[Mod] [Mastery] Occultist Redux

The Occultist is, at the time of this writing, in a fairly odd spot right now. Some aspects of it are overpowered, some are underpowered, but virtually the entire mastery is a ‘support’ mastery in the sense that its skills benefit other mastery’s skills moreso than its own. In addition, there’s a recurring problem with the Occultist with itemization, as there are too many Occultist-themed items with +Vitality Damage and +Attack Speed or +Chaos Damage and +Casting Speed, even though within the Occultist these sorts of abilities do not exist.

This mod attempts to fix all of the above. This mod is partially a sort of Feedback/Idea for Crate to take inspiration from as well as for the community to physically enjoy in the meantime.

Before I get into the specifics of the changes made, I’d like to take the time to answer a couple questions I imagine some of you may have.

Q: Will this be added to Cornucopia by default, given that Cornucopia is a rebalancing mod and you’re one of its developers?
A: Not by my call. I wouldn’t argue against its merge, but I also have no intention to merge it at present. Occultist Redux is not an attempt at rebalancing the mastery (although some over-performing skills were tweaked), rather, it’s an attempt at redesigning the mastery toward something with more build possibilities and a broader sense of purpose all with the intent of making it fun.

Q: Why the Occultist?
A: As described above, Occultist is too much of a support mastery to feel complete. There’s really only three ways to use Occultist as your main mastery, and that’s with a Pet build, a DEE build or a SoC build. This mod attempts to broaden the ways you can ‘main’ Occultist while leaving its supportive nature intact, if not improving upon it. More importantly than that, I chose the Occultist simply because I’ve never liked the mastery since I first played Grim Dawn. It’s been powerful, and I’ve made plenty of characters involving the Occultist, but I never found the mastery itself functionally fun.

Q: Will you rework–
A: No. I have no intention to rework any of the other masteries in Grim Dawn. I think they already do what they need to in order to synergize with themselves and function wholly.

VERSION 1.0
^download^

Changes to the Mastery:

[spoiler][ul]
[li]Merged Bonds of Bysmiel with Solael’s Witchfire. Merged Manipulation with Second Rite. This was done for a couple of reasons. The first of which was to physically open up UI space for the addition of another skill line in the mastery. The second is to encourage investment in both SW and SR on a pet build, and to empower Hybrid Chaos/Vitality Summoner builds, all while simplifying and minimzing required skillpoint investment.[/li]
Note that this innately means any gear with +BoB or +Manipulation will bug out and will not properly bump up any skills, given that those two skills no longer exist.

[li]Removed Cooldown from Bloody Pox. Removed Cooldown Reduction from Fevered Rage. Bloody Pox feels clunky. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. This will allow you to manually spread the ‘disease’ yourself if you want to, rather than needing to rely on its own spread mechanic (which, of course, it still has). You no longer need to drastically empower enemies if you don’t want to solely for the purpose of having no cooldown on the skill.[/li]
More importantly, this makes Fevered Rage that much more distinct from its base skill because FR is solely an OA/DA adjustment (and more % Current Life Damage) on enemies. If you think it’s worth the risk, take it. Otherwise, stick with the base skill with no functional penalties for doing so.

[li]Reworked the stats of Curse of Frailty and Vulnerability. [spoiler]Curse of Frailty: [/li]
No longer reduces Physical Resistance or Bleed Resistance. Now reduces Armor (by a %) and Life Leech Resistance of affected enemies.

Vulnerability:

No longer reduces Vitality Resistance, Poison&Acid Resistance, or Elemental Resistance. Now applies a Total Resistance Debuff to affected enemies.

There’s no questioning that CoF/Vuln were originally overpowered. Witchblades are dominating the meta due to CoF’s Phys resist reduction and the combo is virtually essential on such a wide variety of builds. These changes attempt to curb some of that OPness back in line. Vulnerability’s new Total Resistance Reduction is of the same values as it was in Vanilla. In a vacuum, this means that CoF/Vulnerability function the same for Elemental, Poison&Acid, and Vitality damage types, but BETTER for Physical Damage and WORSE for Bleeding Damage.

HOWEVER, Total Resistance Reduction does NOT stack. This means you can no longer stack Vulnerability with Break Morale, Raging Tempest, Mark of Dreeg, or Acid Spray (Manticore Constellation).

