Mouse Freezing

Well… I adjusted the particular setting in game (something about gamepad target lock) and changed to an el-cheapo mouse and I got zero freezes shard 30-31 in SR. I changed back to Razer mouse and tried again – and got freezes in shard 30. I switched to el-cheapo mouse for shard 31 – and got freezes. Then I specifically went to options.txt in Notepad and changed gamepadSupport to ‘false’. That seems to have done the trick - at least the couple of times I ran SR 30-31 since I did that. Both mice.

So perhaps I was hasty returning the Corsair PC – but I DID get my money back and that company was absolutely excellent to work with. I kind of feel bad about the outcome but the PC I have now was cheaper so there is that. Also I am able to connect my phone to this new PC where the thing wouldn’t connect to the Corsair one for some reason. I spent hours on the phone with Apple support on that issue and completely stumped them (and myself) with that other PC.

What is the setting in game exactly that disables gamepadSupport thing? I looked at my old PC that never had this problem and that setting is indeed at ‘false’. Ironically the setting for gamepad target lock is set to ‘true’ on my old PC – never caused a problem.

1 Like

Fuck knows, I’d love to have your PC’s in front of me to mess around with and test things out, but alas, that’s not possible.

Anyhow, weird it worked, but sometimes that’s PC’s for you and one weird trick can fix things. I suspect though that the Corsair’s had an issue with the motherboard, otherwise your phone would have been able to connect to them. Not entirely statistically impossible either you’d get two bad ones in a row, but modern QC isn’t what it used to be.

And no surprise Apple was stumped either, as like I’ve said, USB errors are meant to show up in windows logs, and the tech for it is meant to be fairly robust. Which is why Apple grudgingly went with USB C for it’s phones after the EU told them off.

As for the in game menu toggle, there is none from memory, it’s only in the settings txt file along with some other controller based stuff. Only keybindings are in the settings menu from memory. Praise be unto engines that allow you to do that, because hex editing is a pain in the arse.

Oh, btw, just upgraded myself to a 5800X3D yesterday :3 But ran into fun with the BIOS forcing secure boot on me and windows boot manager throwing a wobbly over adding a new hard drive at the same time. Nothing the windows install USB drive’s repair function couldn’t fix + using CMD on it to rebuild the master boot record and fix it just to be sure. Now I’m set for another 5+ years on the CPU/motherboard side :stuck_out_tongue:

And fingers crossed your Intel CPU is from the later batch where they fixed the contamination issues that lead to the current gen failing prematurely. I would have stayed AMD X3D myself, but if it works for you, that’s what matters in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well – I had freezing again (buttons, not pointer) with the gamepad settings at false. Both mice. It is sporadic with it sometimes barely happening at all and other times it happens very very frequently. I can tell it is about to freeze (or has already frozen) because the character will continue moving forward after left mouse button is released. That is indicative of game starting to not accept left or right mouse buttons input. Cursor still works and scroll wheel rotate still works. Going to character menu and esc back out will kick it loose such that game recognizes left and right buttons again - until the next time it decides to ignore them. Many times when the input from buttons freezes the game will change the cursor shape to the crosshair targeting version. When I see that I know that I have to go to character screen and esc twice to get back to normal (one esc to get rid of crosshair shape and another esc to get out of menu).

So… I know that

  1. It is not a GPU issue because got same behavior on 2 computers ago with the horrible pixelated on board GPU. Plus changed GPU drivers left right and up the middle.
  2. It cannot possibly be a motherboard issue because 3 different computers
  3. It is not a mouse issue because 3 different mice exhibit identical behavior including the mouse on my ‘old’ computer that never had this problem.
  4. It is not a usb issue because 3 different computers…

There are probably other things I can add to this list but I am tired at this point. I would really like to get this thing to work consistently. My thought is that it is a Win 11 specific issue - but I am even skeptical here because if that were the case more people than just me would be complaining. Same with it being a specific GD issue – lots of people would be complaining correct?

Even the behavior isn’t consistent when I notice the button freeze is about to occur. As mentioned above sometimes the character will continue in motion when LMB is released. A lot of time if I use the movement skill when I press the LMB to start moving from there the character will not move. The cursor shape is still the default pointer. And sometimes the LMB will be held down and the character will just stop altogether - in this case if/when I click LMB the only thing I might see is the cursor shape changes to targeting crosshair. Other times I won’t even realize the button freeze has occurred until I see that the character stopped moving - almost always in this circumstance the cursor shape has changed to crosshair.

So — have I been playing this game wrong the past 5 years?? My old Win 10 computer I would move by constantly holding LMB down while moving the cursor in the direction I want to go. Releasing the LMB would cause character to stop right there. For the most part it works that way here on Win 11 computer(s) too ---- except when the buttons decide to freeze and computer ceases accepting input from them (LMB and RMB).

