Moderation in Profiles, PMs and Signatures

Greetings fellow GD fans, it is time for me to remind everyone that there are certain sections of the forums that moderators do not see unless you bring our attention to them. Your profile page and the comments within, for example, are not a region of this site that I am going to check for spam or offensive messages.

So, please do report using the forum report function anything that you may find on your profile page if it is either spam or in any way offensive.

If you ever find something suspect on another user’s profile, you may also report that. Sometimes, spammers come in and make 3 begnin posts and then put the spam on thier own profile. While we catch a lot of them, some slip through from time to time.

In addition, I remind you that everyone, provided they respect forum guidelines, has a right to be here and that no offensive behavior towards another user will be tolerated. It is up to you to refrain from responding to the first offense and merely report the incident. We are not judges and will not sort out who is right or wrong when the unacceptable behavior was coming from both sides.

Trust me, if you report them, we will evaluate the severity of the offense and act appropriately. There is no three strikes rule here either, even though I am tempted to say we will give most users a warning before a ban, if the offense is big enough, you will just be banned and it will fall on you to attempt to repair the situation, if you feel that it is possible.

Everything I said above holds true for PMs too. We do not have access to your PMs, so use the report function and the PM you report will be made visible to moderators in addition to any information you provide as you report it.

Finally, we allow forum signatures but we retain the right to moderate your signature if we feel like it. So please keep them short and polite. Since signatures show up every time you post, we might err on the side of caution when choosing to moderate a signature. If you find your signature altered and you make a second offensive signature, well, you are asking for a forum ban in my opinion. The moderator alterated signature should serve as your one and only warning.

To conclude, I want to thank you all for being a great community. It is not often that I have to do any serious moderating and I know this place is special because of the good group of people that make up the GD community.

Have a good 2018.

Take the new year as an opportunity to refresh yourself on Forum Etiquette too!

You don’t need to follow a code when you have a natural sense for virtue. You know Plato, the Sun. That guy was talkin about me.