Lost local character save file. please help!

I had a lvl 100 Pyromancer able to tank Korvaak easily. i put sooooo much time into this character. I lost home internet for about a month, and in that time, i lvl’d my pyromancer to 100, got tons of excellent gear, had the build out perfectly to my liking and could do all content on Ultimate. I moved into my new place, got internet, and the game automated cloud saving. Loaded my game and noticed my character is back at lvl 66, the lvl at when i lost internet connection.

I disabled cloud saves and i have nothing, no characters at all in game. I went to my local save file location (This PC > Documents > My Games > Grim Dawn > save folder) and there’s only one file there called “playmenu.cpn”. I made a new character, and exited game. Went back to that folder, now there’s a “Main” and in that folder is the character i just made but no others. Interestingly, i also found my remote save files on my C drive by doing a search for my characters name and found it here.

Any advice to get my character back would be appreciated. And also, how do i submit a ticket to Crate for them to look into it? Thank you.

did you play on a different computer before/after the move?
if so the chars would be on the old computer
if you played on the same, it sounds like you chose the wrong steam cloud sync option and steam overwrote your save with the old cloud stored save (in which case there is nothing you can do)
make a system wide search see if your char is there in a different folder (possibly the onedrive folder) far our reach chance tho i’m guessing it’s not there

can send them an email, but nothing Crate can do and as far as i’m aware they don’t handle such cases at all, since it’s entirely a local system and or steam feature interaction they have 0 control over either

I chose the wrong steam cloud sync? that would be my luck :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
i’m almost prepared to submit to fucking up somehow, even though i’m totally confused, because if i had seen a prompt that told me i would be overwriting my local save, i would’ve canceled.

afaik, when steam cloud registers as “online” again/the steam client notices you have internet again and there is a discrepancy between the cloud save date and the local save date a prompt always comes up (it’s the only way you can overwrite your save since otherwise you would overwrite cloud via automated sync)
when that sync prompt happens, what seems to happen is people tell it to sync from cloud, ie download the cloud save and overwrite your save on the computer (seems people do this thinking you’re playing “live” from steam cloud servers, but that’s not how steam cloud/saves work, for any game)

since the game only ever reads saves from your actual computer, unless you synced down from the cloud, overwriting your save on the PC with old from steam’s cloud server, there wouldn’t really be much of a way you could revert progress like that to the pre internet state.
Not gonna rule out steam not making that prompt, steam having its own jank potential ofc, but unless you were playing on a different computer or have saves in Onedrive folder, i don’t really see how else this much progress could be lost/reverted, accidental click on your part or not - and unless the saves are there/other PC/onedrive folder, it’s gone/overwritten with the recent cloud sync

Sorry, didnt answer your initial question, no i haven’t used a different computer… one only. i’m preparing myself mentally to use a mod to lvl my character again quickly to get it back again unfortunately.

The problem is you played the character while Steam couldn’t save to the cloud so when you did get internet back it overwrote the local ones with what it had on the cloud.

Where you found your character is Steam’s cloud saving location on your PC. Local saves are in the My Documents - My Games - Grim Dawn - save folder.

If you want to move your characters from cloud saving to local saves then follow the instructions here

Just back the local save folder up regularly to keep from losing progress.

Alright well, even though its bad news, thanks for responding. I think i’m gonna try to lvl him again with a mod to make it faster and get him back that way. Appreciate the info. /thumbsup

can always just use GDstash to grant you the levels and potential ultimate unlock and rift points, reputation etc
it wont clear the Ultimate quests ofc, but now doing hidden path on ult will grant you points if you skipped it on Normal/Elite, so you wont have to clear Elite atleast