Lost characters with steam cloud enabled

Hi there,

Today I launched Grim Dawn again after running a clean format on my PC. I am certain that I had steam cloud enabled since I play the game on 2 machines, but I logged in today to find out that much of my progress is gone (I had a level 75 character who is now level 53 and some other ones).

I’ve checked both my local saves and the steam cloud save location on both machines and neither contain the latest characters. Is it an issue with my format or with GD’s servers synchronization with the steam cloud servers? Could someone from support restore my characters’ progress, since they are associated with my steam account or do I have to replay the game from level 53?

If there is an alternative channel where I could post this, please point me to the correct location.

Thanks for any help

sadly no, Crate doesn’t have control over steam cloud, and Valve doesn’t have control over the data stored in the cloud
if your game didn’t sync automatically on reinstall on new system you can check Cloud manually if the files are there

if your level 75 character is not there, then either you did not have cloud on (both in game in game settings and in steam client/library settings), or steam wonked out and didn’t upload/sync your character proper, then there is really nothing to do be done since steam cloud is a separate system from grim dawn

this is why i personally recommend local saves and manual backups, i don’t think it’s a good idea to rely on steam’s cloud because it’s known to be wonky and fail at times, thus isn’t actually reliable

if the character files isn’t actually in the cloud link above to be downloaded, then i’m afraid yes this is your only option if the old drive/files are deleted like in the formatting

1 Like

I would strongly advise looking to see if the files are actually in the cloud. If so, you can then download the files and get going again.