Mouse Freezing

No problem! I actually tried the windows task manager thing before based on an AI suggestion in google search for ‘mouse freezing Grim Dawn’. Didn’t make a difference. I tried forcing GD onto a single core and mouse still froze in addition to graphics quality going into the tank. Another thing I could have done (but haven’t yet) is force GD into only the odd numbered cores (another AI suggestion).

I also learned that my computer has 2 GPUs – the Nvidia one as has been discussed and another AMD Radeon Graphics. I did some google search and apparently the 2 GPU is fairly frequent in computer set ups with one handling routine things and the other more taxing things. I went into settings and forced GD to use the Nvidia driver. Didn’t really make a difference.

I then went back to an old suggestion (and one you made) to jettisson the current driver and use an older version – this time skipping the whole safe mode crap. So I downloaded the driver version from July (5.77) of the Nvidia driver. I then used windows to uninstall the current driver, restarted the computer, installed old driver and tried again. About the same. It definitely freezes far less early in a given game session and becomes more frequent as time goes on. As an experiment I did the first 12 shards of SR. Didn’t have any freezes at all in the first 3 shards. Then a single freeze in chunk 3 of shard 4. None in 5. 2 in shard 6. 1 in shard 7. None in 8. 3 in shard 9. 4 in shard 10. None in shard 11 (!!). And 3 more in shard 12. I will go to 24 (if I can of course) later today and see what it does.

One thing I noticed is when there were a tremendous amount of enemies the game did not go into strobe slow-down graphics mode as noted on my old computer. This is part of why I got this new computer with big GPU and it didn’t disappoint. Now if only the mouse…

1 Like

Right, so then we’ve worked out the following:

  1. It’s not Grim Dawn at fault, as changing cores/priority has no effect.

  2. It’s not a driver/USB fault at this point, due to a lack of USB errors and the fact it only happens in GD.

  3. It’s not a more general Windows OS etc, nor power management based.

  4. Nor is it the mouse itself due to the same issue happening with a different mouse.

  5. Only impact on the rate of of mouse cut outs is using older Nvidia drivers.

  6. Pattern is that it increases with longer time in the game, but this is not effected by frame rate limits.

  7. Also, mouse pointer isn’t effected, just the buttons, and is temporally sorted via a keyboard button presses

Fuck me, this really is weird. Because in theory issues with the GPU/it’s drivers should not make the mouse stop working, since it should only effect pointer driven stuff. In theory. We’d need one of the devs actually to chime in, but usually in all game engines mouse buttons are linked directly to triggers in the code for skills etc and don’t interact with the UI and the graphics side of thing enough that they should be affected by GPU “fun”.

Anyhow good to see using the older driver worked pretty well and by my potato PC gamer standards I’d call that good enough :stuck_out_tongue: However, there’s some more things we can try.

Like forcing the game to run in DirectX 9 mode:

Which to do, click on GD in your steam library list, right click on it and click on properties. On the first page you’ll see a section called Launch Options which allows you to add flags like you’d also do with shortcuts. Simply add “/d3d9”, sans quotes and try running the game then for testing.

The slightly insane next test is to use a translation layer and run the game with Vulkan: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grim_Dawn#Anomalous_stutter

Why? Because it’s a known issue with the 5000 series it can have issues with older DX versions, despite Nvidia never having screwed up legacy DX and OpenGL support before. So these two see if it’s just a DX11 issue. And if using Vulkan instead helps, since Nvidia definitely didn’t screw up compatibility for that, as DOOM: The Dark Ages uses only Vulkan :wink:

Blahs, need another coffee, that half a zopiclone I had last night has wiped me out. At lest I’m not spaced out this time :upside_down_face:

Oh yeah, need to address this - that sounds awfully like the GPU is overheating. Because one of the things GD is really, really good at is stressing the ever-loving hell out of GPU’s. And unfortunately on the 2000 gen Nvidia decided pushing more power into the GPU was a good idea, so they can run rather hot.

Best thing to do would be to dust bust it and set FPS limit on GD, along with turning down shader effects. Though haven’t been able to trigger a similar issue with my 3080Ti with settings all on max despite heavy SR34-35 testing and attempts to speed run SR30-31 with my own builds. Which I suck at lawl.

Mind you, I don’t give a flaming fluff about FPS drops etc, as long as they don’t get in the way of gameplay I can handle with ease stuff that others whinge mightly about.

