Monster Infrequent Affix Drop Rate Discussion

Actually Z has done this. However, if you look at the odds it is really hard to roll. After 800 hrs of rolling badges myself and 8 other people crafting here and there, you start to want some way to mitigate the rng.

Now the argument against my badge issue is that yeah I am able to get 24/16 mortar so the 2 pts won’t make or break me but it is a biased want to finish my build.

Same with the magi rings. I can make my build without them but it wouldn’t quite be as good as it could be. And just to be clear the rings I want are only for the damage conversion. The rings could do nothing else but convert the damage and I would use them.

Don’t know about you but I don’t play games like Grim Dawn to get everything handed to me on a silver plate. Otherwise, the game would be much shorter and good MI or Legendary drops (e.g. Magi rings) would feel less rewarding when they finally happen.

Now, that isn’t to say these things should be uber rare either, and that’s what Crate is working on - they are trying to find a fun balance between double rares not being stupidly rare and not being stupidly easy to get either.

3 Likes

I’ve been on the BoM train back under the worst material requirements. Affix pool was smaller then but it’s not gotten any better. The implied design intent moving on into AoM seemed to be that BoM had been problematic so they were making conduits. Straight +5 rolls on BoMs wouldn’t break anything at this point but they really seem like they’ve been swept under the rug.

I vaguely remember something being quoted around 34 for rolls to have a 50% shot at desired conduit. Even a straight +5 BoM isn’t going to roll your desired skill that fast.

Magi rings don’t feel rewarding because they don’t drop hence gdstash.

are they 3% drop chance? That is quite low considering Alkamos rings are 5%? and ppl are not shy in GDstashing them…

Alkamos rings have 0.82% and 1.02% chance to drop, Soulrend being 2.5% for comparison.
Magi rings have 2.5% chance to drop.
BUT
The chance of getting a magi you want is 2/7, about 30%. So in reality it’s about 0.8% drop chance.

1 Like

There is one soulrend and a lot of rings.

Daymn, I got both purple lvl94 Alkamos rings in 12 SoT runs when I restarted last summer :slight_smile: lucky me

isn’t soulrend 5%

Screenshot_5

Check what level you set alkamos to. Offset from player level 100 he doesn’t have L74 gear on his table. Iirc he’s 113?

1 Like

@Maska322

at level > 101

at level < 101

1 Like

yeah that’s right. lol soulrend so ez to get

Well compared to Tyraels Might in Diablo 2… which I have two of :slight_smile: its like 1 in 400k chance… so keep wining about ~1% drop chances you

“LUL soulrend easy” until it rolls 13% cdr. That’s how it goes.

1 Like

I gdstash items anyway :rofl:
Not all, only MIs and relics, mandates and other stuff like that.

2 Likes

I have a lot of soulrends, two same alkamos rings and very few magi rings compared to how many of them there are. Blue ones don’t drop much either

I think people are going to have different thresholds of what is “acceptable” in terms of effort to acquire and thus a different threshold at which they’ll say “fuck it” and create the item with an external tool, so that’s not really a battle we can win.

I think it’s fair to say that decent MIs are very hard to get. I don’t think it’s fair to suggest that a double rare MI is build-defining and thus Required.

Double Rares are supposed to be potent and rare. We are not interested in trivializing their value. I think getting a reasonable Rare+Magic MI combo should be within anybody’s reach though, and that is where we are making the most significant changes to drop rates.

19 Likes

How about droprates suited to the player. During the installation you fill in a questionnaire with details such as average weekly playtime, personality, whether you’re an altoholic or not… The droprates would be modeled based on your answers.

4 Likes

Good meme :scorv:

Sounds like a good idea for a mod. Make up a couple of different drop tables across the spectrum and it it out there for use / merging into other mods.