Leveling new heroes is now a slog

I dont feel any sympathy here. In my opinion, if bosses like this actually have their resistances affected by MIs they may drop (have equipped?), it only makes the play through (journey) MORE interesting to me. This way, you never really know exactly how tough a certain enemy is going to be to take down.

Go back to town, and try a different assembly of gear.

This is coming from a player who has spent 90% of gametime playing through the game over and over again (and no less now, if anything, even more now), because I personally love the journey and all the challenges it brings.

So you have to switch some gear around big deal. Oh no you might have to go grind a level or 2 in an area where enemies deal damage in a type youre more resistant to. Big. Deal.

Its an ARPG.

Its not Diablo 3.

5 Likes

Best thing I have read today

4 Likes

Veteran can be run from the start if you choose it in the character menu.

1 Like

I concur. If a simple boss fight takes you 10 - 15 minutes, you know that there is something wrong. I do not complain about balancing overall. But some bosses got way too much health now. Normal and elite got more difficult, which is ok. But on some bosses (not all) they got it wrong.

Feel free to say which bosses, so the devs can look into it and correct it if they feel it’s necessary. The more detailled the feedback the better :wink:

2 Likes

For me there are 2 things:

1. Veteran is for people that are experience enough to know how to play efficient the game. For me veteran feels hard at the start, and later not much different as normal. The start is slow. Ok that`s true.
    But its for VETERANS its a hard difficulty. Remember diablo1? Where the butcher killed you at the start? This is veteran difficulty.
  2. I think, people who now whine about the speed are… hm… bad. Sorry. Bad players. Or want to play like they want to play, and dont want to adapt.

Here are some example after the patch. With playtime. With exp Potion. (everyone should had xp potion cause why? if you are total NEW you dont get it. But if you old enough to know how veteran feels after the patch, so you already spend some time in the game, you should get the exp potion easy after elite with your first char and its done)
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZP7xGPV level 56, 3:42h playtime, aom finished on the way to akt7
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2dYLx8V level 21, 1:10h playtime. veteran normal on the way to kill cronley
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNn4LDyV level 64 6:30h playtime, elite akt 2
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RVvJa8XV level92 11:50h playtime. ultimate akt3

so the level time for me dont changed much. The feeling yes. Bosses have more hp and if they hit you they hit much harder as before. But that is ok. If you build your hero correct you still delete everything, bosses too.

edit: why i post this? I got angry. If people write that bosses take 10 or 15 minutes. Its a) a lie or b) they play horrible charackters.
The hardest boss in the game now is akt 1 warden krieg cause your hero is low level. He can stun you and kill you with 2hits. And it takes “longer” to kill him. The rest? Never ever 10minutes to kill a boss. Look at the chars i posted. Some boss enemies dont take a 1 minute to kill.
edit 2: Yeah. post the details. post the boss and whats the problem BUT post your hero too and find out whats wrong :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is why I hated Borderlands 2, some enemies (same lvl as the player) ate half a million shots just because they were Elite or similar bosses. This took away the fun from progressing in the game, and I ended playing it. I know challenge might be good, but slapping the same enemy for 5 or 10 minutes gets dull.

that bl2 problem is mainly caused by EXTREME exponential scaling on almost every stats number in that game. bl1 have pretty linear scaling, so enemies aren’t that spongy and legendary/unique guns with dozen lvls lower than enemy lvls can still help a lot. bl tps tries the middle road between linear and exponential scaling, but they put extra health and damage bonus to enemies specifically in ultimate mode only.
i think gd is quite similar with borderlands the pre-sequel in its number scaling. but gd puts great bonuses of health/damage to bosses that sometimes makes gd bosses almost as spongy as bl2 bosses. gd’s superbosses health bar can be compared to bl2 ultimate raid bosses’ health bar.

still, if your gd build has powerful dps, spongy bosses will only take a minute or few more to defeat.

Leveling new heroes in never slow, unless you’re new player and don’t know what you’re doing. I personally managed to improve my level up times with each character and also reduce and even completely eradicated deaths.

So you should improve with the time. You learn bosses patterns, map, what’s working, which stats/resistances matter, etc.

The BL2 reference really shouldn’t apply because BL2 adds different weapon types and skills that allow you to drastically kill bosses faster or slower.

There is no boss in BL2 that can’t be killed in under a minute if you have the right guns/skills set up on your character.

GD doesn’t really have certain skills like Bore or Phase Lock or Bloodsplosion, every class has something, that changes everything about certain boss fights. GD has mobs that are simply meat tanks and take awhile.

1 Like

I enjoy leveling and full clearing everything just as much as hitting 94 and equipping the good stuff. I found I’m sinking more time in GD than before because of the difficulty bump. Lower difficulties feel more demanding of my attention instead of just putting me to sleep, but to each their own.

I find normal vet harder than all of elite and the first half of ultimate. It’s a nice change =)

1 Like

For all the sycophants and armchair designers in here…the health on certain monsters was overtuned. The game plays much more smoothly now with the update.

Thanks Crate

The health and resistances were overtuned. Crate noticed, as people who design good games tend to do, and fixed it in the new update. As far as “not being good” I have 3 original self-found builds farming SR75 ult. For people who love Grim Dawn, I find, most become sycophants. Most, also, aren’t very good at game design.

Personaly I have found that the challenge is way up early levels,mobs are not just sponges,the elites including the hidden ones in act 1 are now really deadly,that one guy with spikes in the hidden early zone can almost 1 shot you on veteran if you dont have some mastery points