Multiple Town Centers?

One thing I always love is the initial establishment of a town. Once I get to a certain level of build, I like establishing satellite communities in different areas of the map when I find a favorable location after exploring. However, the single TC restriction always has my settlers running back to the center of the map for a number of reasons (ringing the TC bell during a raid for example). For this reason, I find that I don’t use large maps, as I can’t “disconnect” my citizens from the main TC.

• Any considerations for multiple TC’s or satellite “Community Centers”? It would be really cool to build Two or more settlements in one map.
  • Regardless, huge kudos to the Dev team for creating this awesome Medieval city builder. I’m a graphics snob (games GOTTA look good), and this is the best one I’ve ever played in 30 years of exploring city builder games!
9 Likes

Literally the only practical function the TC has is the one you mentioned, and that becomes redundant as soon as you build a few defensive towers anyway. The real issue stopping you from building satellite settlements is that you end up with people living in one settlement and then traveling to work in the other. Once they address that then it should work fine to have separate settlements.

3 Likes

Honestly, this could be an idea for end-game content or an NG+ type of expansion in the future.
Once your first town is up and running, not only surviving, but thriving- a small group of settlers from your main town go out to build a new settlement on a new map. Not conquest, but expansion.
You, the player, would need to juggle the establishment of a new town that could trade or swap resources that they have in abundance, that your original town does not have- essentially expanding the trading system. They aren’t sending anything for free, but would act as traders like the current AI traders we have. But you could choose what to send and what gold prices or barter items to swap would be (new town has lots of sand, but little clay, original town has lots of clay but little sand- barter/swap it- the game would use the same pricing ratios that it has, but you could choose to set it to the high end or low end of the range. 1 sand = 2 clay or 3 sand = 1 clay- something along those lines).

The game would still be Singleplayer, no servers needed, and you would be dealing with the same issues in the new settlement(s) as you were getting your original settlement established- and you may be dealing with serious issues in both at one time. Greater challenge for those that have that masochistic tendency and love beating themselves up. A DLC expansion in the Farther Frontier Future, for those that want it, but not a part of the game for those that aren’t interested in buying it.

It would be a lot of work for Crate to make it balanced and fun at the same time, so I wouldn’t expect to see this as a DLC for a year or 2, maybe more (depending on what they have going on with GD and this game, and maybe another new game- and whether the global economy allows them to hire more devs and support staff).

1 Like

They just need to make villagers live as close to work as possible. Villagers wasting time walking across the map to work is a real problem. Also, my villagers never seem to use the temporary shelters I build at remote locations either, preferring to walk all the way home in town.

4 Likes

This really needs to be added as a end game kind of multiple settlers but all linked together, it could maybe be made like different towncentres controls certain area settlers so they don’t walk from the other side of the map to the other end. I would like this to be a feature already since I want to collect the mountains iron ore which is far away from my initial settlement so it becomes a hassle especially as I think that the Temporality shelter does not account for mine workers at all? Only the workhouse workers which is another thing to be addressed in my opinion

As it currently stands, it is very hard to make towns that are far away from the main town hall.

Let me try and describe this. After I place the first building and storage facilities near it, all houses and market must be near it. I can’t go somewhere far on the map and start there a new town that specializes in something (wood, farming, metal, etc.) and then have items delivered to my other towns that need it. I can build sites far, temporary shelters and wagon carts… but it’s not the same.

So here is what I was thinking. Storage now have a new interface or AI controlled if possible, where I can say or automatically detects what is needed in that town. So if in this current town A, I have metallurgy but no near mines, then I can start town B with its own food supply system that specializes in mining. I would like a system where the raw materials needed in town A to be taken from town B and the commodities missing in town B to be taken from town A (if it produces it). Basically besides the trading I do with those external vendors to also have trading system between towns.

I select the biggest maps available and try to spread from a central point. This is nice, but after hours spent on a save file, I saw how horrible it all looks. I played Manor lords in demo and liked the idea and aesthetics of having multiple towns on the map, each with their specialization.

I don’t think this would be asking for too much. I can still develop my town and evolve outwards, but would also like to be able to make multiple towns and have them trade with one another.

