More Performance Controls

So, I am currently 2’000 km away from home, separated from my gaming rig and returned to my OG Microsoft Surface Book laptop as my primary piece of technology, and holy shit I wish I could reduce some more of the graphics so that I could play on this machine.

Even reducing the resolution, removing shadow blending, depth of field, refresh rate, foliage, etc, there are still too many components running in this game for it to be playable on my laptop. I really wish there were more things I could turn off so that I could still experience the game, such as weather animations and bird animations.

I’m actually don’t even know which components of the game are causing it to lag so much, or to freeze, or to just give up and crash when it finally monopolized 100% of the computer’s memory. So if there were any suggestions on what else I could do so that I could play it on my computer, that would be amazing.

Below you can see the details of what I am running.

Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.81 GHz
Installed RAM	16.0 GB
System type	64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition	Windows 10 Pro
Version	21H2
OS build	19044.1889

I use this…

…to automatically flush the file and memory caches if they cross certain thresholds. To get the automatic features tho requires the Pro version which costs like 5 bucks. I found it to be worth it as it renders the memory leak issue a non-issue. If there are free ones that can be automated like this, I dunno.

Maybe one day I’ll hafta take a look at how to just program my own version up.

1 Like

This is practically the only viable tool like this. Had CleanMem for years now, never found a working alternative.

Probably not what you want to hear, but the only suggestion I have is wait. The game is so unoptimized even on enthusiast grade PCs that an i7-6600U is going to struggle bus with handling both graphics and calculations for this particular title rn.

Unless a modder somehow figures out a way to stabilize the game we can only wait for Crate to do it.

2 Likes

I was searching around for info on how to clear the memory cache etc via powershell/cmd in the hopes of maybe easily writing up an autohotkey script to perform the deed when, by chance, I wandered across this free tool, which can be configured to clear it out on a user set timer in the background.

Its Github…

Going to test it out for a while (and disable CleanMem) and see how it does in comparison but so far everything looks on par with what CleanMem’s Pro feature set does and my initial observations indicate that it is performing roughly the same.

If ya give it a go you will want to tweak its various settings to how you like.

2 Likes

Gonna try this one out, thanks for the info.

I’ve practically only ever used CleanMem manually but it will be nice to play around with the user settings on this.

1 Like

First of all this game is CPU / RAM intensive in first place. Yeah graphics are nice but most slowdowns come from CPU and colony sim games always are CPU bottlenecked.

I never use those placebo memplus/freemem/OMGDOWNLOADMOARRAM programs. They do absolutely nothing. OS memory management works fine and you don’t need to install more bloatware crap to hog your memory down.

Besides those system optimizers usually do more harm than they are useful. Best case scenario they don’t make things worse. Which is their selling point.

Incorrect. There is ONE situation where they actually do something useful. Memory leaks. Which is the entire point it was being discussed here.

Unity engine games apparently can seemingly fall “prey” easily to memory leaks and since FF hit early access there have been numerous accounts by people finding the game was swallowing way more RAM than any game should be doing - in particular, rerolling/reloading maps can cause the game to increasingly grab more and more RAM.

Having a simple program to release the memory cache from time to time can help prevent it from going overboard and slowing down or crashing your computer and/or the application/game having the issue.

I’ll end with saying that for the most part (concerning catch-all system “optimization” apps) I largely agree with your assessment that they can often do more harm than good. In this case tho these two programs are only concerned with releasing the RAM cache and, as I already noted, it’s actually helpful for stifling memory leaks before they get out-of-hand.

Post video proof of that memory app working. Show me memory leak in unity and how that program released that memory again. I don’t believe in external app being able to correct unity memory leak.

Unfortunately, after using the open source version of the ram clearing app, it does not fix the issue of how much the game is lagging. Oddest part is now whenever I need to manage professions, it takes upwards of a minute to make a single change to each profession, and that is tedious.

RAM apps like that wouldn’t necessarily “improve” performance issues like fps drops etc. I brought it up specifically in reply to your mention of extraordinary high RAM usage, which you stated would then lead to a crash.

I hope it is at least helping keep the 100% RAM leak you stated you had from further crashes as a result.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.