Lost items from stash extra tabs after getting DLC

I have encountered a rather annoying issue…after bringing my level 58 character into the DLC, I lost all the extra tabs filled with loot…

I only have the one main tab with my loot, all the other tabs were locked, I had to buy them and nothing was in it.

Tried looking arround to find a solution, only found this :

That didn’t help much, I’m surprised this didn’t happened to more people, am I missing something here ?

I noticed someone had characters that disapeard also, and some people suggested turning off cloud saves (which are not only in steam parameters for the game itself but inside the game option aswell) the first one didn’t help and the second one when I removed it my characters were gone ! so now I HAVE to use cloud save because it’s on by default ?!

I tried removing the DLCs to see if maybe I could transfer manually but nope, can’t go back (also have to redownload the whole thing but that’s another story)

Anyways…I only care about my loot I had quite a bit of gems, crafting items, bunch of good gear I was holding including some purples… anyone could help maybe ?

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t just turn off cloud saving, you need to move your saves from cloud to local saving as outlined here.

Whether that will fix it or not I don’t know; it’ll depend if switching around has caused cloud to overwrite any local saves you had.

Thank you, unfortunatly, that didn’t help, I did however turn off cloud saves since I have a very bad internet at times.

What in your

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

and

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save

maybe you have some leftover files there?

For example

• transfer.bst is for base game, .cst is for Aom

• character folders can have single or double underscores…

w8 I think I missed that you had Cloud Saves :thinking: but check anyway, maybe there’s something there

are you sure you are on the right stash tab?
ashes of malmouth added more stash tab, some people think they lost loot when they are on the personal page when they actually have their loot on the shared page (“yellow” vs “purple” tabs)

Yea there were no saves there I checked, and now I do have them.

I’m aware of shared tabs, tabs are just missing, in the base game the tabs you unlock were on the left side, now they’re on the top, I had all tabs unlocked and filled with loot.

shared stash, the ones you had in base game - tabs are purple’ish/violet, the ones you had in basegame

hit the button in the red square and you get this, personal tabs “normal” coloured - you had 1 in base game

expansion gave you more tabs, that’s why you might think some are “missing” - and click the right tab button (shared vs personal) and you should get your items, (assuming you didn’t just mess up your stash file when you moved saves 2mins ago)
you had access to 4 shared tabs and 1 personal tab before
now with expansion you have access to 6 shared and 6 personal, that’s why some will appear unlocked/not bought yet, regardless if you were on shared tab page or personal

as a note even the post you’re citing in your OP didn’t actually have a lost stash issue, they had a DLC enabled stash vs non dls stash issue (can’t convert back once entered game world with expansion active)

So you’re saying there was only 1 normal tab ? Ok then it must have been the shared tabs I had unlocked… strange either way, I will buy/unlock all tabs to see if maybe the items are still here, and post screenshots…

I was playing without DLCs with friends, had all “normal” tabs unlocked, now in DLC, both normal tabs and shared tabs were empy, only the first tab of the normal tabs was actually with my items in it (incidentally, the tab where I happened to have the worst loot lol), definitely a glitch or not sure what’s going on, and yes for the second time I’m aware of the shared tab switch button :sweat_smile:

What I find strange is… if it’s a glitch, it would have happened to alot of people.

EDIT : here is a quick video…

Definitely missing my old tabs :sob:

like i said, you probably messed with your files earlier in the thread
my guess is what happened to you is what happened to 99% of old similar threads
they log in with expansion, see only 1 tab with 5 to buy - because they are now on their personal, doesn’t check all their shared stash tabs instead, and have a knee jerk reaction trying to uninstall dlc/rename stash files
this then in turn actually resets their stash, and now when they go into expansion mode they have overwritten their previous correct stash with a missing one

just like i mentioned before, that thread you’re citing in your OP didn’t actually have a missing stash issue, the person just enabled their stash in expansion mode, which is irreversible, disable dlc/started base game only mode, and now were missing stash, because the expansion “converted” stash, and character, can’t go back

at this point your only potential hope could be that your old pre expansion stash still exists in the backup file, but, since as you say you already tried uninstalling dlc and doing base game only, you’ve probably already overwrote/“updated” your old expansion stash file to “not the right old one”

1 Like

No I believe I did check I was aware of the shared stash and a friend also told me about it when I told him my issues, he thought the same as you.