Again, however, this means something else…Vulnerability now benefits Aether and Chaos builds. The ramifications of this change are definitely too huge to discuss in this post alone, but hopefully it should sufficiently shake up the Witchblade/Devotion metagame enough and create some new, viable builds in the process.[/spoiler]
[li]Blood of Dreeg has been changed into a toggleable buff, and it has received a new transmuter. [spoiler]Many people have requested that BoD be turned into a toggle, so here it is. It (and its modifier) no longer have a flat energy cost, but instead now have a cost/second. Its cooldown is the same, however, and it still has a % Health Heal. This means that if you want to quickly toggle BoD on and off for the burst heal, you can do so, and use the skill as a heal as in Vanilla. For everyone else, the skill is now a buff.[/li]
I also reduced the Area of Effect of the buff from 20 meters to 15 meters, bringing it more in line with other AoE buffs (most of which are 12 meters, but I spared the extra 3 meters for more pet synergy).

The new transmuter converts 100% of Acid Damage into Chaos Damage while Blood of Dreeg is active. This applies to the flat Acid Damage you get from Blood of Dreeg, as well as the flat Acid Damage on various skills, most notably Dreeg’s Evil Eye. Finally, with DEE + the BoD transmuter, we have a Casting Speed skill for Chaos Damage that isn’t Chaos AAR.[/spoiler]
[li]Merged Mend Flesh into Summon Familiar. Merged Ember Claw into Summon Hellhound. Moved the other pet skills up a bit; the Familiar’s other skills can be accessed one rank earlier, and the Hellhound’s two ranks earlier.In short, the Occultist’s pets are more efficient. From this and the BoB/Manipulation change, pet builds should have many more skillpoints available to work with, especially hybrid pet builds. It also makes the Raven substantially more notable right from the get-go, due to its built-in heal. Mend Flesh scales the same as it had before, but Ember Claw scales somewhat worse. This is because Ember Claw was a 12 point skill whereas Hellhound is a 16 point skill. Ember Claw’s stats start and end (at 26/16) where they did with the original skill, however.[/li]
As with Bonds of Bysmiel and Manipulation, +skills to Mend Flesh or Ember Claw will bug out.

[li]Added a new skill to the mastery, Vital Assault. Features a modifier of its own, Life Leech. [spoiler]One of the big complaints with the Occultist is that it features a lot of flat damage seemingly benefiting a Weapon Attack, but features no such skill of its own. This goes back to the original problem of Occultist being a support mastery. Now, it has its own attack. This skill works with Weapon Pool Skills, like Fire Strike or Savagery do, and is centered around Vitality Damage. This skill has no Weapon Requirements.[/li]
Its modifier provides the skill with innate Attack Damage Converted to Health, +% Vitality Damage, and some flat Chaos Damage.

I tried to balance these skills similarly to Fire Strike while keeping in mind that it provides no AoE whatsoever and is only made available deep into the Occultist mastery.[/spoiler]
[/ul][/spoiler]

I hope you enjoy Occultist Redux. Let me know of any suggestions you have or bugs you find.

-Ceno

Giving it a whirl, will let you know.

Using Bloody Pox build, i’ve heard that one was pretty scrutinized.

I see why it’s an avoided skill. At lvl 12, I couldn’t really even damage Milton Hart, and I was throwing all I had at him. I get that it’s a sort of passive DoT, but with Fevered Rage, it doesn’t even make a good support skill. Not giving up yet, i’ve been quick to judge and wrong before.

Eh. I really haven’t improved the damage of Bloody Pox…it still likely sucks. It just feels better while it sucks.

If you want it to do damage, get Cornucopia. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, though.

In the cellar, it was pretty ok, I mean, at least superior than auto-attacking everything to death. And I dig that newly effected enemies suffer the entire duration (I know it always has). But as you and everyone else knows, nobody in their right minds should really ever use it.

In case anyone cares, these are the two I am most strongly considering to put into Cornucopia. I think it does a lot to open up Occultist as making hybrid pet builds a viable thing. Considering something similar for Shaman too.

