Let us talk about mechanics in endgame, seriously

Most legendaries actually have piss for stat density. The general allure of legendaries lies in the stats that occur on them that are not otherwise easy to obtain in such combinations on rare items. +1 mastery, conversion, set bonuses, physical resist and various CC resists, RR, that one juicy skill modifier… The reason legendary boots and pants just got buffed was because they had so few stats on them it was either a case of picking among 3-4 decent ones or stuffing an MI in the slot with one affix that gave it more stats than any of the legendaries.

1 Like

I think RR and DA reduction are a couple of the worst mechanics enemies can apply because (at least in my experience) you often don’t even know it’s happened or how bad it is, you just suddenly pop with no warning.
At least with arcane balls and hard CC’s you have visible feedback and you quickly learn who does what and when to stay away from them.
Maybe a lot of RR attacks are telegraphed too but to this day after quite a lot of hours playtime, a large majority of them are a mystery to me because there’s nothing obvious in game that says your stats are all mangled now.

2 Likes

so many debuffs are constantly re-applied (you can see the durations of those refreshed in less than a second) with a variety of attacks and most of aoe apply them. Skill diruptions by player do not affect them, diruptions affect nothing honestly on bosses. You can use few nullifying abilities with huge cds, but debuffs will be refreshed in a second… What you can do is to dodge huge dot nukes, these are telegraphed well.

If you are referring to the screenshot, that’s me who is using GI, not toapeiron. I just left it on for demonstration purposes so you can see that the purple monster is the Arcane one (as opposed to the normal ones and the Vampiric one). Even without GI those Arcane mobs are still quite easy to spot, just look out for the purple fx on them.

In high SR shards when things are getting tough, sure. There’s usually enough other monsters in a chunk to fill the bar so why take the risk when you can easily avoid them.

^This

Lol, we make sets cause people like sets.

Sets are actually more work to design and balance, so they are literally the opposite of what you describe. Granted, if a game makes sets the only viable endgame path, then sure they can be an “easy” route to balancing endgame.

4 Likes

The funny thing about Arcane heroes is that they are very easily shut down by CC’s, but CC’s are “crap” for endgame…

Depends on what you’re looking for. If just some mere resists and damage - they’re more reliable than legendaries. If perfect combination, etc - vice versa.

Not sure why some people got fixated on arcane heroes. For me (granted my experience is still small) the first place in single enemy cancer list goes to Grava followed by Kaisan. But the most frustraiting are not single enemies but boss combos. Couple of extra fast heavy hitters supported by a couple of spam casters is absolute shit and unfun to play against. And yeah, CC doesn’t do shit to these gangs.

Almost my point)) Arcane heroes are even more fun because geared builds melt them without noticing, like all other heroes no matter how big the heroes blob is. But when the boss is Arcane he shots player down without a notice.

Thank you very much for clarifying this issue! In GD I couldn’t really understand the intention behind them, especially when each expansion added lots of them. Its nice to hear, because in other games sets are actually lazy solution to endgame gear choice.

But only one boss is Arcane and it’s Grava’Thul and he pretty much screams that he’s using null.

Yes, in the endgame there is only one boss and I tried not to call its name in vain, but one is enough))))) but please consider my other arguments in the topic, I don’t want repeat them countless times. Shortly: Its an ability that is out of place.

I hope this will never happen.
Just dont make too powerful sets to covers weaknesses of too bad skill combination/builds/etc. Better buff those directly.
Overall, i’m fine with sets in GD, cause they dont feel mandatory.

Are they? Some of them are based upon hulking enemies, immune to certain CC effects…
Another problem is that unlike Gravathul, Arcane heroes come in packs along with other heroes/mobs and dont have so clearly visible telegraphed cast, so it’s hard to avoid or interrupt it.

I guess sets were also part of a solution for this problem, at least before we got the illusionists:

Source

1 Like

A battle without CC is like noodle-only ramen.
No matter how delicious the soup or noodles, you get bored quickly.

I came to the forum looking to make a post exactly like this. After 3 end game builds that can blow through Ultimate like nothing, I have seen repetitive issues with Crucible/SR.

On Aspirant Crucible I can get multiple Nemesis spawns and they are manageable, it seems as if their difficulty is less than they are in Ultimate game mode. If I take this same character into ELITE SR and try to do 65-66 my first boss encounter is almost always stacked. With Resistances over 80% across the board in Elite there is no way I should not be able to stand in that fight with a line of potions on. It is just unbalanced, I can do this repeatedly and maybe 2/10 I get a set of bosses in SR that are manageable. Maybe in a group this would be a non-issue, but it’s not always that easy, I should be able to run this content solo.

There is something happening with the difficulty of boss/nemesis spawns when you go from Game Content > Crucible > SR. To me and over 700 hours of GD play, they get progressively more difficult and unbalanced. If they stayed consistent through all 3 modes this might all be a different story.

As Big Z said:
Everything past 60 is hard to sometimes even unfair.

1 Like

Why would you even want to farm SR on non-ultimate difficulty? Isnt it meant to be endgame, where you go after ultimate, naturally?
And of course, Ultimate campain content is nothing compared to high levels of Crucible and SR. Those are endgame, a place, where you go after ultimate, so obviously, it will be much harder. Just like Ultimate is harder than Elite.
However, i wonder, what build had you been playing with? When i got bored with bulk of gear i’ve got, i started from scratch. When i completed Ultimate and farmed required rep, i went to Crucible, and blew Challenger completely (170 included) and Gladiator up to 150, and farmed it a bit (Gladiator 130-150). Rewards in Challenger Crucible were lame and completely not worth it. Only Gladiator yields OK rewards.
Then i went to conquer SR. I get to SR 75, and farmed 75-76 a bit, though i believe, farming 65-66 or 70-71 is safer and more profitable. In SR 75-76 enemies are too tough and hit too hard. Farming SR lower than 65 isnt worth it too.
As many already said, SR is NOT FAIR. Crucible is, to a good degree, but not SR. For example, SR 45-60 was harder than SR 65 due to one arena, where ALL bosses charge at you immediately, and if combination is bad, you can do nothing but die. Also, if you die in SR, you can try again and keep your rewards. How that could be balanced as endgame mode?

Hey Bog, 2 builds I have mostly been running here…Battlemage and Pistol Purifier. Could they both use work, probably. However part of that work is dependent on getting end game content gear, hence the problems. I DO understand endgame content is harder than the main game whatever level that is. You ask why try to farm SR on elite? Seemed like the best chance to get decent rewards and still complete…experience in Elite SR makes me not even want to try Ultimate lol.

I did not mean to suggest Ultimate is an equal comparison to Crucible/SR. But, Some Bosses/Nemesis in Ultimate almost seem to be easier than they are in Crucible, but impossible in SR.

End of the day I just want to add my voice so Dev Team or whomever hears that some of endgame is out of control.

Anything past SR60+ is anything goes. There are no plans to make it more “fair”.

1 Like

Fair is a stretchy word. Each game has its own sweetspot for the level of RNG that is suitable for the majority to enjoy the gameplay. Sometimes no RNG can make a gamemode sterile thus unfun.

For me personally SR tips over the other side of the spectrum. The level of RNG in boss rooms makes it completely unfun to play. Unfair can be justified when it results in a mild punishment. But in SR even a 5shard run can take a conciderable time and when the final boss room can RNG so hard it invalidates all the progress altogether, all the time invested, it turns into an unfun level of unfair. It compromises the whole gamemode.