Case in point, I only know about the DX to Vulkan trick because the Dead Space remaster turned into stutter city on me. Despite running flawlessly on my old AMD 590+ GPU when it came out. Finally found a solution after much fruitless searching, because google is crap these days, which was to use DXVK and lo, it fucking worked. Sure, I got some stutters, but it was otherwise un-noticeable to me. And even better once I got the 3080Ti, to the point you have to be uber autistic to notice them. Which I found out when I post a vid and promptly got whinged at lawl.

Lastly, word of advice, never trust any AI/LLM claims, because those systems are only based on the possibility of words coming after a word/set of words, not on context. Which is how they can fuck up 1+1=2 or tell you to put glue on pizza or in the case of Grok, spew total utter [redacted due to "no politics rule]. At least when Elon’s poisoned the training data and weightings, doesn’t last however.

Though I will say neural nets can do some useful things, but they’re going to remain limited until that field embraces the fact that neurons can do more than 1 function in brains, never mind the processing that occurs in axon branches. Aka biology already did the work on brains, just copy it already :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay - here is my list of observations as of now:

  1. I went back to the newer driver because the old driver version from July initially had good results but when I went back to SR to get to shard 30 I was having 10 freezes per shard (2 to 3 per chunk) for the last 4 shards – unacceptable. So I reverted back to current (rendering your statement 5 above possibly dubious). I did a single 30-31 farming run without a single freeze but I am paranoid about the freezing now for sure.
  2. I farmed the entire Lokarr set (took 19 runs which I believe is a record for me - average should be 9 runs but I guess I got lucky). Probably 2 mouse button freezes per run on average. Of course it was interesting when the freeze would happen fighting Lokarr himself…
  3. As noted before when the button freeze occurs the pointer shape will typically change to the target shape. Like you said a keyboard press sometimes frees it up. Sometimes. But what will always free it up is going to the character screen and then esc back out. I don’t know if that is technically going to another menu or similar but it is enough more than just a ‘keyboard’ press to kick the game back into recognizing mouse buttons.
  4. Tried with d3d9 - started great but quickly deteriorated. Doing SR 30 31 as that seems a good test. Apparently the computer gets taxed with this particular activity. As time goes on in the run the freezing gets worse and worse so there must be a correlation there.
  5. When I got rid of d3d9 it was still bad. Had to cancel out in the middle of shard 30 chunk 2. Some more observations – sometimes when it freezes and I continually press LMB the cursor shape changes from pointer to target to pointer to target etc – sometimes (character of course doesn’t move with these button presses). Other times it does nothing. Character doesn’t move and RMB doesn’t do anything. Zoom wheel works for zooming as does the pointer for pointing (and highlighting monsters). So it appears just the buttons and anything they impact is affected. I even tried rotating the screen by pushing scroll wheel - which I never do - while buttons were frozen. Worked like a charm. So this is definitely a RMB LMB only issue.
  6. I took a look at this Vulkan thing and I am hesitant to try it. Doesn’t seem real intuitive.
  7. Another quick observation - I noticed today that sometimes the buttons freeze when I am stationary - they will just all of a sudden not work. Other times I can tell it is about to freeze (or more accurately has already frozen) because the character will continue in a straight line even though I stopped depressing the mouse indicating a desire to stop or change directions. Character will keep going straight until it runs into something or just stops eventually. I don’t know if this is helpful information but it almost acts as though the button is being held down even though it is not being pushed at all.

So I assume I am at a GPU/driver issue? It might be merely psychological but when I reinstall drivers or reset drivers there seems to be positive results but that might just be because I have gotten out of the game to do that activity which allows things to cool down — who knows?

I guess I will attempt to live with it and hope that any new driver updates from Nvidia will magically fix the issue. I was all excited to get this new computer and it has turned out to be quite the bummer. I probably should have asked the community here about the best kind of computer to get for GD before spending the money. My brilliant mind thought that the better GPU and better processor would be better.

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions – really appreciate it.

1 Like

Further to the above – lots of testing today with SR 30-31

  1. Went to March version of Nvidia driver. Same freezing.
  2. Went to most current version of Nvidia game ready driver. Same freezing
  3. Went to most current version of Nvidia studio driver. Same freezing
  4. In all cases I do a driver reset (win-ctrl-shift-B) before launching GD
  5. Finally in a fit of desperation I set GD in windows to use the other GPU (AMD Radeon Graphics) exclusively. Still had button freezing! I know it was using the other GPU because the graphics were horrible and completely unsmooth, hesitating, pixelating, etc.

