Menhir's Will; How much is too much?

I notice many soldier builds use this skill but I never see it maxed. Sometimes 1 point, sometimes a few points, but never a lot. I have this on my Warder, and had it maxed for most of the game. Recently I’ve started taking points out of it for Military Conditioning. I think I’m at 13/16 now. I’m curious are points in it after a certain points wasted? At cap it’s a big heal, but also a ton of hp/sec for 10 secs. I’d lower it further on my character, but I’m worried about that loss of hps. At what point does the loss of healing and regain noticeable?

6 is usually where I see it being softcapped. If you are relying on it for sustain you are doing something wrong. The primary function of the skill is the instant heal meant to keep you from keeling over. If you are constantly proccing it there is likely something else wrong with your build.

In my experience you don’t need more than 10. If you feel like you do then you’re relying it to survive, which you shouldn’t.

No, generally if it procs near the end of a boss fight, the added sustain means I can facetank through the last 10% of health, even standing in stuff. If it’s happening earlier in a fight, it doesn’t matter at all, the fight is probably a lost cause. The added sustain in that final few percent though I like because I can just burn everything down and go all out, and many fights the last 20% tends to have a lot more incoming damage, so if I do get that low, it can mitigate that burst damage at the end. I have behemoth and chariot of dead procs and ghoulish hunger and wendigo totem and feral hunger, so no, I don’t ‘count’ on it for sustain, but it’s guaranteed sustain if it comes down to it.

I take it I’m overthinking the added sustain from it? That is essentially where my question is I guess. How necessary is that sustain, which I think I have an answer now. Thanks.

What do you guys mean by ‘sustain’?
The skill description makes no mention of it
Thanks

I got 9/16 points invested in Menhir’s Will. i guess it is only worth to invest more in it if you rely on high health regeneration.

Generally means things that keep you alive. Flat healing, +health per second, and +% health per second. Menhir’s Will gives a flat heal amount followed by health per second.

Edit: Also attack damage converted to health (adcth) is probably considered sustain. Any skill, stat, or ability that keeps you alive. Idk if damage absorption like Mirror or Blast Shield can also be considered sustain.

This might actually be problem, relying on it to survive. For example I beat Log on ultimate for the first time today. Beat him first attempt, no deaths. Buuut, Menhir’s Will proc’d 3 or 4 times during the fight. I don’t know if I overly rely on it because usually I don’t notice my health getting that low. It’s usually an instantaneous kind of thing. Full or close to it, drops down to low instantly, then back up to full instantly (from MW). I rarely use health potions, so perhaps that is why. Without menhirs I would have used a pot. I imagine with it lower, I’d follow it proccing with a pot to make up for the less % heal and less heals per sec.

At any rate, I’m just going to keep lowering it until I’m no longer comfortable and see where it ends up.

Thanks Lucius_ that makes sense
I have 6 in MW on my soldier; and if it procs I take it as a sign it is time to disengage for a few secs to let my Constitution fully refill my health (is that sustain too I wonder) then back into the fray.
Disengaging for a few seconds as well as completely refilling my health bar also gives MW and potions cooldowns time to advance and reset; so ideally they will be ready again if I need them later in the fight.
So I only rely on MW as a safety net or circuit breaker as you guys say, and as a warning signal to watch out.
I play hardcore so MW is the kind of skill I dont actually need to use to justify investing in it - if you get my meaning.

Usually, there are better skills to max out. Yes, maxing Menhir’s Will decreases CD and increases HP restored, but usually, with several extra bonuses to all skills, it already restores ~1/3 HP and decent regen, and it’s enough to save your butt. Few seconds less CD also isnt so important, because if Menhir’s will triggers every CD, you wont survive long anyway. Sure, on HC, if you have some spare skill points, you can put them into MW to feel yourself a bit safer, but on SC, usually you should just put 1 point into it and that’s all.

Sustain = ability to recover lost HP after taking damage. Life leech, Constitution, life regen, potions - they all are various forms of “sustain”.
Things, that mitigate damage (armor, resists, damage absorb, etc) are NOT sustain.