I want to try out a caster build in Grim Dawn, but I keep making a mess of things. The trouble is that I want to start with the Arcanist. There is not an issue because he is bad, but because he is too good: almost everything I could ever want for a caster is present on this single Mastery! Here is how I am going about it:
I like Panetti’s Replicating Missile, Trozan’s Sky Shard and Devastation. PRM and Devastation have the best synergy, with aether/fire damage, PRM to clear trash mobs from the screen and the long-cooldown Devastation to provide burst damage to bosses. Distortion, Supercharged and Proliferation all make PRM better. Since aether/fire is the primary damage component, Reckless Power seems a no-brainer.
Inner Focus, Arcane Will and Mental Alacrity are all no-brainers for a caster, while Fabric of Reality provides a rare aether damage buff. Maiven’s Sphere of Protection and Conversion is a no-brainer for defense, while Mirror of Ereoctes and Nullification provide useful panic buttons. Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange is not great for this build, but one point for the energy regen could not hurt. Olexra’s Flash Freeze is also a useful panic button (Freeze) and it reduces fire resistance!
OK, second Mastery. Hmm, I have a couple of points left, I guess.
- Demolitionist could boost fire damage and provide crowd control, but probably not what I need.
- Nightblade has a heal (Pneumatic Burst), but probably not great synergy to this build.
- Occultist provides a resistance debuff (Curse of Frailty+Vulnerability), a heal (Blood of Dreeg) and a heal/elemental damage buff (Summon Familiar+Mend Flesh+Storm Spirit), though the latter is probably over-kill.
- Shaman can boost survivability a bit (Mogdrogen’s Pact+Heart of the Wild+Oak Skin), but probably does not have great synergy with this build.
- Soldier can boost survivability through more health (Military Conditioning) general combat buff (Field Command) and another panic button (War Cry+Terrify), but perhaps poor synergy with Devastation (ie no shield).
Hmm… Occultist may be the only half-decent fit. Devotions? I could add more Elemental/Fire Damage (eg Magi, Rhowan’s Crown), more Cast Speed (Spider, Oklane’s Lantern), more health/resistances (plenty of options!), find something nasty I can proc like crazy with PRM (eg Magi) and something even nastier I can enhance Devastation with (eg Ulzuin’s Torch).
As you can see, I am all over the place. I could use some help refining this basic idea into a viable build. Almost nothing I picked HAS to be used, but I do want to build around PRM, TSS and/or Devastation, as those are the three spells I like the most.