So given results from #5 am I barking up the wrong tree with all of this GPU driver business? Does this mean that the GPU is not a factor in this issue? Seems I get same results regardless of GPU used if windows is to be trusted. And if it is not graphics/driver related then what is it?

I am almost to the point of attempting GD with a controller anyway just to see if it will work that way. Will be real funny (tragic really) if the game starts ignoring SOME of the input from the controller like it is doing on the mouse. Barring that, I need to get this figured out or I will risk dissolution of my marriage by getting another (cheaper) computer just to be able to run GD without issues. Since I have had this new PC for 3 weeks now I don’t believe Corsair will take it back as a return…

1 Like

???

What the?..

Well, congrats, you managed to find a way a didn’t think off to test this out on the GPU front. Should have mentioned trying the AMD iGPU to more easily test that out. So a good job you did there :slight_smile:

But getting confident enough to try that stuff is what I aim for when I go to help people.

And yeah, this changes things considerably, because given you’ve also tried a different mouse, only to have the same thing happen, this now all points towards the I/O realm of problems. But it’s a weird, weird one since usually USB issues like this would crop up in the windows log with error messages.

Anyhow, more info is now needed:

  1. What are your complete, full system specs? i.e. motherboard, RAM, etc, etc. And is the PC a pre-made one from Corsair etc or did you just get the shop to put it together?

  2. What other software do you have installed, like iCue or similar control software?

  3. Please list all the USB devices you have installed.

  4. And more importantly, how hot does the PC get, via AMD Ryzen™ Master Utility for Overclocking Control or a similar program like https://www.hwinfo.com/ I need both motherboard and CPU temps ideally.

  5. Oh and what’s your case model/make, and more importantly are all the fans working and pushing the same amount of air?

Aim here is to get a better picture of your set up and then we’ll probably move on to USB reset via uninstalling all devices via device manager and uninstall Corsair’s iCue etc. As Windows will just redo them when you replug them back in. For blessed art modern plug n play ISO Standards. Ramen.

However, if there is a temperature issue, then we’ll deal with that. Hopefully it’s just a case of altering fan curves and maybe adding a fan. Or leaving the side of the case open as a simple test :stuck_out_tongue: Because sometimes cases aren’t good enough for air flow and sometimes fans might not work properly and you can test that easily with most cases.

Worst case scenario it’s a weird motherboard issue and it needs to be RMA’d. But it’s very typical for Grim Dawn to bring out the odd issues it seems. This is definitely the weirdest PC issue I’ve ever seen though.

And you’ve done a good job helping to work it out :slight_smile: Thanks for doing so, it makes this job a lot more nice.

Also, if you’re going to get another PC, just get 2nd hand parts and build it yourself. Aside from storage drives and the PSU of course. For one it’ll work out a bit cheaper and more importantly you get to learn how to build one. Don’t need much to run GD either, it ran like a greased whippet on my AMD 590 GPU and 580’s etc are now pretty cheap, or even a more later card. Likewise there should be some Ryzen 5800X3D’s now available 2nd hand, though AMD also released a 5600X3D and 2nd AM4 boards should be easily available and more importantly cheap.

Plus there’s a wealth of good how-to guides on it and no 12V GPU power cable bs to deal with either. Besides, if you can troubleshoot like you’ve done here, you can definitely handle putting a PC together :stuck_out_tongue:

Right, I need breakfast/lunch already, had super bad insomnia and was awake until 6am NZ time. Right on daylight savings lawl. And being autistic, I just had to deal with this first.

Hello - what exactly am I looking for in windows event log? I might have been hasty before saying nothing is there because I am not at all familiar with that but I dug into it a little deeper and I see a bunch of stuff: in the ‘system’ tab under windows logs I see a whole lot of items (6718 to be exact). Some examples show TPM stuff. Screen shots attached.


Maybe this is the issue or along the right track? Not a clue. A lot of logs in the windows logs under application too. Example:

As far as the PC - it was ordered from Corsair - a Vengeance PC. Here is screen prints of computer details:



All fans are working - 1 in the back, 2 on the top, 3 along the right side. 3 fans under GPU.
USB devices: Mouse, keyboard, sound, mouse pad rgb. No icue or any software like that.
Perhaps something can be gotten from these logs above after all. I really hope so and THANKS again for patience and expertise.

