Lightweight Mod for Speeding Up the Leveling Process

You are playing the Faster Leveling (L) Diablo 3 version? I tried it myself, and everything seems to be working just fine - spheres drop, get picked up, and can get destroyed.

It can sometimes (but very rarely, so rarely that I actually did not encounter it in like a year or so) happen that it either still shows the sphere besides being already picked up, or that you have to hold ALT (to show all loot) and then to click it to pick it up - spheres are affected by your loot filter, as well as the Auto Loot option, in case you have this disabled.

1 Like

i see i will try hold alt to pick up im playing on ‘Faster Leveling (L) Diablo 3’

Edit : Thank you soo Much ‘Holding ALT’ work :blush: :pray:

is there i way of not get random skill/atribute points in the (non) lightweight version?

You only drop these potions very very rarely, so you can simply not use them?

1 Like

:grin: yeah sorry, it was a dumb question lol

Today I learned of a method for “hard modding” Grim Dawn without actually doing so. This is a lot simpler than my method, so I wanted to share it here too.

Doing this allows one to play this (or any, actually) mod with main campaign characters, avoiding having to start over or porting them over.

1. Download the mod, extract it, and choose the version you want to play.

2. Go to the database folder and rename the *.arz file to database.arz.

3. Go to the resources folder and rename the Maps.arc file to Levels.arc.

4. Copy the .arz file from the database folder, as well as all .arc files from the resources folder, over to the “Grim Dawn/mods” folder. It should look like this (not shown are the eventual expansion and survival folders):

1. a) If on Steam, right-click Grim Dawn inside your Library > Properties > Add /basemods to Launch Options
    b) If you are using Grim Internals, right-click GrimInternals64 > Create shortcut > right-click GrimInternals64 - Shortcut > Properties > Add /basemods to the end of Target (behind the ")
    c) If you are using the GOG version, do the same as above but with the Grim Dawn.exe

To play Crucible with this mod, you also have to download the .arz below, and copy & overwrite to “Grim Dawn/survivalmode2/database”. Then you have to copy the Scripts.arc from “Grim Dawn/mods” to “Grim Dawn/survivalmode2/resources”. This only changes one record, there is no reason to ever undo this.

Download .arz

4 Likes

thank you! sorry I dropped off after that back and forth. really appreciate it.

as an aside: does this mod stop working with DoM after it updates? Or should it still work? I noticed DOM was updated on the 17th of july.

There should not be any issues, everything should be working fine.

Fun fact: Dawn of Masteries currently has 52 540 records / files (not including resources, such as textures). Lightweight Mod (Compatibility version) has about 15 000 either new or modified records, although many are simply duplicated with small changes, and some are redundant, since I’m lazy.

There are only 3 conflicts (7 records overall), which makes both mods very easy to merge, although the actual merging process is a bit more tricky.

This might be a bad question at this point but… is there a way to take a character created and leveled with this mod into the ‘main’ campaign.

Obviously I could keep playing in the ‘mod’ since it’s basically the same as the main campaign, but my character leveled doesn’t have access to the crucible (that I can figure out) and also the import functions don’t work on grimtools so I can’t use checklists.

Thanks!

Yes. In short, do this:

Consider backing up your character. Install GDStash, select your Custom Game character, and remove the In Mod flag under Character Data. Afterwards move your character from the user folder inside your save game location to the main folder. At last, rename the .map folder, however it is called, inside your characters folder to levels_world001.map.

Take everything you want from your stash before doing all that. You can also do the method three comments above to be able to play crucible with this mod enabled (although I did not test this personally).

1 Like

I have encountered a bug with Monster Infrequents starting at character level 111 or so and continuing permanently through remainder of the game. Monster Infrequents are dropping without suffixes. Often they are naked base models and mostly have a prefix or suffice only. Very rarely have I seen both prefix and suffix. Prior to level 111, there are no problems. Confirmed on two different characters. I ran the second through the mod from scratch to be certain the problem had nothing to do with being a linked save from the base game.

I played around a bit, and this issue seems to only affect items dropped directly from enemies, also all rarities are affected.

The MI loot spheres for example work perfectly fine, which is why I did not catch the issue earlier:

I tried a few things, but could not figure out how to fix it yet - for chests and spheres, I can set a max level of 100 that makes it work, for enemies I can’t. I guess that I would need to up some affix max level values, but they already seem high enough. Don’t know much about affixes and loot generation, so this gotta take me a while.

