Melee Purifier? Besides meme fun or trash kill/farm, is it viable end game/vs. big baddies?

As I work my way across the skill tree of both the Demolitionist and Inquisitor, I am noticing a lot of melee or very close range skills.

Demolitionist

1. Searing Might (2H-Weapon) or Searing Strike (1H-Weapon) from Fire Strike
  2. Vindictive Flame (with or without Ulzuin’s Wrath)
  3. Blast Shield
  4. Some of the ‘thrown’ skills are extremely close ranged, might as well use w/a melee weapon

Inquisitor

1. Pretty much everything, save for Ranged Expertise and the range WPSs on the top row
  2. The runes and seals are very melee(ish) or prep/kite as best. Still have to get a bit too close for my liking with a range character. But at least they explode mobs spawned by totems. I do like seeing that a lot. The ones that don’t die I pick off with my pistols.
  3. Word of Arms for Word of Renewal is for a 2H-Weapon

Also, while I was looking for builds (was thinking either 2H or DW, not S&B), I saw barthollem’s warmaul. That got me thinking, maybe there are 1H-weapons out there too that will make a DW Purifier viable or at least fun, maybe a farm build?

Also, what’s the deal with not being able to shoot that far in this game? I find myself way too close to these monsters and not the ones that charge at you really fast either, even the slow moving monsters. I might as well be using 2 melee weapons vs. 2 pistols. That alone got me into thinking about a melee version of this archtype class even before looking at the skills as I get more points to spend/level up.

Though now you need the replace the medal with Korvaak’s Brand to get %15 WD modifier.

Ironically enough, Purifier is the worst ranged class and one of the best melee classes. Confused? Yeah, you might be using two pistols, but 90% of the time you fight enemies toe-to-toe, Inquisitor’s Seal requires you to stand still in one place, and Aura of Censure and Thermite Mines demand from your enemy to be standing right in front of you so you can smell their deodorant. So no matter what weapons you use, Purifier is a melee class.

The best ranged class is Witchblade, believe it or not.

1 Like

I’m not a melee expert but something like this adjusted to Purifier could perhaps work: >1.1.9.1< Pyro Reborn, DW Melee Chaos Pyromancer. No Greens. SR 85+

fordprefect: That looks like a fun build to play. That hammer is just too dang good to pass up too, especially for a green.

XandeRoot: Yeah, I would say that is very ironic indeed. It truly is funny how things work out. I’ll have to look into that range Witchblade. I haven’t done too much with the core game since I was messing around with the grimarillion mod, so now I am trying to find a good main character to start things and thought I would try range instead of melee or spell cast.

tqFan: Nice. Okay, I am definitely keeping my character. Good to know I could either stay 2 pistol or go either 2 handed (above) or 2 weapons, talk about versatility.

Currently rocking a melee purifier due to the 2 soulblades i found lol. Max aura censure, all passives no active skills like mortar or BW whatsoever lol. On mobs its virtually immortal due to the 3% health after kill. On bosses its gets clapped a couple of times but nothing frustrating maybe just need better items or re spec etc. Finished elite

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Cris_Macaraig.

Nice and grats on finishing elite. I have 2 Korvaak’s Burning Blade from the Forgotten Gods area. I am 78 atm and am in the Homestead part of elite difficulty. I do splat from time to time, just don’t have the defense needed to go deathless vs. some bosses and the really tough hero mobs. However, I melt trash mobs by the dozens and I can mow down many hero mobs with half or more life left.

Edit: Purifier, Level 78 (GD 1.1.9.4) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator I am messing around with mortar atm. It’s okay. It’s a bit slow for my liking. Next, I will try using the thermite mines and see if I like those better.

Edit: I just found two Soul Blades and they rock. I do 3k less dps, but the 3-4% life steal per attack and the 3% life gain from mob death is awesome. I tear through trash mobs with ease. I did before, but now I can do so face tanking vs. a little mobility. Big mobs and bosses are easier. I can stand in the bad and take more hurt longer before I need to move or drink a potion. I just dinged 80 and I think the trek to 100 will be a lot easier with these weapons. I can’t wait to find the improved versions, say level 94?