Lightning Aegis of Menhir Kinda Sucks

So, I looked at Myth. Skybreaker shield and figured I could get somewhere with it. Cue trying out the myth version of the Light’s Defender set for Storm Totems to support it and then used MI rings etc to push up the skill+ points for Aegis of Menhir skill nodes and lo, it’s better to put points on other skills than AoM:

Best results so far have been with the follow build which is a bit surprising:

And the version that uses Savagery to buff AoM’s damage, but that’s clunkier to use, though has slightly better sustain due to the medal.

Main issue with the Light’s Defender is a lack of bloody physical resist, which frankly is needed somewhere on that set. Which makes boss rooms in SR75-76 often painful and frustrating compared to the version not using a set. While the lack of more cooldown support on the shield doesn’t help either in keeping totems up…

And of course when I was using Myth. Serenir’s Commendation medal it was a small but significant difference

Anyhow, frankly, Lightning AoM badly needs some extra support, because right now it’s pretty lacklustre as a high cost damage skill compared to fire, chaos or acid versions and a pain to gear for. Never mind the spam AoM versions, which are in another class of their own.

So yeah, I think I’m going to bin the Light’s Defender version because it just sucks and work on other 2 versions and see if I can’t get somewhere without resorting to the spamulet.

“lightning” aegis literally top20 build btw
it’s just done with the spam conduit and rata Archon, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

CD aegis has in general been kinda “hard” to be built around or on the weaker side depending on dmg type, so going raw lightning, non dot or not retal i wouldn’t be surprised it’s leaps behind fire phys acid or retal spam or cd versions.

True, but what’s surprising is how much a of difference changing the medal and amulet prefix (Tempest from Oathkeepers) made. Even took points out of Storm Totem to boost Tempest and and Accession and lo the bloody thing now manages SR okay:

Guess it was hurting for elemental resists and the shield block chance helped hugely too.

Probably going to keep developing it from now on, since it’s good enough at present lawl. Also helped I finally found you could treat Chain Lightning like a channelled skill and just hold the button down and still be able to cast other spells. But yeah, guess I need to try out a more retaliation focused devotion path as well to see if it can work out okay for a non-spam AoM build. Since any fire or physical retal damage will be converted into lightning by the shield and pistol.

Muwahahahahaha!

Fixed it: Archon, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Did SR75-80 with my brain semi-stuffed (lethologica is back, worbs hards…) and only died once when I forget to run away from the Mad Queen when my circuit breakers weren’t available, but managed to kill the bastard the next attempt within the timer :3 And got to SR80 despite running into Grava lots lawl, who needs to have it’s lightning resistance nerfed hards.

[edit] - Also, it seems to joke in the face of being Sundered lawl, which I was not expecting at all.

1 Like