My Dad's Favorite Game

Here they are enjoying the game:

My Condolences, may your dad rest in peace

Your dad knew his stuff, Shacklefurd. Let me tell you that.

He sounds like a genuine gamer and I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Games can bring people together and provide some excellent memories.

Praetorian Zedlee will forever stand watch, a testament to all gamer’s who knew the importance of not losing their current map progress :wink:

May he rest in peace.

Syn

yooo

this company is awesome you guys are gonna make me cry BibleThump

rip zedlee :cry:

Your dad sounded like a great guy. So sad that he lost his battle. At least you’ll always have your great memories.

A side note, +1 to crate for the in-game tribute to Zedlee. You guys are awesome.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I have had the same thing happen to me with a very very close friend, she was more to me that much I have had in my life - I still have the emails she sent from hospital. I know how you feel. :cry:

A true gamer until the end. Sorry for your loss, and great tribute from Crate: that’s a very nice touch.

A great tribute to your father from you and Crate.
I can understand a little how your father felt. I showed grandsons how to play Diablo and great grand daughter twins watch me play Grim Dawn asking tons of questions.
An excellent photo, notice a joystick sitting on the desk.
May you keep the memories of your relationship forever.

I am very sorry for your loss Shacklefurd. I also play a soldier so I can understand his enjoyment of the mastery.

Thank you Zantai and the rest of the Crate Team for adding in the NPC Praetorian Zedlee to the game nice touch!

@Shacklefurd - Your father sounded like a fun individual, who was in constant touch with his inner child. My condolences to you, and your family. Courtesy Crate, now we’ll all remember your father, given that he’s been given his own form of immortality, besides your family’s memories.

@Zantai - Such a simple gesture, yet so profound an impact. God/Science bless Crate.

1 Like

oh man, sorry for your loss. t’was sad but heartwarming to read about your story. all the best to you and your family.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your father, Shacklefurd. That picture of him with your son is wonderful. God bless you and your family with peace; you’ll be in my prayers tonight.

I don’t think I’ll be able to pass Praetorian Zedlee without a smile from now on. Good on you, Crate for that gesture.

This made me tear up and have to clean my glasses. My heart goes out to you in your family.

Suddenly having a hard time seeing the screen as well. Thank you for letting us share in the warmth and ember of your memories.

Sometimes a poem or a story is stirring enough to leave one lost in silence for the better part of an hour. And sometimes, although very, very rarely, a post on a message board might do the same.

Agreed. Sad tho it is it’s one of the better ones we’ve had in a while. Since you mentioned it (poems), here is a few lines from a poem that has stuck with me over the years that fits this thread very well I think:

taken from: Ode
Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood

Thanks to the human heart by which we live,
Thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears,
To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears.

-William Wordsworth. 1770–1850

1 Like

Be sure that your Father will always be a special part in our beloved Grim Dawn Community. His story will help me to always remember to honor my inner Child. I will honor him and will do my duty in all coming content and give him a minute every now and then in Homestead. Stay strong and always remember the times you loughed together.

Best wishes
Mara

I am sorry for your loss, Shacklefurd. May your dad rest in peace.

It’s really a wonderfull imagination that there is a place in your dads most favorite game, where you and your son can meet him once and a again as a proud Guard of the Black Legion watching over you. Keep your heads up and thanks for sharing this very personal story of life with us! :slight_smile:

Sad for your loss. Glad you enjoyed time together. Tis a special thing when father and son can be in harmony. That is one thing I never knew much about.

It’s taken me a while to respond as I’ve been at an uncharacteristic loss for words. It was sad but also incredibly touching to read this. Somehow I remembered your Dad’s forum name, even though when I looked back I saw that he only posted 3 times. It must be a bit weird in this digital age to have your family member’s internet presence live on after they’re gone.

Occasionally I feel down thinking, while I earn a good living for my family creating games, I’m essentially investing my energy and imagination to create nothing more than time-wasting entertainment. Once in a while though, we’ll get a sincere, heart-felt message like this story about your Dad and it puts things into context. It is nice at least to learn that my work sometimes serves to bring people together and provide moments of joy and a bit of respite for those who need it…

We’ve added some additional dialogue for Praetorian Zedlee that I hope you’ll find fitting.

So sorry for your loss and thank you for your story. It will serve as an inspiration for the tough times ahead.

2 Likes

Looking forward to it all. I still do no good with sympathy or empathy, but this is one of those things I’ll remember. I told my wife your story and Crate’s response, and she was in tears. I’ve mentioned it to a number of friends and all they could do was gasp at it all. My first stop in the next build will be to visit Praetorian Zedlee in Homestead.