Leveling new heroes is now a slog

Well, first of all, i don’t get you, because in one statement you argue that you want to “Level fast”, than people counter argument in a solid way and than magically it isn’t about leveling anymore but about the “Journey” (and i’d argue exact for people which play for the “Journey” enjoy Veteran now more due it’s not a thin paper borefest).

Secondly, and that argument really bothers me or better say piss me off(due i read few times about it), the 10% exp boost was introduced with 1.1.4.0 which means it’s a “trade-off” for Veteran getting harder, so you don’t fall that behind with leveling compared to Normal. It was never meant or hinted that with 10% it enocurage faster leveling, but rather to balance the exp-curve out due veteran have more and now even harder enemies. So if we (and crate) would take your “Feedback” about the Difficulty itself in consideration, i’d argue crate would and from my Opinion also “should” cut the 10% again if they re-adjust the difficulty in the old fashion, but you shouldn’t get 10% exp boost for nothing…

Last but not least; and that comes rather from an average player than an good / pro player, it really does irritate me when people say the Game on Vet 've now getting to hard and enemies are to spongy. I tried some new characters and new builds / skills and the Enemies and Bosses still die on an fair amount of time. It’s not in any sense unreasonable enough, they simply don’t almost insta-die anymore… which is (arguable) a good thing, atleast for me. Also i 've to disagree with statement that an “bigger HP Pool” doesn’t influence the difficulty but only that they as spongy and stretch unneccessary the fights… due it’s part of the endurance fight and the longer a fight takes, the more errors you as player can make and the more dangerous the fight overall can be. If you kill thin paper enemies and bosses within seconds, the less damage he can make to you.

Finally if you want to level faster with new toons, twinks and alts… than there are quite “tools”, “tricks” and “stuff” which you can do for help yourself. Yesterday with one of my toons i found a way which helps you to get faster to level 10 at the beginning, after you used skip tokens, go fg town and read the lorebooks, gives you the first 4-5 level… it’s not only a faster entrance but also might help for people who struggle a bit more with the early part of the game(though i’d say maybe this is something which crate might look into it due free levels for lorebooks… than again the first few levels isn’t that impactfull either way and later the exp output is rather small anyway)

3 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

Just, like, play normal, man.

“But i want to level faster and need the 10% exp Boosts… also it’s not about leveling but the Journey…” :expressionless:

If you want speed, level in normal. I always strive to just go ASAP in elite. So it makes no sense to try veteran.

3 Likes

Idk what’s up with people lvling in crucible, you can get to lvl 50 in main campaign in just a little over an hour aswell and you at least farm faction reputation at the same time.

I said this in another thread before: Veteran is NOT for speedlvling, it’s for new players that want to have a challenge from the start and that want to have a smoother learning curve from normal to elite. The 10% bonus xp in veteran is not worth the additional time investment and is merely a nice bonus for those new players that like early challenge.

If you want to speedlvl you take some (10-30) devotions on normal and then you lvl in elite up to lvl 70 and in ultimate after that. You can still lvl 1-94 in 5-7hours using that method.

6 Likes

Though i’ve to an certain dagree disagree with you, because it’s not only for newcomers, but also veterans which still play the first playthroughs and don’t want to have an borefest because Veteran doesn’t live up it’s name.

1 Like

How many factions are unlocked in “just little over an hour”? DC and Rovers?

Pretty much yea. This allows you to be revered with DC after act 1 ultimate, which for me personally was the most important faction to get revered with while lvling.

My main point was just that you don’t have to lvl in crucible. MC lvling is just as fast.

not sure the best solution to that wall is having the player hit it right from the start…

Haven’t had much time to play 1.1.4 yet, but from the few minutes I tried with a level 8 char, things were definitely taking more hits to die

That is true, it might needs some more tweaking

I am assuming some (XP) potion chugging as well as access to gear from the stash is involved here? Because, I normally play self-found and it takes an hour (sometimes two) just to complete Act 1 and I end up with a level 18-20 character.

This is after I stopped clearing every part of the map. That used to take six hours.

Well yes, this includes the big three xp steroids in the game (xp potion, Lokarr set, act7 ultimate merits). Two of these are easy to get, the third one requires you to be able to farm Lokarr, which is certainly doable on your first char, if you are playing a DK or a vit caster (or pet build or some other good starter builds).

SSF I made e.g. act 1-4 lvls 1-40 in 5h on veteran. Overall SSF probably takes like ~6-7 times as long for lvl1-94 as effective speedlvling.

depends on the build and the amount of accumulated gear. Lokarr is no pushover for budget/beginner players

1 Like

Agree, depends on the gear/build/class/piloting skills. I just pointed out the starter builds/classes that have generally the easiest time farming him afaik.

Only two of my characters have ever unlocked Ultimate (both around level 78-80) and only one of them reached Revered status with the Resistance in Malmouth. But both took a lot of time to get there. The Warder took about 80 hours, and the Warlord took about 45.

I was able to optimize the way I played the game for the Warlord by skipping some areas/quests and not clearing the entire map. Otherwise, it would have taken much longer.

So, yes, self-found takes a lot of time. But deciding which gear to save for another character and then using that in the new character seems to be a different kind of chore. This is generally the case with greens and some blues. I stash every purple that is dropped.

Lol i think the originator gave up on even participating in their own post. Is this discussion even still active?

All I ever played was Veteran, normal was too easy. If you play vet, youll BECOME a vet. You gotta look at it that way. You will learn how to make everything about your characters better. I would say thats a valuable part of the journey. Most fights will not take forever if youre attentive to your build.

Where “some mobs take forever” is a chief complaint, you simply can’t argue that “it’s not about the time”, especially when you are ALSO citing that you want to enjoy the journey, as so many others here have already mentioned.

This is a great game and im sad you arent enjoying Veteran. My hope is that you can approach that difficulty level with a different perspective that is appropriate given the nature of the difficulty level and what its meant to do- which is challenge you.

3 Likes

@RektbyProtoss Death Knight? uhh you mean WARLORD :wink: Death Knight is soo 2018

I think if tedium (random mid-campaign bosses like Ikrix are not threatening enough, but are too spongy) is the chief point, then the solution is to shake things up with even more boss&mob damage (starts up higher, tapers off and returns to it’s old value by 70-80).

Another thing to note, is that bosses that drop MIs ofteh equip said MIs. Ikrix’s scale could very well roll with let’s say, Negating of Scorched Runes and bam, 57% extra lightning resist on that particular enemy. Quite a step up from 0%, nearly three times the killtime on 0% resist.

Or let’s get particularly cruel, Preserving(33%) Of the Arcane blaze.(8%) on the base 35% of Ikrix gives you a 76% vit res who will take even longer to dismantle.

i guess the solution for facing spongy bosses that have low offense/easy to avoid attacks is to have backup gears that provides big increase in dps yet sacrifice your defenses. at least for the leveling portion of the game.

also, this is another problem to your leveling slog that is caused by you playing DEFENSIVE WITCHBLADE. in my experience the chaos gears you get for normal/veteran/elite are underwhelming. its a torture finding good chaos gears and chaos rr in those difficulties when you want them for leveling. you would progress faster if you switch to pure physical witchblade for those difficulties. end game chaos witchblade or defensive witchblade might be viable though.

2 Likes