Map Seed Generation Data and Findings

Link to Google Sheets document with all of the data. Take a look at yourself and see if you can find anything we did not.

There was a discussion with some of how map generation works. We started to look at the seed options that are in the system. I generated 1000+ seeds of 5 of the predefined biomes. Then 1000+ of the random seed to find some patterns. A total of about 7k seeds were generated.

The seed value is an 11-digit hex value. Hexadecimal - Wikipedia We have numbered the slots for the usage of this research. You can see or enter a seed when generating a new settlement by clicking advanced settings. It can also be viewed in-game at the bottom of the Game Setting(ESC).

The first page of the spreadsheet is all of the raw data, with the biome name and the seed values. It also has totals of all of the There is a sheet for the overall heat map of all values. Darker green shows the higher values in the column.

Then there is a sheet for each of the biomes and random rolls. The seed values are taken from the raw data sheet. Each slot of the seed is broken down.

Then there is a page for each of the slots of the map seed. The values are taken from the slot of the biome pages. I have added some charts and graphs to try to add insight to the values.

Slots and Notes

Slot Description Notes
1 Pregen / random only show from 0-9 Static entry of map seed allows 0-F.
2-6 Unknown This may be a group that adds salt to the overall generation. This would be 16^5 or 1048576
7 Biomes See chart below
8 Mountains and Hills 0 is flat. F is mountains
9 Unknown Maybe part of 8 as a value pair. 16^2 or 256
10 Water / Valleys 0 is no water. F is lots of water
11 Unknown Maybe part of 10 as a value pair. 16^2 or 256

Slot 7 - Biomes

Value Biome
0 Unknown
1 Plains
2 Lowland Lakes
3 Alpine Valleys
4 Arid Highlands
5 Unknown (Wasteland?)
6 Idyllic Valley
7-F Not Valid

Link to Imgur Album for my mobile friends. Includes screenshots of the data

https://imgur.com/a/B9PO6hg

Thanks to all that helped me with the testing and discussion of seeds.

4 Likes

Thanks again for all your hard work, Pikester!

Sample size of 1k per biome is massively impressive!

How does Medium vs Large impact the generated map? Can you find the medium map inside of a large map with the same seed?

My testing so far is only with the seeds. Nothing to do with the resources or layout of the map.

Thanks this is useful info

or the dev here can just tell us :laughing: