Map editing question

First a bit of pre-amble, questions at the end:

I’ve turned to creating a personal mod to deal with some nuisances that could stop me playing the game.

Specifically, I set out to mod the map lighting so that it would be “always day” - I didn’t want to lose the visual style or character, just make it easier to see what the heck’s going on.

I couldn’t figure out how to unpack the world map files, so looked for a mod that already had them (and basically only them), figuring I could paste them into my personal mod directory.

Lo and behold I found this gem which only modified the damage layer - an added bonus since that’s a nuisance I was happy to see go as well. (hat-tip to Ceno, thanks so much)

Now, I figured out how to get into the day/night layer, figured out how to edit to to be mostly daytime, improved the quality of light in general, and have twice played through to the end of Act 4.

BUT, I cannot seem to progress into Act 5/the AOM expansion areas. As far as I can tell, the game does not seem to recognise the expansion map areas if they are not in the modded content (which of course they are not, since Ceno developed that mod pre-xpac).

So, my questions are:

• Am I correct in understanding how the xpac/map interaction works? Or is there something I’m doing wrong that could enable the xpac despite using a mod that only has pre-xpac map content?
  • If that is the case, where can I get the post-xpac map content unpacked and added? or alternately, how can I DIY it, since I can’t seem to figure that out either?

Thanks in advance, from a novice modder, for any advice!

With a bit more research I’ve managed to answer my own question, so posting the answer here for anyone who may come across the same stumbling block later.

I found this tool in the utilities section (thanks, GlockenGerda!) which decompiles map files.

By applying it to the expansion pack map file, I created the complete set of world files I needed, then simply went in and made the same edits as I made previously.

Feel free to close the topic.