Loading just to get to Main Menu?

WHY does it LOAD just to get to the main menu (not settings)… and it takes a LONG TIME to load…
I have never seen any other game have such a long loading time just to get to the main menu. Why?

I can understand loading times for loading into the map, the town… but LOADING to get to the main menu is… wrong…

I hope they fix this as when you are trying again, and again, and again to find the right seed… loading to the main menu doubles the frustration.
:crazy_face:

There… I have said what others havent.

I have been sitting for 8 minutes now, just waiting to load to the main menu…

It is super fast for me.

Maybe I need to Verify the game?

If it’s taking 8 minutes, then sure… somethings not right.

1 Like

Unless you are switching the map types (arid to alpine or lowland…) or picking a new name for your town everytime, you don’t need to go to the main menu. Just reroll the map for a new seed on the same settings.

2 Likes

i have a great pc and it’s really slow to load, only to the main menu…

That doesn’t work when you are manually editing your map seed each time to optimize the settings you are looking for and thus yes, the game takes unreasonably long if you have to go to the Main Menu each time to do so.

As the game is very CPU dependent, it’s even worse if you are running a weaker or older system.

2 Likes

My computer is reasonable. I dont have the settings on high and I have no problems running the game… it doesnt lag much at all even with 400+ in my cities.

Loading to the main menu, or loading times shouldn’t be an issue.

My Computer.

• Processor: Intel Core i5 6500
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super
  • Storage: 2 terabyte available space

Not a super computer, but it’s OK and more than enough for this game.
I dont know what is going on.
:open_mouth:

I have horrid main menu loading times, too. i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, and a lousy graphics card but I don’t think that should make a difference?

Yeah… especially seeing that both our computers are above recommended spec.

The game probably needs to be optimized on their end as doing a ‘verification of game files’ doesn’t work… still the same problematic loading times.

i7 is not the same as i7, the generation and exact specs make a lot of difference as there are 13 different generations of i7s so far and there are quite a lot of performance differences there.

The Graphics Card probably shouldn’t matter too much for the main menu, but that depends on the game optimization.

I would suggest monitoring RAM usage in the background during these excessively long load periods. It’s possible you are being affected by a memory leak issue that might have a hand in this. Maybe my posts here will help some…

More Performance Controls - #2 by powbam

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X OC’d 3.7-41GHz 8 Cores 16 Logical

XFX Radeon RX 580 4GB DDR5

16GB’s DDR4-3200 (2 x 8GB’s @1600 MHz ea.)

I just timed loading a save (1 min 42 sec) then timed exiting to menu (31 sec).

2 Likes

My main menu loads in 30 seconds. and my computer is meant for word processing not gaming.

Edit: Boot to main menu: 28 seconds

2:30 to game load

i5 10th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

12GB RAM

I can time a load, but it’s probably not much over yours. It probably just feels like forever, compared to many other games. I would liken it to the loading times for Better Minecraft mod, which loads so many modpacks and so much data that it takes time just to get going. I assume it’s the graphics and whatnot for this game that are giving my PC a hard time.

My specs. I don’t think there’s a dedicated graphics card. image
This PC is about 4-5 years old.

Edit: 8th gen i7

Boot to main menu ~ 20 seconds
Main menu to game ~ 3 minutes
Game to main menu ~ 1 minute

1 Like

To quote my mom (which I don’t do a lot) “We live in a microwave society.” ~ mom

2 Likes

I feel it’s wrong too. Why it should load to main menu and/or exit. Somehow you have to confirm too. Ofc you choose to exit.

I understand if you’re loading the game or reroll but exiting should be much quicker. I exit in less than a minute or quit to main menu but I’m really surprised the game does these. There might be a reason why the devs do it this way and I’m still ok with it.

In the [Farthest Frontier v0.7.5 notes there was this little snippet of information… (Scroll down to the ‘tech’ section of the notes).

I believe that there are still some memory leaks in the game that causes this issue of ‘loading’ times to the main menu, etc.
They are trying to fix it, I wish it was fixed now but I suppose I have to be patient.
:open_mouth:

Yeah, there most likely is, but it became better since that fix with less memory usage during those steps as well.

1 Like