1 Like

Regarding NPC working over long distances. The job site could actively scout for the nearest available laborer (near criteria should be house placement) and try to replace the furthest working NPC with that laborer.

Oh and one more thing. Could we have market workers use carts at some point in time? They don’t supply the market fast enough

1 Like

There are updates to the market worker coming soon.

3 Likes

Yeah you might be right that it is not that this game really needs or thrives for as I have now played some more and learned a good way to do the far away resources and maybe that should remain for the Manor Lords games function (Which is also seeming very promising game from the demo presented and also wanna see and play that more in the future) and let this game do the one main settlement several far resource gathering sites thing (if needed)

Yeah at Nexus there’s a mod for this system which re-does all the villagers living shelters based on where they work when hitting a hot-key and I use it currently and hopefully it gets added to the base game officially so I can remove that mod which I understand would be safe to remove based on how the mod is made (can’t promise that though)

EDIT:

Also highly agree on this that markets are rather slow at their work currently so something to boost them at their work would be nice and a cart sounds good :+1:

well. how to put it.

Let’s say that you decide to have a very far mine and even carts have trouble getting resources from there in time (my current issue). Wouldn’t it be nice to build a storage near those very far resource collectors and have a dedicated system which travels there, takes the materials they produce and gives them food, fire logs, beer, etc.?

This is basically what I ask for… its just that I can also use this system to build a far away town entirely.
I play on the biggest possible map and have a cluster of ore on the literal other side of the map. It takes ages to mine that ore. 3 generations of workers have died to mine 10% of it… So I am thinking that if I had a town there and managed to remove their useless walk back to town (which funny enough some died to harsh cold which made me build A LOT OF temporary houses along the way so they can stop and not die of starvation and other things).

This is becoming a comedy show rather than a game. I had the bad luck or divine inspiration to build a town at the edge and explore towards the other edge.

Now, I don’t want developers to limit the size of the map. I want options to extract resources from far away places without the current struggle. And eventually EVEN BIGGER MAPS. Like banished has. I have over 1k hours in that game. I moded it and have an insane map span. The mod allows for resources to be transferred from one storage to another across huge spans of land. It feels awesome.

I hope I painted a better image of what I encountered and what find that could be useful. Now I might be in a very small percentage of players that managed to derp very hard on town placement regarding to map… but I am allowed to place town anywhere I want and have huge maps… so this kinda opened a new way to F it up.

1 Like

I ran into your exact issue and suggested it in another forum post I made with more general suggestions.

I really hope the settler-job-to-home-distance issue will resolve this issue but I think it would be fun to have satellite community centers for people to take cover in or to have stats specific to the smaller town. But that would require more jobs like the wagon drivers to be specific goods transporters and have the storage facilities track how much was taken away by wagon drivers as an “export” from a satellite to other areas.

Either way I hope this happens or something like it! Love the map sizes and want to be able to expand

1 Like

Agreed and also with cmurrsoultrain

I’ll confess I have sorted this out substantially with mods… one being directly concerned with the ‘settler-job-to-home-distance issue’ is Autocommute and this fixes that entirely by rehousing everyone to their optimum housing location to suit their job where possible. Like you I have made a number of remote settlements, several of which have expanded into a large mini city itself and thus I have established resources camps and accommodation and essential storages and wagon shops at the far locations of mines and workcamps to speed up collections. I am at the 1000+pop level also (again I am using a mod there)

I am on a large map and even so still have a LOT of usable living land and crop land I would ideally like to develop. The limiter for me is the game speed, as right now even at over 1000 pop on a test PC it works fine, BUT…once you get 395 raiders from THREE different spawns at opposite ends of the map all at once the game grinds to a halt. So long term I have to stop now to be able to run the game during raids until one day a future version allows for better performance. OR I need to spend many thousands again on an ever faster better gaming PC and top end GFX card to keep pace.

Hey there, I’m the maker of autocommute – thank you for suggesting it!

Someone mentioned on the subreddit that there might be changes related to commutes with v.8, so I wonder if my mod won’t be needed anymore

v0.8.0 will adjust the AI so villagers select homes nearer to their work places rather than running halfway across a map to get home.

let’s gooooo

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.