Movement and allocation of resources?

Been observing to try and work it out myself but have given up and hope someone who reads the code or has already worked it out can enlighten me!
Say, for example, I have sand on the far left side of the map and coal on the right, and want my Glassmakers to make glass without having to walk for miles each time they want either resouce, what is the way you’re “supposed to” organise yourself?
Are the Glassblowers supposed to walk and collect the resources, or the wagons, or labourers, or all of the above?

Wagons will collect stuff from mines, pits and work camps and deliver it to your storage facilities.

Cheers - so the key is to have plenty of Wagons (as they crawl along slowly) near the mines?

I build them next to the main stockyard in town

there is no good(best) way to handle this. Wagons will pickup from the mines and bring
ore back to the closest stockyard. That may or not be the one you want. The problem is
the mine workers and laborers if local mine storage is full (and it will be all the time
since wagons are too slow) will grab ore and walk it all the way back. They will starve
and get hit by raider and animals attacks etc…

If you make a stockyard next to the mines that will help with that but then the
wagons become worthless as they will get ore and drop it 50 feet away. then head
back to town empty handed.

So now comes the hackish way. Forget about wagons. Build that stockyard
next to the mines. when it is full re locate the stockyard back to main town
and all the ore will move with it in one big jump. Of course before you re locate
the full stockyard make sure you move/build an empty stockyard next to the mines.

until the wagon mechanics are improved the hackish way is the IMHO
the way to go but it feels like cheating and it is a pain to micro mange
and not just let the wagons go full auto.

You could always build a mini mining town but ummmmm well
you will find when you do it lol

The additions I can make to this that make it a little better - but still far from perfect - are two things:

1. Manage the stockyards. If you delete an Ore from every Stockyard except one, you can ‘direct’ the carts to that stockyard. Make it the stockyard nearest to the buildings using the ores and you can make the whole production train a little more efficient.
    BUT if you run out of room and try to set up another set of production buildings with a new Stockyard, there seems to be no way to direct ore between the two stockyards: one of them will wind up empty most of the time and the production buildings it serves will suffer enormous inefficiencies (like, 50+% travel time as the workers run back and forth to the other stockyard)
  2. Have more carts. As mines, workcamps and such get further way from the town and the storage facilities, assume you will need 2 or more wagons per source to keep things moving and avoid miners running all the way back to town with 1 item of ore because the mine storage got filled up. At times I have had up to 18 carts (9 Wainwrights’ worth) serving 4 work camps and 5 mines/sand or clay pits. Again, it’s not perfect because you cannot ‘assign’ carts to a given mine or source, but it’s far, far better than having too few carts, which guarantees problems with miners being diverted to hand carrying ore and empty stockyards back in town.

Thanks Groovy, have tried a few of those things before but there’s a couple more to try out. Used to use the mini village concept on the Forest Village game but didnt see it working with this one as it is at the moment. May give that one a miss!

Thanks Boris.
I already manage the resources in stockyards etc. and use Temp shelters near t the mines but the travel time as just so poor I wasnt sure it was working that well! I’ll throw some more Wagons at it and see how it goes.
I also move the production buildings and storage yards around when a mine runs out, sad person that I am!

Very much looking forward to the Infinite Mines and Quarries they’ve promised, because we’ve all gone through the drill of relocating/digging new Mines when deposits run out, relocating Work Camps when we run out of trees/stone within reach, and then having to relocate Stockyards and - all too often - as the resource sources move farther out from the town, add more Carts.

It’s a real Production/Resource Rat Race, and as they say about rat races, even if you win, you’re still a rat - and will probably have to do it again and again . . .

this doesn’t work for me.
My current town has 9K iron ore in the global inventory list. I want new ore all to
go to just 1 stockyard next to my forges so that is the only one ticked but the ore
never goes there. It sits in the great global void. If i add up all the iron ore
I can find in all my stockyards it is only about 1500 and none of the new ore
is going to the only stockyard I have ticked. This forced me to do the
the yard relocating hack to get the ore there where it is needed etc…

that doesn’t work for me either. I tried making more wagons many times
and they just idle or close to idle. There is no need to add more wagons
if the current amount is sitting waiting for work. Which is my case
currently and I have just 6 wagons on this town. when I added a 4th
wagon building the 2 new wagons just sat there 100% idle even though
the local storage of the mines was full and workers were hand carrying
back to main town. This is one of the reasons I feel wagons
are worthless and why I said above to the OP wagons can’t
handle it and workers will still hand carry back to town

I am seriously beginning to think that there is considerable ‘randomness’ built into the game, either as an unintended consequence of something else or sheer perversity on the part of the computers.

For instance, several others have complained about crashes or freezes with the game in several versions - never had it happen. Several people now are trying to find out why their villagers keep dying off in huge numbers, or get slaughtered by drunken, enraged Soldiers, or wander around until they starve to death. Had the last happen a couple of times, never seen either of the former.

I don’t think I’m doing anything particularly Right (my gameplay style is Trial and Error, and Error, and Error, after all), but something is giving me a different experience than others are suffering.

Carts and resources is another one. IF I designate a single storage for an item, it goes there and no where else. IF it runs out of space, or I fail to designate a storage area, it goes nowhere and, just recently, I get a message saying No Storage Area Designated or words to that effect - but that, I think, is new with the latest version.
Carts are tricky. IF a mine/camp/quarry is all the way across the map, more carts are triggered somehow to service it -but I have not checked to find out if it’s a distance trigger or a Storage at the mine/camp, etc trigger or something else. IF the mine/camp, etc is ‘only’ a little ways off, one cart is all that will service it, no matter wha else is going on. Increased efficiency in the extraction of resources is, I think, more limited by the inefficiency of hauling it back to town than the inefficiency of extraction: once I have maxed out the workers in a mine or camp, stuff starts to stack up there no matter what I try.