Didn’t try to rename stash files.

Don’t really get the converted stash thing, regardless, if you have unlocked tabs in normal mode, it shouldn’t delete them when you get on the DLC, to me it sounds more like a glitch where the game fails to bring your old tabs into the new updated UI, somehow.

Anyways don’t think there is a way to fix it at this point… and even if there was, probably won’t be possible to retrieve “Just the stashes”, don’t wanna lose all my new progress, new loot etc.

So I guess I’ll just have to live with it lol

Thanks for the help though

shared stash is in its own separate file from char progress, if your old stash actually still existed it would be simple to carry in, and you could just remove any “new loot” you had currently in your shared stash ex into your personal stash
the issue would be whether or not you (still) had that original stash file or not

I recommend backing up your saves from now on from time to time. I do that despite never having any issues.

Oh nice so I’m gonna have to figure out, but yeah if the save was on the cloud and that save is now on my local disk, I don’t see how it would still be there mmh

At this point I’m wondering if it’s worth the hastle, I have already farmed a bit and found alot of gems, and items of higher level which is more important now anyways, but I remember I was keeping some stuff that I couldn’t equip yet lvl 60 plus so it’s sad.

Guess there is a guide somewhere to find and edit those file

and nice yeah agree definitely backed it up already and probably will need to keep doing that regularly just to make sure.

1 Like

cloud is just a terminology for the save location where steam uploads to cloud, it’s still located physically on your system
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata"your numbers"\219990\remote\save
this is steam cloud location, and game save location when steam cloud is on in game (if you’re using grim dawn steam version)

C:\Users"you"\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\
this is local saves location when cloud is off in game

there should be some different named “transfer” files in your old "cloud"save location, i can’t remember if it’s bst or cst ending, and hopefully one that’s called “bak”
what you do is,

1. make a backup copy “somewhere” of all your files in that folder/the save folder in “cloud location” and local saves
  2. then, in/from your “cloud” save location; you rename the bst/cst to gst - might even be worth to try this on the bak file (just rename it to .gst without the bak end)
  3. then you plop that transfer.gst file you just “made” into your local save location and overwrite your current

as long as you’ve made a backup copy of your local (and cloud?) save folder first it should be no issue, as you could then just revert/plop in the backup file, if the stash doesn’t pan out as desired

1 Like

And a very convenient thing is that you can try all these stash files while in-game near your stash to test them quickly. Just don’t have it opened when changing the files.

I didn’t back up the local files because I thought they were located in documents/mygame/grimdawn and there was nothing there… interesting so I will check to see if I can find those files oh and nice yea thanks tqFan

mmh found the file so there are a total of 3 transfer files… .bst .cst .gst

and I notice in the documents/mygame/grimdawn there is a transfer.gst.bak aswell ? maybe it’s that save that got renamed .bak as a backup, wild speculation here… no idea

I think you waste time trying to recover objects, better play and you will begin to recover what was lost and more

Well low level items / blueprints are not important for sure unless someone likes very slow leveling, optimizing their characters perfectly with low level gear etc.

Nope, you are wrong. This bug just happened to me. There was no prior manipulation of the game files nor am I confused between the character stash tabs and the transfer stash tabs. I bought the DLC this past weekend had ALL “TRANSFER TABS” unlocked. Then last night I launch the game and all of a sudden the last 2 TRANSFER TABS were locked again AND the other tabs that had a different combination of items/gear before had changed but yet when I checked my individual characters (all 20 of them!) I still recognized some of the items that I had transferred to them from the shared TRANSFER STASH. Yet, AGAIN, the LAST 2 TABS WERE LOCKED. Meaning I would have to pay the cost to unlock them again. Accept for whatever reason; likely because I had already spent the money, none of my characters now have enough currency to unlock those last 2 tabs again. Also, I AM NOT USING MODS! The last slot that had previously been unlocked had ALL of my Components that I had collected between my original 15 (Vanilla) characters. On some of them, I had stacks of over 500!. I had nearly 600 scrap and at least 24 dynamite plus lots of other items that I don’t quite recall…ALL GONE!!!