1 Like

Hmmn, lot of windows error logs there of low level stuff, main one you want to look for are the yellow and red ones, especially in System, since that’s were any USB errors will be logged. Windows though produces a lot of minor errors, as my own logs show :upside_down_face: But yeah, should have asked for this earlier and will dig into the posted ones tomorrow after I’ve had some bloody coffee.

And a full night’s sleep on top. For I art rather tired.

Oh and ideally you’d be able to use the time stamps on the logs to match when you were playing GD too. Since that info is probably going to be the most useful.

Anyhow, there’s another thing you can do in the meanwhile, namely run a system file check once you get the chance. Google should actually tell you how to do it and you don’t need to run it in safe mode. Shouldn’t take too long on a M.2 SSD either.

As for why you couldn’t get into safe mode, since this is a pre-made PC, I’m guessing it was deliberately set up like that to ensure users could fuck their computer up. Because in safe mode you can do some really stupid things with CMD commands due to elevated privileges. Useful for fixing windows, but only if you know wtf you’re doing.

However, that can be solved simply by reinstalling windows :3 Which may end up an option, and it’s bizarre how often reinstalling windows fixes things lawl. Because sometimes windows installs screw up in the weirdest ways, but thanks to MS making the OS super robust it wont break it in ways that are noticeable right away…

Hopefully it’s just a USB issue that can be fixed by uninstalling all USB devices and reinstalling them.

And now worries, I love trying to solve PC problems, especially with people like you. Not always to my own benefit, since hyperfocus can lead to sleepless nights trying to fix stuff lawl. It’s also a hell of a lot more tractable than other problems I face etc. z

Right, back to getting my arse handed to me in Long War, for I art a save scummer still in it.

Did the system file check thing. It of course ran into corrupt files that couldn’t be repaired. I then ran the DISM command file ‘DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’. That took a while but it completed successfully. I ran the system file check again and this time it stated that it repaired things. Restart computer. Then run SR 30 and 31. Encountered freezes. Smacking ‘I’ twice in quick succession on the keyboard will make game recognize mouse buttons again (I have ‘I’ mapped as a secondary key for character menu).

Here are some yellow event logs from the time I was doing the GD thing:



One thing of note with these yellow warnings is that there were several freezes that occurred in the game after the last of the yellow warnings shown. 9:43AM, 9:44AM – for sure there were freezes at those times. 3 of the ones shown are related to Windows.SecurityCenter - SecurityAppBroker, WscDataProtection, and WscBrokerManager. The other one from 9:40AM is different - here is the text capture:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user VENGEANCE\bdher SID (S-1-5-21-1823728380-710699594-3704484913-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container MicrosoftWindows.Client.WebExperience_525.24401.50.0_x64__cw5n1h2txyewy SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

This sounds kind of interesting to someone who doesn’t have a clue.

I will look into reinstalliing Win 11. Maybe that is the golden ticket here. I am having another nagging problem with this new computer where it won’t recognize my phone when I connect it. Spent a few hours on the phone with Apple support about the issue and completely stumped them. Maybe a reinstall of Win11 will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I sincerely hope so…

Update: I did reinstall Windows 11. Still freezing. And my phone still doesn’t connect. Was really hoping that going through the reinstall process of Win 11 would kick things free. Looks like I will be dealing with Corsair support unless I am missing something.

Update 2: Spoke with Corsair about this issue and they recommend replacing the PC. Said it sounds like a motherboard issue. Started the process.

1 Like

:+1:

Damn, you bet to me to it :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, you did exactly what I’d do in the same situation, namely try and fix things, see if it worked, reinstall windows if it didn’t and if that didn’t work hit the button marked “RMA”. Good to see Corsair did the right thing and are going for a motherboard replacement too. As being a Gamer’s Nexus fan I’ve seen companies pull utter bullshit on RMA returns. Guess this means I can trust Corsair more now too.

So after all of this, I think it’s safe to say there’s a deep seated USB issue that windows can’t address, and that’s down to the motherboard’s USB chips and how that ties into system I/O. It would be interesting though to see if using a USB PCI-e board solved it, but Corsair will likely try that when they get the PC in their hands. Since that’s a rather obvious trouble shooting step.

