Lost ~200 hours of progression

Only tool that I’ve used is GrimInternals. And I don’t rember that I remove cloud save…But…I start to use UPnP (because I couldn’t to connect to private game to make a trade) - and seems like progress stops here.

OK I owe you a penny then but in that case. I can’t see how UPnP would affect cloud saves at all but if you used some janky external tool to do that I can see it breaking something and then it’s hardly Crate or Valve’s fault for your lost saves.

Tukkek is right. It’s right up front on the Grim internals thread - you have to turn off cloud save to use GrimInternals so that’s why you had no backups to recover with.

If you use Grim Internals, then you may have switched cloud saving off for that so you had local saves. Then when you went to trade switched cloud saving back on to trade, any backups on the cloud may have overwritten your local saves.

1 Like

Another story about why one should not do cloud save

1 Like

Is there a way to secure those files in another harddrive or smth? I use cloudsave because my computer is old and can create problems, when a urgent need of resetin windows, cloudsave can save my files although I wouldn’t want to cloudsave overwrite things too things can happen you know. So how do I copy the files without risking database errors? (let’s say I can copy to another harddrive once in a week)(I don’t and won’t use any-not a single one- external programs for games particularly in GD so no program will automaticly turn off my cloudsave)

It’s easy (assuming you are using local saves and not Steam cloud saves)…

…you just navigate to the My Games folder that contains your local saves and right click on the entire Grim Dawn folder and copy it and then paste it wherever you need to put it. Or you can even drag and drop the folder into whatever cloud service you are using such as Dropbox, Google Drive etc.

Then on any different or new computer you have installed GD on you simply navigate to the My Games folder on that system and place it there after downloading it from said cloud services. If the installation of the computer is brand new and you haven’t started the game up even once yet the My Games folder in Documents might not even exist yet but that’s not a problem - all you have to do is create a new folder in Documents named My Games and then place the Grim Dawn save folder in it. Then fire up the game and it will automatically see the folder, your previous settings, and your characters. That’s it.

1 Like

Thank you for answer but like I’ve said I’m using steam cloud. So how do I still copy them without disabling the cloudsave(which may occur an error and I can lost everything).

Easy. Go to the Network tab and click the shown button. This will download your saves from the cloud to your local saves location.
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

Simply double-check that the folder contains your characters.

On a fresh windows install to get them BACK into the cloud simply fire up the game and you may get a message as shown below. You would respond YES to this popup and it would load the characters currently occupying the local save folder directly back into the cloud. Keep in mind that these character folders are still in the local saving location AS WELL as in the cloud. The game however can only see only the cloud location or the local saving location only at any one time depending on your settings. What you do in the cloud with your characters will not affect the local saving characters unless you redownload the characters from the cloud and overwrite the local saving location copies of them.

If for some reason it doesn’t show you this pop-up you would simply go back into the Network tab and click the Delete Cloud Saves button and then exit the options back to the Main Menu. The popup asking you to Import will now appear and, again, you will press YES.

It’s pretty simple to do once you understand how Grim Dawn and Steam cloud works. Once you become familiar with these two buttons and where your saves are and how to manage them you can easily and freely switch between Cloud and Local at will with little fear.

1 Like

Haha yea I’m afraid of that fear :stuck_out_tongue: . I’m slightly over 550k hours since I bought the game 70-75 days ago. Thank you for the answers. I was trusting steam till malawiglenn said one should not to :slight_smile: so I need to keep steam cloud save, and also guaranteeing the save file by uploading them to elsewhere once every week or so to avoid losing all disaster.

I think you meant 550 hours and not 550k. Not even I has that many :wink:

That’s fine. Just take care and be aware of how it all works as it will go a long way to helping dispel that fear as you will always be aware of what to do and how to access your files at any time. Knowledge is power.

I play with only local saves personally but as part of making that mini-tut for you above I had no problem and no fear toggling cloud on and off and booting my local saves directly up into the cloud and then deleting them again from the cloud and switching back to local. Easy as pie and only took mere minutes to do.

2 Likes

On what planet do you live where there are enough hours on one day to make that equation valid? :wink:

:smiley: Omg it’s of course just 550 hours not 550k lol :zipper_mouth_face: You really deserve that Lord Advocate title man :slight_smile:

If it’s not absolutely vital for some reason to have cloud saving, then simply switch to local saves permanently.

Then just back them up on an external drive of some kind regularly. Just nagivate to My Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save, right click on Save and then choose Send to copy it wherever you want it to go to.

I sometimes link this thread several times a day to posts about this sort of thing because cloud saving seems to be getting more and more unreliable every time Steam updates it’s system.

1 Like

Thank you for the guide, I wonder is there anyone who lost his data due to a steam error without any external program interaction or mistakenly/purposely done something wrong. Why you guys are not trusting steam?

Most of it is because of issues over the years with Steam cloud problems in other games. It’s long been known to potentially be problematic in some cases and a simple Google search on the subject can show you this is nothing new. I myself had problems with it with a game years ago. Personally I much prefer local saving and having full unfettered control over my game save files, most especially when it comes to a game like Grim Dawn that I actually care more about. This way I ALWAYS know exactly where they are and if anything happens to them it will be by my own hand and not some sync accident in the cloud.

Plus with moddable games like GD or any game where you might want or need to edit your saves it is much better to not be using cloud as this can potentially be more problematic whereas if you are on local saves any potential issues simply don’t exist and you don’t even need to worry about it.

2 Likes

I have the same impression - that you can lose your saves just because of Steam Cloud.

Quite a good answer :slight_smile: but I’m a clamsy man, due to my diabetes and sometimes I can carry on playing hours while forgeting my meal and medicine which causes time lapses and focusing problems plus losing the speed of motorfunctions and I will certainly lose myself if I lost huge data because of a misclick.

1 Like

Well, there is the slight issue with Grim Dawn and Steam cloud saves where many people after game updates that use cloud start the game up and their saves aren’t visible and they often start crying thinking the game deleted them. This is a well documented and long running bug that I really wish Crate would look into solving so we can quit seeing these posts.

With that said their saves haven’t actually been deleted when this happens. Instead as far as I can determine somehow the Cloud toggle settings in-game OR the cloud sync option here:

…apparently get confused somehow after said game updates. What the user needs to do if this occurs is not to freak the fuck out like many of them do - they just simply need to check both these setting locations and be sure they match each other and reset it back to rights. If that still doesn’t work you should be able to simply disable them both, exit the game, and then reenable them both and your saves should appear again.

1 Like

Ok guys, I’ve restored my progress by GDStash. It’s too great game and I can’t stop it by one fault. Now I’m disable cloud save and add auto sync of my local saves to Google drive. Have fun and good loot!

4 Likes