Morgoneth (+ MadQueen) Life Reduction slays me like a pig

So I have a pretty stronK DW Melee Blademaster. Dmg is nice, all 8 standard resists overcapped and at least +3% max resist. Almost 3k armour and ok def ability. With pots, I have a 18% dmg converted to health.

I’ve run the Tomb of the Heretic now about 15 times. I have NEVER died before Morgoneth and cleared everything except him, but Morgoneth slays me easy 70% of the time. I’m writing this shortly after a run in which I had him quickly down to like 1-2% of his health and I had full health. He did one attack and I died instantly.
Reading through his attacks at Grimtools, I realize it might be his % life reduction attack that slays me so ez. Now the question:
HOW CAN I AVOID THIS ATTACK or HOW TO IMPROVE MY % LIFE REDUCTION RESIST!

Thx. :O)

Pretty sure vitality resist applies vs life reduction. On top of this life reduction is % current health, not max. As is the pattern with most roguelike bosses I suspect Morg gets a big buff when he drops to low life.

It does.

He has it.

Activates when Health drops below 40%
60 Second Skill Recharge
40 Second Duration
45% Damage Absorption
+30% to All Damage
+33% Attack Speed
+33% Casting Speed
+33% Movement Speed
500% Sleep Resistance
500% Reduced Stun Duration
500% Reduced Knockdown Duration
500% Reduced Freeze Duration
500% Reduced Petrify Duration
500% Reduced Entrapment Duration
500% Reduced Mind Control Duration
500% Reduced Fear Duration
500% Confusion Resistance
500% Protection from Taunting
100% Slow Resistance
+20% Skill Cooldown Reduction

I always wonder why bosses that are already immune to CC get a ton more CC res when their enrage buff kicks in.

" KoalaeiOPraetorian

Sep '16

I think vitality and life reduction/life leech were only related in Titan Quest, not in Grim Dawn."

So why should there be two different resistances for % life reduction? :frowning:

Furthermore, I got 16k life, 87% vitality resist heavily overcapped, so Morgoneth’s resist reduction shouldn’t bother me…

I have tested and it works on life reduction.

He deals a quite big amount of physical damage. Getting hit with RR with low phys res against an enemy with considerable physical damage is pretty dangerous.

So I looked again. I fact, I have 89% vitality resist + overcap, 26% physical resistance and a permanent 25% dmg reduction debuff on Warcry (CD reduced). Easy.

What are you defining OK DA as?

I am running a pretty stronk DW melee Blademaster as well, I have cleared maybe 10 times the Tomb of Heretic, never died, I don’t know what can cause this issue with Morgoneth. But if you die, maybe try to avoid the attack that kills you. He has the spinning attack which seems to hurt.

2,4k def ability. I know it’s not superb :8), but he has a chance of 5% to crit me. But yeah, I’m pretty much face tanking him, sometimes I kill him ez it seems, but sometimes he just one hits me (like explained in the main post), for which I lack complete understanding.

With 2,4k I think there is a possibility that he crits you. Try not to facetnak him, there are some signs when he will do the high damage attacks. I don’t care that much because I have 2,9k DA but he drops me to low health sometimes as well.

Did you look up the 5% chance to crit in the fight or after it? Just asking because he can shred ~600DA.

Do you know lacking DA not only increases chance to crit but also % crit dmg. And his spin deals ton of dmg. And the orb projectiles fire from center, it reduces your dmg by 60-80%.

As stated above, he can inflct over 600 DA reduction. His aura reduces DA by 150 and his melee attacks by 453. If you get the mutator that increases the enemy’s OA or the one that increases their crit damage, that can greatly increase their damage because they have a much higher chance to crit and have stronger crits.

Yes I looked after the fight :slight_smile:

I mean, facetanking goes well mostly, but then in 0.25s he kills me. There is no sign to stop attacking imo. No warning!

Mutators, 5% crit is infinitely more than 0% crit, etc.

In which case it’s much, much more than a 5% chance that he crits you.

@holystar88 I don’t care for the dmg reduction on my side, that’s not a problem :slight_smile: And yes, I know it affects the crit dmg.

But I mean, even though my def ability is not so high and he shreds through it, I got a perma-25%-dmg-reduction on him… And ofc 3k armor + 26% physical resistence. 100% armor absorption. Ez.

@Ceno “Mutators, 5% crit is infinitely more than 0% crit, etc.” That is true also for 10^-100000% crit, too. Not much of a meaningful statement. :slight_smile:

So what you guys are telling me now, I basically got to increase my def ability by at least 500. I don’t really see how to do that, without either decreasing my offensive by a lot… OR having to farm very specific greens… :’(

If you post your build through Grimtools i’m sure people are willing to help you.

Otherwise, it’s probably a good idea to check the build compendium here xD

physical crits appear to hurt the most because the multiplication occurs before armor in the damage calculation.

Ex
3k armor 3k hit = 0 taken
On crit = 1.5k taken (assuming +50% on crit here)
An apparent 1k hit (4K physical) would crit for 3k

Can’t check right now which of his abilities carry physical damage but at that DA it sounds like you’re eating a shotgun of physical crits