Come to think of it, I should have bloody remembered they exist as soon as it looked like a USB issue. Derp. Not exactly cheap, but easy to get a hold off for testing. Need to remember that for next time. Because things can and will absolutely go wrong with PC’s :upside_down_face:

Anyhow, you did a bloody good job and this is exactly the sort of self-sufficiency I like to help people develop when I try and help them :3 So congrats, you just earn your 1st step into trouble shooting PC horrors. Unfortunately there’s no prize bar self-satisfaction and the risk of becoming tech support for family and friends lawl.

Though you can get free pizza and beer, just remember to get the good stuff, like similar to Hell Pizza :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the error messages, I suspect drilling into them via google they’d not provide as much as I’d like, but the fact they’re occurring when the freezes are and the nature of them, I have a hypothesis that these are pointing to OS access to the USB I/O loosing permissions access. Which shouldn’t happen, since the OS is meant to have full Ring 0 rights to that in particular (from memory).

Add in the phone not being able to connect and something weird is going on with the USB hardware.

So hopefully the RMA goes quick, this though is why I prefer building my own, because then I only need to send in the component that’s stuffed. But hey, you know have some knowledge you can apply to the old PC that might help with the strobe effect. I suggest a 60fps limit, turning down lighting and shaders. Could also try DX9 mode or even Vulkan, because it might just be the DX side of things on that card that are partly broken. As Vulkan’s as easy as just copying the relevant files into the game’s installation folder :wink:

Yeah. Have to completely clear this computer. They are sending me identical replacement so when I actually see it (in 2 weeks because this one has to get to them before they send replacement) the only thing I will do is turn it on, copy GD save and settings from memory stick into proper folder, download Steam, install GD, go into SR 30. Any mouse freeze and money back. This is my use case. If everything works okay in GD then I’ll bring my other data in. Thanks for all of your help and very sorry for the anti climactic resolution of this. There shouldn’t be this much fiddling and adjustment and angst on a brand new computer obviously.

1 Like

You’d think so, but unfortunately computers are stupidly complex, so things can and will go wrong that wont be detected until the right program is used that can expose it or it randomly rears it’s head. But even an outcome like this is actually worthwhile, because it teaches us all about the issue and how to resolve it. At least if an warranty is involved with hardware issues :stuck_out_tongue:

And more importantly, for someone like you, it helps boost your self-confidence to do and try stuff yourself when PC things go wrong. Which can definitely help avoid further problems or having to deal with the sort of paid support all of us who do this stuff give the side-eye to.

Well… I got a brand new computer shipped to me from Corsair. Same exact configuration. AMD, etc.

  1. Connected items to computer - ethernet, mouse, keyboard, sound, monitor.
  2. Powered computer on
  3. Allowed windows 11 to update
  4. Signed into MS account
  5. Downloaded Chrome
  6. Downloaded Steam
  7. Downloaded/installed GD
  8. Brought save file and settings in from USB device with lvl 100 character
  9. Launch GD and go to SR 30.
  10. Chunk 1 and chunk 2 - perfect. Chunk 3 – mouse started freezing. Went ahead and finished shard 31 regardless of the freezes.
  11. Ran around in town after SR and mouse would pretty consistently freeze after doing movement skill. Like before it was okay doing spacebar evade but the other movement skill (Glyph of Disorder) - mapped to 5 - would freeze the mouse. So pretty consistent with the last computer.

So it got packed up and shipped back to them. Quite disappointed TBH. And in the market for a new computer. For about half the price Alienware looks to have a decent computer with Nvidia 5070 (or similar) on an Intel processor. This experience with the AMD has put the scare into me because my old computer is Intel and it never ever ever had this problem.

What the flaming infinite hells?

That’s not normal, you really shouldn’t get two motherboards in a row showing the same USB fault. Maybe it is a driver issue, but with the USB drivers? Either way, sounds like a bad batch got brought and used to build those computers :confused:

Anyhow, do not under any circumstances ever buy anything from Alienware that isn’t a laptop. They always fuck up cooling on the desktop systems, per Gamers Nexus’ testing of them the last 5+ years. Which in turn results in thermal throttling of the usually Intel CPU’s, because those run extremely hot these days.

Best bet actually is a) build it yourself or b) ask Reddit about pre-built alternatives to Alienware/Corsair. Also, AMD’s X3D type CPU’s are the utter best in gaming at the moment and are not the issue, rather it’s dodgy USB hardware/drivers/Cthulhu-knows-what. Were as Intel’s current generation have quality control issues and last year were failing left and right after mild use.

