My Dad's Favorite Game

I really hope that this thread earns a sticky. It doesn’t deserve to become lost in the Abyss. It should be there for newcomers (and old) to find and read.

1 Like

Could not agree more.

This may be the most fitting memorial to my Dad that could possibly be made. When my brother and I make it to Dad, I will grab a screenshot and photo and post it for all to see.

Again, thank you for this as it will help us more than anything else could.

I lost a family member last week under similar circumstances, and your family has my sincerest condolences. I know how hard it can be to come to terms with what has happened, and it sounds like he was both an amazing man and father which makes it all that much more difficult. I hope that the awesome tribute in the game will continue to give you comfort during such dark times, and in the years to come as you remember all of the great memories of him!

Hello Shacklefurd,

I’m sorry for your loss, my thoughts to you and your family.

I’ll think of you and your Dad when i visit Praetorian Zedlee.

Thank you Crate for honoring my father like this. It means a ton to my family to have him in here. Here is a picture of my brother’s witchhunter and my shaman with him in Homestead:

It is not often that a thread on here totally escapes my notice, but this one did until just now. The OP was a well written account of a sad story that triggered intense emotion in me due to the fact that I will someday have to say good bye to my kids. The response by Crate dropped my jaw.

After reading so many posts of people excited with various aspects of b28 and endless praise for Crate, well, this thread is just another example of why the devs deserve it.

So while I am sorry for the loss of your father, I am glad you made this thread. It represents an excellent example of the excellent people that make and play this excellent game.

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

That’s a beautiful picture, Shacklefurd !!!

Much strength in these hard times, and hopefully B28, the wonderful gesture of Crate and Grim Dawn in general will ease the pain somewhat …

Sorry for your loss… And thank you for telling us your story. :cry:

Man that’s sad, condolences to you OP and crate that’s a beautiful tribute

Sitting here at work, reading the forum, found this thread and a tear runs down my cheek. My thoughts are with you and your family Shacklefurd!
Your Dad now has his eternal place in the world of Cairn and this is a really good thought.

best wishes to you and your family!

ps: @Crate - you’re awesome guys <3

Just hanging out with Praetorian Zedlee, trading some knee-slappers. Slip 'im some bourbon on the sly and he’ll jaw yer ear clean off!

1 Like

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your father - have to say I’ve a lump in my throat now as I’ve read your experiences.

Those memories are precious and will stay with you through the rest of your life.

Massive kudos to the developers for naming a character in the game - this is the sort of story that should make the evening news.

I contacted Patrick Klepek of Kotaku to let him know how awesome Crate is and he wrote up a pretty great article on my dad and the game. Thanks for the awesome job Crate.

http://kotaku.com/dad-immortalized-in-his-favorite-game-by-grieving-son-1748576006

1 Like

Awesome article. The comments on it were equally as good.

nice article. I wanted to tell you that when I see him in the game I always remember you. Cheers

First: Op-Again-my condolences. It was very kind of you to share that with the folks at Crate and inform Kotaku. I know how hard dealing with something like that can be.

Second:Crate-I’ve always had a ton of respect for you folks but that was above and beyond. An incredibly kind gesture and one that helps reaffirm my faith in humanity. It represents the kind of compassion and charity we humans can show each other despite all the negative in the world.

Speaking for myself I promise you that this game has helped sustain old friendships and forge new ones. I got into it thanks to my friends on the Runic Games forums and it’s helped me make a few good friends along the way. The hard work and toiling has had a very positive effect on my life and I just want you to know how much I appreciate it.

Grim Dawn rocks but Crate rocks even harder. May love be all your guides, serendipity your constant companion and may Grim Dawn bring you success in ways you find to be fulfilling and rewarding.

Oh man, the feels! :cry:

Thank you for sharing OP and thank you for reminding me to value the time I have left with my own Dad. Sincerest condolences for your loss.

Lastly props to Crate; such a simple gesture yet the magnitude of its significance and how much it will mean to Zedlee’s family is astounding. Bravo good sirs!

1 Like

I am in tears right now. Usually I’m a tough guy, but this… So sorry to hear about you loss man, please stay strong. Your father’s battle will be forever on my mind, this story is too strong to forget.
Awesome tribute Crate, you guys totally deserve the respect we have for you.

R.I.P. Soldier Zedlee, your blade will always guide us to the light.

Greetings from Brazil.