Fuckin’ Awesome work Ceno!! I haven’t tried any mods yet but this new skill is compelling me to try it

One of the big complaints with the Occultist is that it features a lot of flat damage seemingly benefiting a Weapon Attack, but features no such skill of its own. This goes back to the original problem of Occultist being a support mastery. Now, it has its own attack. This skill works with Weapon Pool Skills, like Fire Strike or Savagery do, and is centered around Vitality Damage. This skill has no Weapon Requirements.

Its modifier provides the skill with innate Attack Damage Converted to Health, +% Vitality Damage, and some flat Chaos Damage.

I tried to balance these skills similarly to Fire Strike while keeping in mind that it provides no AoE whatsoever and is only made available deep into the Occultist mastery.

P.S

You people working the Corncuopia should consider making your own game ;). Great job with this solo redux , Ceno

EDIT:

Is this the first rework of a class or does Cornucopia have other reworks as well?

Even when u have answered it. Please at this to Cornucopia. :smiley:

Let’s not derail this thread, as it is it’s own entity, but I will answer this here.

We have rebalanced over 60% of the vanilla game’s skills in cornucopia. But as for reworking, as in replacing/drastically changing skills, we have only done a few. We added some transmutors, and raven’s lightning or and lightning strike are very different in cornucopia. As just some examples.

Thanks /10char

As a single class the occultist feels way better to play. With the merging of the first pet skills they are way stronger. Maybe their merged skill should be toned down a bit. The ember claw of the hellhound quiet packs a punch without any pet damage bonus. The attack skill is a nice addition and makes a combo with the nightblade better to play.

Off topic:

Please yes! I always wanted to play a hybrid but it always felt like not having enough skill points to do it :smiley:

Edit: Obvious Spelling errors

I’ve also always felt the Occultist to be lacking as a main mastery, being too spread out between summoning, chaos/vitality and acid/poison. Your changes work well in order to make it possible to combine these different elements in one build instead of, as usual, only picking a couple of skills in the tree to support your other mastery choice.

Nice buff to those of us that like to have a sidekick without having to invest too many points in pets.

For the new skill, I’m thinking about a way to spice it up without changing the core skill. Maybe give it a X % chance of spreading to X additional target in the way that torrent and/or Omen’s granted skill does. Would give the skill a more visual punch.

Also, I’d love to see flat life leech somewhere, especially as you’ve made CoF lower resistances for it.

All of this was said before even trying it out for myself, so it’s possible some of my criticism is misplaced. Good job either way, I’m likely going to use this over the vanilla version.

I somehow missed this. This is amazing on multiple levels.

Great work :smiley:

So after a few concessions I requested, and some back and forth, we will be porting the majority of this into Cornucopia… numbers will be tweaked for our balance needs.

Very good news, thx :slight_smile:

Mind telling us what parts will be cut/reworked?

Bonds of Bysmiel + Manipulation merge with witchfire/second rite will be changed. Instead of how it is in this mod, Bonds of Bysmiel
s will be split in half and merged with witchfire/second rite. The transmutor “Consecrated Blade” will be raised from 3 ranks to 5 (so from 15% to 25% physical to chaos conversion) and manipulation’s bonuses will be merged with the transmutor. (While this mod makes hybrid pet builds have more free skill points, I felt it was a little over the top, plus putting manipulation on a transmutor I can better control how much dmg/total speed it gives pets for 5 ranks, since it won’t be buffable by +skills from items) (I may reverse this actually and split manipulation over witchfire and second rite, and put bonds on the transmutor… not sure yet)

And the converter transmutor he added to Blood of Dreeg will be reduced from 100% poison -> chaos to 40%. I don’t like getting such open and easy access to conversion generally… i want it to be more item based. ~100% conversion may be supported sometime in the future on new items we add later in development in cornucopia.

Again these changes will impact how we merge into cornucopia, and do not affect this standalone mod.

Just out of curiosity, will this work with the expansion? I’d just dearly love to have this to pair with Necro. My melee Cabalist would work much better with having some sort of default attack.

Yeah. I don’t see much of a reason why it wouldn’t.

Sorry to bug you again, Ceno, but the link appears to be non-functional. Any chance you could fix it?

You might have to fix devotions to work properly (I not seen a single mod were devotions hasn’t broken in Xpack even those that chance virtually nothing).