As for building it yourself - it’s actually pretty easy, hard part is, as always, plugging in the bloody CPU power cable if you forgot to plug in before putting in the motherboard or don’t have a modular PSU. I recommend Corsair’s side mounted modular PSU for helping with this, because plugging in the various cables becomes easy. 2000W, Gold or better is what you’re wanting, with a 12V power connector.

As for motherboards, Gigabyte are your best bet price/performance wise, and MSI is the best performance wise. ASUS and ASRock are to be avoided, because they’ve fucked up this generation of AMD boards, plus ASUS have been complete dickheads over warranties.

Cooling wise, a tower fan, namely a Noctua one will do best, as it will last a decade+ before you have to replace the fans. AIO’s may seem good, but they have a 5 year life span at most and can potentially leak.

Case wise, that’s entirely down to you, I currently go for Fractal Design’s R series, but then I like having a 5.25 bay for an optical drive and enough space for 9 HDD’s at present. 10 if I hack a bit off the GPU shroud and get a flexible extension for the bloody oversized USB3.0 top panel cable. Corsair also make good, solid cases, and Be Quiet! are also good and more importantly great at making a quiet PC :3 Just annoyingly expensive here in NZ lawl. Otherwise, you get what you pay for with cases.

Everything else is pretty simple, aside from memory, which you want the fastest speed and tightest timings. But you’ll pay through the arse for the high end stuff, and frankly mid range on timings/speed works fine and the difference it makes is less than picking the right motherboard.

One note on HDD’s, for the love of data hoarding, just get a 2nd hand Pro/WD Black or a similar server HDD. Everything else is SMR these days and gets progressively slower and slower once it hits 80% full. They also fail a lot more often than the old PMR drives :frowning: Main issue is noise, or in the case of some ex-server drives, ISO standard breaking bs with the power rail unused by every other HDD ever. Which we have Toshiba to blame for. Seagate HDD’s however don’t use this feature so are far more idiot proof.

As for SSD’s, as big capacity wise M.2 drives as you can get that are at least PCI-e 4.0 and you’ll be right. PCI-e 5.0’s just aren’t worth the price and are pretty much only needed if you do a lot of 4K video editing etc. While cost per TB 4.0 ones are really, really good and provide more than good enough performance.

GPU wise, just get a 4000 series one, as the next step vis 5000 series cards is less than 5% in terms of raw performance/RT. So they’re not worth the price tag and worse yet, the fake frames are still not ready for prime time. Much like DLSS was a shitshow when it first released sadly.

And of course, use an anti-static wrist band, it’s not strictly speaking needed (I for one have never used one lawl), but it does reduce significantly fun with static electricity that can wreck components. I just touch metal/etc before working on mine :stuck_out_tongue: But then I have a solid as 1970’s steel framed office desk that’s built like a tank.

This. We’ve got a few at work, they’re absolutely terrible. They all run way too hot.
Regardless of the price, it’s just badly build.

To a lesser extent HP ‘gaming’ pc are similarly badly configured, though the cooling is actually adequate.

Can’t help with the mouse issue sadly. Other than suggesting to try another mouse, if this one is on bluetooth try one that isn’t, etc. To pinpoint what the failure point is. (Sorry didn’t read everything in this thread, so not sure what you’ve tried already.)

1 Like

Sadly at this point, it’s very likely there’s an issue with the USB hardware on the motherboard, since changing mice didn’t work. It also weirdly didn’t show up in windows event logs, which it bloody well should. Suggesting something deeply rooted that’s beyond the OS’s ability to detect.

Which is why I consider this the most esoteric hardware issue I’ve seen in 25yrs of messing around with PC’s. That I can remember or dealt with first hand that is :stuck_out_tongue: Being 40 + years of crap sleep mean my memory isn’t what it used to be lawl.

Though it’s not entirely surprising GD revealed this, because for some reason (I suspect DLL injection, but that’s a sketchy hypothesis) this game is excellent at stress testing PC set ups and bring to light any issues with them. Case in point, it was how I worked out my old AMD 270 4GB had a stability issue with it’s factory overclock.

