Looking for advice on dual wielding Oppressor leveling

This is my first post here, so “Hello”! :slight_smile: I’ve been playing GD on and off for a few years, so I’m no expert. I’ve also been spoiled using guides and such, but lately I’ve started using my own builds. The latest one has a few issues that I’m not sure how to fix. So, here’s “Desecrate Moregraves” the Lv 30 Oppressor on Grimtools:

Lv 30 Oppressor

My problems:

• The poor guy feels like he’s lacking “oomph”. Perhaps it’s the lack of AoE?
  • The tooltips confuse me, it doesn’t list any vitality damage, most seems to be acid/poison (from the transmute thingy?). I was aiming for melee vitality and dual wield with some lifesteal so that I could make the build “dumb” and just facetank. Which I can, don’t get me wrong, I’ve facetanked most bosses without too much of a hassle. Do I need any specific items to convert more damage? Any devotions I’ve missed?
  • Speaking of devotions, Bat is probably a bad idea? I just saw “Vitality” and went for it but then I noticed it had Pierce. Any suggestions are welcome. I’m aiming for Rattosh, Veilwarden, Dying God and Wendigo.
  • OA is very important? More so with dual wield? I seem to miss quite a few attacks.

As a final note, I know this isn’t a super optimized, SR 9000 in under 2 seconds kind of build. I also play using a controller to save my poor arms and neck, so I can’t have a too piano-y build. I just hope someone has some good advice to make this one a bit better. :slight_smile:
Thank you for reading.

*Edit: this is my first draft for the final character: Lv 100 draft . I may want to put Empyrion in there as well, I guess I’ll see later.

1 Like

Ye, we can only dream of such build.

Anywho, I can’t tell much but I can suggest going for ‘Scales of Ultama’ devotion if u want less buttons to press since it needs only aura. You definitely want Celestial Presence from Empyrion Guards which u unlock at lvl 50 mastery in oathkeeper.

I wouldn’t personally max everything since not only it’s impossible but like seeing u max Reaping Strike, Smite or Necrotic Edge… sometimes 1 point is enough thanks to other items which boost skill levels.

I also don’t know what will happen in next patch with physical damage but I think u still need to aim with “some” phys resist so it doesn’t sit below single digit or armor absorb - which needs to be at 100% for tanks.

Bat is a good devotion, as well as Giant for health regen but if u can afford scales it’s a good alternative which doesn’t force u to use revenant or manticore or judicators seals rings etc.

OA is indeed important, even in retal builds… it’s not in pet builds tho (at least normally).

After u pick Guardians, don’t forget to convert them to dreeg version since u aim for vitality. Also I suggest, for 3rd tier devos, pick rattosh, dying god, korvaak, hourglass or even 3 nodes in bulwark for that sweet armor and DA (but that shouldn’t be focus, it’s a niche I discovered).

Tooltips sometimes confuse me too but honestly what I do recommend is apply changes to your own version of grimtools and try realize them and (if they aren’t good enough) change afterwards cuz we know, that only thing we can’t change is classes. :smiley:

gonna try cut to the chase (so sry if it comes off blunt/rough)
low level items, = not upgrading frequent enough
lack of MIs (Monster Infrequents, specific rares dropped by specific enemies, comes with guaranteed base stats, like your Tail weap and amulet)
using sub par components (emeralds)
rest looks fine, you don’t need to max wps tho (smite/reaping strike, just get them to around 20%/5-6pts to start with)

lack of AoE; but also going for auto attack+wps is gonna feel a bit weaker early game. When you get higher level/more developed it will feel fine
Alternatively you can add in boneharvest “early” and will get some cooldown “oomph” (also happens to be some specialized support items for that skill if you turn out to enjoy it)

yes, and tool tip wont list your wps or procs etc, just the skill itself
unless you get specific items you’re gonna have to deal with the acid dmg for now

doesn’t matter, don’t think of things like “it must purely deal my dmg type or must only deal 1 dmg type”, if you’re a vit build it’s generally handy, dmg, lifesteal, often fits on overall vit devo paths

no more/less important than most other builds. Unless you get a decent OA setup going you’ll often be looking at like 90-95% hit chance during levelling: this can easily be rectified with heavier OA focus like in devos, buffs, and components, don’t sweat it, it will come and even without you will do fine
*I generally dont’ farm for OA specific items during levelling but usually end up with great OA just trying to get mine in buffs, devos and comps
ex of some OA oriented changes Oppressor, Level 30 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator almost 200 more with little effort

It didn’t come off as blunt or rough at all. :slight_smile: It’s hard for me to get a “feel” for a build, and that’s why I thought I’d ask some of you more experienced players. Thank you for all the solid advice, I will check the link too, much appreciated!
*Edit: my brain can’t seem to find the quote-button lol

There are so many devotions to choose from, so I appreciate the advice. I’ll definately check it out later. Thanks!

my own rule of thumb is to upgrade armours “constantly” up around to level 35 (switching to faction gears as baseline then)
i noticed you had several very low level items, 10, 15 etc, which for me would not only be low in general “must upgrade armours every 20th level at the latest”, but then extra low combined with the “upgrade frequently at low level”
you just increase base stats slightly frequent, even if the amounts doesnt’ actually increase much, but then you overall end up with way comfier stats, which can then allow for also more dmg focus because your other stats are sorted
pair that with maxing “the right skills” (which you already did in part) and it will begin to flow smoothly eventually no matter the build
usually, for me/my experience gauging play AA+wps builds tend to come “online” around lvl 40-45 when you have maxed the AA out, gotten multiple wps and some flat dmg boosters/RR/“higher master tier unlocks”
in your case a solid booster will eventually be Soul Harvest, while bone harvest even if just 1pointed will still add a bit of reach/“range” aoe

just highlight the text and it will appear automatically

I’m in game now, and you’re absolutely right. I think I may obsess over finding the “perfect” stats (right type of damage, resists and such) on drops instead of focusing on upgrading every few levels. I appreciate the input. :slight_smile:
It can be a bit hard to know when to upgrade your gear, sometimes I don’t want to loose a sweet bonus or resistance.
I’m going to take both of your advice and move some points around too. Thanks!

during levelling, and specially early game armour rating itself is also a good stat/valuable upgrade consideration, and early levels armour types increase rapidly (hence the frequent upgrades too)
so as long as your resists doesnt’ get decimated, or you lose vital stats to equip an item (physique/cunning/spirit on ex and armour slot enabling you to wear other armours or weapons), then gaining an amount of armour for otherwise status quo or slight drop in other stat can be totally fine/still a potential upgrade
Dragon did this

i personally rank health a bit higher but in general i think his suggestions are rock solid, also has some good “on avg” component suggestions

if you then still feel like cheesing the game a bit you can look up MIs for your build and target some specific items to give you certain and direct boosts, or just minimum guaranteed base stats ofc

There was some really solid advice in that guide, thanks. I especially like the part about “the nr. 1 noob-trap of not upgrading gear because of resistances and such”. :smile:
I’m totally not guilty of that. No sir. Not at all.

The game has such depth, so many moving parts. :face_with_spiral_eyes: But that’s a good thing, it will just take some time to learn.

enjoy the ride
and remember
death is only the beginning :damage_aether:

1 Like