Mortar Trap Elementalist(?), who's up for the challenge?

Going purifier as well using storm box and mortar trap. Storm box isn’t a trap skill but it is a cast and kite skill so it fits well.

So something like this? Purifier

What do you guys think of the gear/skill/devotion setup?

I need to confirm something since traps don’t have tooltips but does conversion have any effect on damage of traps?

I assume it does but just wanted to confirm it.

I also want to know that, anyone can confirm?

Conversion does indeed effect traps (or at least it effects Mortar Trap). It was the crux of a build I posted pre-expansion that used the Blood Orb.

With the fix to the Inquistor’s fire rune, in the new patch, that should bring it’s damage up a bit

I have one shoulder piece that converts 29% fire to vitality, I can check

yeap conversion works

used my lv 63 Purifier to check.
Fire rune at 16-2, with maxed Artifact Handling, and mortar trap at 16-1

Wore 29% conversion to vitality Lifeblaze shoulders

used Grim Damage to log, and captured peak damage

left to right - fire rune, with and without conversion. Mortar trap with and without.
Damage is lower post conversion because I don’t have an vitality bonus, but on my Defiler, it should be good.

For a nuke the fire rune does pretty poor damage for it’s fire rate vs mortar trap

It affects any source of fire including dot’s. why not?:slight_smile: Even special flat dmg mods believe

Someone said the dmg was going to be buffed in this patch, i dont see any difference.

Also I find the damage output combination of Mortar + Rune to be a bit lackluster at 74 level, i dont know maybe its my imagination.
I got the rune at 8/12-10/10, artifact handling 6/10 and mortar 21/16-12/12-15/12.
When i got 3 traps on the ground and a rune and some mines then yes it does some damage, but i was expecting total annihilation, i dont know…

So anyone can give us any more information on how RoK damage works now?
Is it viable or just a trash skill?

feels like more of a crowd control skill to me, like a different type of canister bomb

Yes but it feels lackluster, i dont know…

Its supposed to be an aoe skill but still seems to be doing less dmg than expected even at high ranks.

The cold rune is the one that does high damage, and it shotguns
I’ve seen it 2-3 shot minor bosses in Alkazier’s stream

Maybe if you can convert it to fire…

I have my fire rune 6 levels over soft cap, and maxed Artifact Handling and it’s only slightly better than one 16-1 mortar round

You do realize that Ultos and Viper don’t stack and are the worst type of resistance shred as they are only useful if the enemy has lots of +resists or -resists? Crown would be way better in terms of damage.

You dont actually make much sense…

-%RR from different sources stack, flat -RR does not stack.
So afaik, Ultos and Viper stack and are nice.
If you could get Crown along with these two it would be even better.

Also Ultos devotion gives a crapton of stats

Viper and Ultos both are not -% resistances but % reduced resistances and those do not stack. It will only apply Ultos since it has the higher reduce. And for my point that the type of shred is terrible: how it works is that first, every other applicable source of shred is applied and only then you get the reduce, so if the enemy has 20% after your initial reduction, Viper would reduce it to 16%, but because Ultos takes the priority it reduces the resistances to a final 15%.

The only reason you should pick up Viper is for the +3% OA, the rest of the constellation is terrible.

How am I not making sense?

No, viper and ultos RR do not stack. Viper is generally taken for the 3% oa and as a cheap way to get 3 blue / 2 red.

I am sorry, my bad.
I was confused and it was late lol.

Did you guys have any experience with RoK already?

Last time I tried it was in 1.0.2.1 and it felt very lackluster, the arming time is annoying and the damage doesn’t make up for it. Grenado or Canister Bomb are straight better for that.

Thats what i thought too…

But I need at least one other skill to accompany Mortar Trap for AoE+single target…
I started this thread with Elementalist in mind to use Wind Devils and Storm Totems, but I saw that Purifier has potential with RoK + Storm Box.

Its just that i dont know how to utilize RoK at its best…