For now you could enable the Recycle feature and play with that a bit, since you commonly drop the MI loot spheres with it.

Faster Leveling (N) Patch for Affixes.zip (1.5 MB)

1. Copy the templates folder over to "Grim Dawn/database"
  2. (2a) Copy Faster Leveling (N) and __skip over to "Grim Dawn/mods" / (2b) If Diablo 3: Rename Faster Leveling (N) to Faster Leveling (N) Diablo 3 and then copy the content from the other folder over, overwrite everything, then do (2a)
  3. a) Open the Assset Manager (found inside the Grim Dawn folder)
    b) Select __skip and press F7
    c) Select Faster Leveling (N) and press F7, it should then be updating some files

For the /basemods method, before doing 3., simply copy the database.arz over to "Faster Leveling (N)/database" and rename it to Faster Leveling (N), then follow the other points. Afterwards rename and copy it back.

You could also patch Dawn of Masteries this way, but I did not test this. Don’t use the Diablo 3 files when doing so.

Fixes the Tome of Knowledge too. It might be a while until I re-upload everything properly, this is very time consuming for me due to all the versions.

2 Likes

I salute your diligence. I will test and post results. Thank you!

1 Like

Here are my follow up observations, as promised. I installed using the described method and continued with my leveling character and finished the process to 125 and then messed around with some new builds.

Firstly, well done.

The drops are much improved with rare affixes and suffixes dropping properly. Monster Infrequents are not quite fixed, however. I noticed that some still drop with a single affix from time to time. AND, they happened on leveling characters at well below 110 - which was the threshold where the initial problem caught my eye.
20220905013440_2 20220902083840_1

That’s when I realized I had not gotten a double rare with MI base in the roughly eight days of play time on this mod! Based on the frequency these show up, I think that the mod is somehow not rolling double rares properly and an MI with a single, plain, magic affix drops instead.

Now, I am not certain that the orbs cannot drop a double rare MI but, in the twelve that dropped in the 50+ hours on this character, none were double rare. But none had the single, strange affix either. At any rate, I don’t find that these 12 orbs spread across 125 levels and 50 hours is really a meaningful drop rate as opposed to farming them. I mention it as a possible bug because you mentioned that monsters will “… commonly drop the MI loot spheres…”

Thank you again for this kick ass mod. It has the best quality of life improvements by far. And I hope these observations are useful to your development as opposed to unwelcome criticism.

They are normally a very rare drop, but if you enable the Recycle mechanic with the hammer, which converts all drops, then the sphere drops every 1 to 5 minutes or so, depending on where you farm.

So I mass popped some spheres with a level 175 character. A MI sphere drops on average 5 MIs. It took me about 40 spheres on average until a double rare appeared, so there is a chance of ~0.5% for one to drop (or one per 200 drops).

I tried this with the patch applied, and afterwards a few times without the patch and a level 100 character, the result was the same.

Excluding the patch, I have not changed any drop chances or such stuff. Could it be that you simply got very unlucky? I have no clue, personally.

Not sure about MIs missing one affix. Seems like only prefixes are affected? The MI spheres don’t have this issue, so I might have to increase some more maxLevel values of some prefix tables to fix this — so far I only upped any 100+ values, so I’m gonna start with 90+ now.

Awesome work on this mod! I’ve had a ton of fun playing both the lightweight and non-lightweight versions.

I noticed above that someone had commented on the recycle hammer occasionally disappearing. I’ve had that happen about 1 in every 5 sessions over the past two weeks. It seems to happen to me more frequently on new characters, but that could just be coincidence. I’ve also had the Stone of Doggo disappear, though less frequently. I’m not speeding up the game or editing any in-game timers. It’s a relatively minor thing for me (I just start a new session), but I just wanted to add another data point.

By the way, how much effort would be involved in adding affixes to unique crafted items? I love how the unique affixes mod makes finding new loot interesting, but it’d be great if I could have a chance to craft equally powerful (and nonsensical) stuff!

I have to play around a bit and see why that happens. I also want to add the dog to the hideout, so that one does not have to restart the session for blessings and such stuff.

Affixes for crafted items is possible, though quite some work. Instead of crafting the item directly, I would have to put it into a dynamic loottable, which would remove the items preview. Maybe some alternative blueprint that randomly crafts one of the craftable items with affixes.

Thanks for the response! I had a feeling adding affixes to crafted uniques might be a bit complicated, but I’m very now to the modding tools so it’s good to get confirmation on that.