Changing mice didn’t work.
Changing USB ports didn’t work.
Running admin mode didn’t work.
Running X86 mode didn’t work.
Reinstalling game didn’t work.
Wiping mouse driver and reinstalling didn’t work.
Changing USB port didn’t work.
Fiddling with options.txt with number of cores didn’t work.
GPU driver changes didn’t work.
Running with on board AMD GPU (with the horrible pixelation) didn’t work – mouse still froze.
Reinstalling Windows didn’t work.
Brand new equally configured computer didn’t work. Leads me to believe there is some sort of intrinsic motherboard issue with that particular kind of motherboard - MSI Model PRO X870 (???).

I am absolutely flummoxed.

1 Like

Weird, did you try updating the bios and chipset firmware? Sometimes that can fix weird issues.

If it’s not some hardware failure, it has to be some firmware issue surely… :thinking:

Didn’t try that one. After reinstalling Windows and having it fail again I did RMA with the vendor. They sent me a replacement after they received the original. The replacement exhibited the same behavior so it got returned yesterday just as soon as I verified that it too didn’t work. At this point I will get my money back and get a different computer and try try again.

2 Likes

Well… Just received brand new computer - Intel, Nvidia 5080 this time. Mouse is still freezing (!!!). So, is this some sort of game setting that I have messed up? Here is entirety of options.txt file…
quickBuy = true
lockItemPickup = true
mapZoom = 40
importedCharacters = false
lockMapRotation = false
cameraShake = false
gore = true
questwidgetopen = true
corpsePersistence = 0
blood = 1
reportStats = 2
targetLock = false
inactiveUpdateRate = 0
cloudSaving = false
gamepadSupport = true
breakingMoveTo = true
classicCasting = false
gamepadTargetLock = true
autoLootRadius = 1
critFeedback = true
dayNightCycle = false
toggledAurasSelf = true
toggledAurasOther = true
toggledWeaponEffects = true
detailItemTooltips = true
showMonsterLevelOnRollover = true
displayDamage = true
critMultipliers = false
targetOutline = true
tutorialTips = false
errorMessages = true
autoItemTooltips = false
extraRollovers = true
sortConfirmBypass = false
hotbarCooldownCounter = true
showTime = true
mainMenu = 0
screenEffects = true
newItemHighlight = false
monsterBars = true
playerBars = true
playerLocalBar = false
petBars = true
playerHealth = true
playerBarsLarge = false
monsterHealth = true
monsterIcons = true
monsterBarsUndamaged = false
monsterBarsLarge = false
bossBarsLarge = false
healthBarsPercent = false
monsterBarsDebuffs = false
textureQuality = high
shadowQuality = ultra
shadows = true
weatherQuality = very high
weatherEnabled = true
depthOfField = true
softParticles = true
reflectionQuality = ultra
detailLevel = ultra
resolution = 2560 1440
refreshRate = 144 1
windowPosition = 0 0
antiAliasing = 1
anisotropicFiltering = 16
screenMode = 0
syncToRefresh = false
tripleBuffer = true
detailObjects = true
advancedEffects = true
brightness = 0.5
contrast = 0.5
gamma = 0.5
fxQuality = very high
lightingQuality = very high
uiScale = 0.5
device = 0
colorblind = 0
alphatocoverage = true
ambientocclusion = true
deferredrendering = true
fxaa = true
fog = false
masterVolume = 0.371728
musicVolume = 0.371728
effectsVolume = 0.371728
ambientVolume = 0.376963
dialogVolume = 0.382199
rockOn = false
speakerType = 1
soundDevice = 0
errorSpeech = false
captureDevice = 0
micLoopback = false
voiceVolume = 0.387435
voicechatEnabled = false
voicechatPushToTalk = false
networkAdapter = “”
networkMTU = 1400
UPnPEnable = true
language = “English”
datapath = “”
forceSingleProcessorMode = false
maxResourceThreads = 1
skipCompatibilityChecks = false
useArchives = true
setupComplete = false
v1200FirstRun = true

Please – someone who is familiar with this stuff let me know if there is something simple/stupid here that I am doing. In the meantime, I will go through other things in this list above (again) to see if it can be mitigated. Because obviously I am not returning this computer. Been there done that and am tired tired tired of if.

In theory, nothing in GD’s settings file should trigger this. Maybe try changing “gamepadSupport = true” to “gamepadSupport = false” instead?

And if that doesn’t work, guess it’s time to re-try using a different mouse again, just to rule that out.

I’m also, once again, wishing the game had logging systems that were user accessible because that would provide some potentially useful into into just wtf is going on. Because that way we can see if the game is sending commands and the PC isn’t recognising them.