…and then the mechanics changed.

But what is the design of the game?

And can anyone say with absolute certainty that said design hasn’t changed during the course of the game? Attributes can be taken as an example since with AoM, you can respec them.

Also, is changing the original design even if for QoL features, inherently bad?

Is it a core mechanic or not? Think about it.

thinks

Yes.

1 Like

I disagree.

How are attributes not a core mechanic, but respec’ing skills costing iron bits, is?

They have less of an impact than skills, even more than masteries themselves. We are forced to choose the masteries and choose the skills - they impact the gameplay the most. Attributes, not much, it’s just some passive fluff.

That totally affect what equipment you can use, and therefore which skills and Devotions you have access to.

Not really, devotions and items can make up for that. Which is a workaround the problem. Hence not a problem. Tell me. How do you workaround the two masteries? Not counting the mods, in no way…