Mechanics Question: Flames of Ignaffar and Lifesteal

Hi all. I have a Purifier using Flames of Ignaffar as his main attack. I have a question regarding lifesteal. I am looking at the rune Bane, which, let’s say, does 5% of attack damage as lifesteal.

Right now, my main hand is a dagger. On the weapon itself (White text above the affixes), it does X chaos damage and X Fire damage. Below the affixes, it also says Y aether damage.

Thus, as I understand, when my Flames of Ignaffar Skill hits, the “Main Hand Damage” portion of the skill hits for (X Chaos (plus chaos mods) + X Fire (plus fire mods)) * (Flames of Ignaffar Ratio, here .51), = D Damage. With Bane equipped to lifesteal B% of Attack Damage, I would be lifestealing B*D, reduced by enemy defenses. Is this correct?

That’s way complicated method of calculating life steal. Life steal works on spells with weapon damage. To fully benefit from it you need skill with 100% WD. If you have lower WD, life steal will scale with it. If your Flames of Ignaffar have 50% WD and you have 20% life steal it will basically mean 10% life steal and Bane will contribute with 2.5% in this case.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
I was concerned with damage types, because the Fire damage on my sword is amplified by a huge %, whereas the Chaos damage is nearly unmodified. So it seems to matter for the eventual amount I lifestyle how the types of damage come to be “main hand damage”.

1 Like

Damage types will have effect on your main hand WD and thus life steal but difference is not that big, since Flames of Ignaffar WD compartment is not big.

But every bit of global flat damage will go through % damage bonus. Damage mod to Flames of Ignaffar will not be calculated though. So if you have let’s say 40 chaos damage to FoI, that will not be added to the main hand damage.

I don’t quite get it yet. Bear with me! Using some simple numbers and an example calculation would help me get there.

Let’s say:
My main-hand weapon does 2 fire damage and 2 chaos damage.
My global Fire Damage modifier is 100%.
My global Chaos Damage modifier is 0%.
My Flames of Ignaffar skill reads “50% Main Hand Damage”.
My Rune reads “33% of Attack Damage Converted to Health”.

2 fire damage + 100% global fire modifier = 4 fire damage
2 chaos damage + 0% global chaos modifier = 2 chaos damage
4 + 2 = 6 main hand damage
6 Main hand Damage * 50% Flames of Ignaffar ratio = 3 Damage
3 damage * 33% of attack damage converted to health = 1 Damage healed.

Correct? Thanks.

Almost.

The ‘Main Hand Damage’ will modify the value of Attack Damage Converted to Health (ADCTH) as well (up to a cap of 100% Main Hand Damage). So your 33% ADCTH will be reduced down to 16.5% with 50% Main Hand Damage, and you’ll be healed for 0.5 health from your 3 damage ticks from your weapon.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thank you. Quite a revelation.

Why is that the case? I had thought that:

Flames of Ignaffar deals 50% Main Hand Damage as Attack Damage.
33% of my attack damage is converted to health.

Where is the second reduction? It doesn’t follow to me that my Attack Damage Converted to Health should be reduced my a skill that says simply “Main Hand Damage.”

Just the way of things.

Global ADCTH is one of several stats that aren’t damage but are sort of ‘effects’ that can be translated through Weapon Damage. Some others are Resistance Reduction or Damage Reductions or Stuns. All of these get modified by the Weapon Damage (up to the aforementioned cap of 100% efficiency) (I don’t actually know what happens when a Stun is modified by Weapon Damage; I’d assume the duration shortens).

Cool, thanks for the explanations.

@jawa, I’m curious about what is going on under the hood. :slightly_smiling_face:. Also, I don’t think the EOTGD isn’t good enough!