I could also point out that your Main Town may be outside the ‘normal’ limits the game was planned for - hundreds of years in the making and I believe you said you’ve used up most of the on-map non-renewable Resources long ago.

That might actually make it a good test of what will be required once the 1000 population limit is off: I know a lot of gamers in all of the ‘city building’ games will immediately aim for the max population they can stuff onto a map, and that means they will put extreme pressure on the resources on any map - including what they can get through the Traders. Certainly the current Trader situation in quantities and demand (or lack of it) won’t be enough for them and their Mega-Towns.

yeah sure there is a lot of RNG but the ore being LOST is just a flat out bug.
It is related to the fact (I think) that I had 11K ore in 1 stockyard and then it all went
haywire. The overflow bug then the ore missing after that. If is as if none of the inventory
is in sync and thus the game doesn’t even know where to take the new ore.

I haven’t had any crashes in 400 hours of play since august, The dying off I do have
in crazy high numbers. I lose about 20 people a year to starvation when food is every
where and they refuse to eat even in their own homes with plenty of food they die.
I even have them dying while carry food back to their home for shelter stocking lol

but that is just it I have 6 wagons all at 100 working rate the mines
and 1 work camp. When I shut off the work camp they start to idle.

None of them take the ore to the only stockyard I have ticked.
It is VERY frustrating. Well my iron mine and gold mine are all
the way across the map on a LARGE map. There might be a limit
to how many wagons will service 1 mine but going by your
experience that is not the case.

yeah even shoes at 800 pop is way too few coming in. 2000+ pop good luck lol
(the new request to trader should help if you can bring in 5000 shoes but we
already had that discussion lol

Very strange indeed.
On my last 999 population map/town I finally managed to get complete Shoe coverage for the population, but it took 20 cobblers in 10 Cobbler Shops, 6 upgraded barns slaughtering 18 - 20 cows a year and 10 Hunters (half Upgraded) all throwing pelts at the Cobblers.

I don’t even want to think about what I’d have to do to provide shoes for 2000 people!

I’m going to experiment with carts and storage areas. It sounds, from your experience and mine, that the carts go Froggy both from having no storage or inadequate storage areas to deliver to and from having too many and different kinds of places to deliver from (mines, work camps, quarries, etc). Couple that to the ‘disappearing stocks’ where stuff goes into Never-Never Land instead of the Trading Post or Storage Areas, and I think there are some interactions in the coding that are Unintended Consequences, but I’d like to see if I can isolate when and how badly it happens. Right now all I could tell the development team is that “Sometimes it doesn’t work for Crap!” which doesn’t give them a lot to work on . . .

well the cart issue IMHO is related to the ore lost issue. If the system can’t see the ore
then wagons can not see work that needs to be done thus they sit idle. If I add a work camp
to my current town they the wagons get activated.

exactly! Sometimes it works sometimes if doesn’t. very grrrrrrrr lol

It would be nice if there was a way to be able to select what resources to move to what Storage house or Yard similar to how you move the cattle to a specific barn. Then the wagons can work off of those commands.

yes it would. the check boxes they added was supposed to do that but if you uncheck the stockyard next to the mines so wagon goes to the one in town then the miners start walking
to town also instead of storing right there in the yard next to the mines.

On the one hand, we need (or at least, would very much Like) more specific controls over what goes where and How Much. But that is going to require both a new UI design for the storage areas and probably some recoding for the carts and storage areas. It could be a Major Project for this late in the development cycle.

On the other hand, there appear to be a great many random ‘glitches’ still in the system. Some may be intended - Crate’s concept of what they want to happen in the game versus what we might want - others are Bugs, and some may just be Unfinished Business in this Early Release/Pre-Launch cycle of things.
Things like all the animations for shooting arrows being the same for bows and crossbows, and having the bows and arrows missing completely in the graphic representation, looks like Incomplete Coding. But having deliveries of goods to storage areas requiring a convoluted process of eliminating storage areas completely or taking them apart and re-assembling them elsewhere just looks like Bad Design.
Many of the complaints about low-powered production, such as Shoes or Furniture, are simple numbers tweaks - if they don’t tweak them before Release, I am pretty sure some Modder will tweak them after, so that doesn’t worry me as much as having artificially Rare Resources based on game design (Willow, Herbs, etc) that limit the amount of population you can achieve on a given map.

I remember that Forest Village’s Caravan Stables allowed movement of resources between storage buildings based on a ratio, % or set quantity, all of which you could set. Would be very handy to have that here.

Ironically, they just released Pharaoh Revised, a remake of an old, old city builder, and in it (from the original game) you can set how much of each resource you can store in each storage facility. It’s not a new concept, by any means!

2 Likes

maybe let storage to have 1-4 optional assigned workers , instead of using the idle workers carring the goods

1 Like

I think that runs the risk of having most of your workers tied up in the storage facilities when having enough spare’ workers is frequently a problem in the early and middle game.
I would think it would be better all around to simply have an extra task for the Workers of 'Move Resources" between storage facilities to balance out what is stored where in response to orders and totals you could set for each storage facility. That way, if you are doing a massive upheaval and need 20 Storage Facilities balanced the workers can automatically be assigned to those tasks without locking them up in the facilities when there is nothing for them to do there.