My next step is to try another game I guess. Nothing really appeals (LE or POE). So maybe I’ll try this new TQ2 – looks extremely similar to GD.

Good to know actually. Was it the US branch? Or somewhere else in the world?

Maybe a dumb idea: try with other games but also with TQ1. If it only happens with TQ1 and Grim Dawn, then it’s an engine issue. If it happens on other games, you need an exorcism.

1 Like

It was the US branch - Duluth, Georgia.

Exorcism sounds good. If not me then my computer room, electrical wires, ambient air, or similar. Actually I am going to try with a different keyboard because the keyboard was the same in all previous circumstances and it is the only thing I can think of (besides GD engine) that has remained consistent. I just can’t figure how on earth a keyboard could cause mouse signals to get f’ed up.

SOLVED!!! (I think). Turns out that it seems to have been the keyboard all along. It was the only constant (other than GD) for these issues. It never occurred to me to even think of the keyboard causing issues with MOUSE input. I have been playing GD all day today (several SR 30-31 runs and very numerous totem farming sessions) with a different (cheaper!) keyboard. Never had a freeze at all. And I was trying to get mouse buttons to freeze by doing those things that I knew caused the issue in the past – using movement ability in town, using movement ability in general, running then evade then movement ability. Never an issue.

So I did an experiment. I kept the cheapy keyboard attached and attached the expensive (problem) keyboard at the same time to one of the front USB ports. Using expensive keyboard I played through my totem farming routine and had a single freeze. Kind of disappointed that it wasn’t more. So I reset the game and did it all again with expensive keyboard. On my last totem I started experiencing freezing. I switched to other keyboard and it was perfectly fine. Movement ability etc. all worked okay. Went back to expensive keyboard and had button freeze city nearly every time I used movement ability. It even froze the buttons when I used Blood of Dreeg. Back to cheapy keyboard and doing all of the same things never caused mouse button freeze.

So I think this thing is actually solved. A very horrible experience considering 3 computers ordered and 2 returned and this fairly long thread. I will chalk it up as a cautionary tale about the classic ‘tickle something somewhere and it laughs somewhere else’. Never dreamt that a keyboard would cause a mouse issue to manifest. The only logical thing I can think of is that the keyboard is sending some sort of overwhelming signal to GD engine which causes it to get amnesia.

Hopefully there is better more technical explanation… But it definitely seems like a good idea to check the keyboard if mouse issues are being experienced.

3 Likes

It’s not entirely surprising, since some keyboards use a virtual mouse to allow for music controls etc. If something’s gone wrong with how that’s set up, then that’s a possible source of conflicts. Never mind any potential USB fuckery.

Which is why I brought new keyboard myself for testing. That ultimately ended in me working out it was all down to me accidentality pressing the left Ctrl button with my wrist lawl. This leads me to also facepalming because I should have suggested it myself to try a different keyboard :upside_down_face:

But that’s living with regular sleep deprivation and severe ADHD for you. And a reminder to test everything, especially when it comes to USB related issues.

Makes me wonder too if the keyboard was the problem from the start, since this could still be an IRQ assignment issue, just a very weird one since windows didn’t pick it up. And such issues are known to screw with attaching devices via USB, like say a smart phone. But differences in how the motherboard handle this stuff may be why the new Intel PC was able to connect to the iPhone.

Hmmmn, wonder if Corsair were able to replicate it on their end? Also, might be an idea to let them know, especially if the keyboard is a Corsair one, but either way it’ll help them with future tech support and testing.

Thanks for all!! I seriously doubt that Corsair even tried anything. I spoke with their technical support early on and they suggested changing driver for GPU. After the second call to them they were all about ‘it sounds like a motherboard issue’. They also wanted to make sure GD is not an ‘old’ game. I stressed that GD is a currently supported game with a new DLC coming out and several bug fixes/enhancements each year. Then no more questions from them – just ‘send it back and we’ll send a replacement’. Of course the second computer with identical specs behaved identical so they just gave money back.

Keyboard HAD to be the problem from the start – it is the only variable that was isolated. Different computers, GPUs, Mice, CPUs, motherboards, etc. The only constant was GD and the keyboard. And we know that GD is beyond reproach. So it had to be the keyboard or - like was mentioned above - an exorcism was needed. Just fascinating that it never occurred to me until now to try swapping out keyboards. No suggestions that I could find of that kind of thing on the internet. All about mouse drivers, USB ports, playing in windows mode, playing as admin, and the like.

2 Likes

waddahell lol

ggs on finding the issue! At this point you better share your builds on the forum as well =)

It’s a good cautionary tale as well: when something is effin up with a USB thing, check all the USB, even the most random ones.

I have been following this thread the whole time, hoping there would be a solution lol. Glad you found it and I learned something too.