My Final Feedback On The Howl Of The Wendio Mace

So, mucked around some more today with my Vitality Blade Arc Warder test build and managed to push sheet dps to 220K with the following:

Not bad, and now handles SR75-76 much more smoothly, though it’s health bar yoyo’s significantly still, mainly due to lack of sustain from other sources + somewhat lower armour. But in SR85-86 where I stress test my builds I’ve found that relying on BA alone just doesn’t work. Doesn’t matter how much I stack OA for crits etc, without other skills to provide damage support + the fact Dying God is a must have means it’s too weak. Which lead to only 1 run out 10 getting to the end due to dying at the drop of a hat at due to BA not providing enough sustain even with Bat proccing constantly.

This is in contrast to a Deathknight using the Blood Knight set, which has Counterstrike for damage + adcth support, boni to Bone Harvest that allows you to use Bone Harvest as both an AoE attack and damage boost + Siphon Souls for added damage and sustain.

Doesn’t help I’m tired as hell today, so not the best at piloting lawl.

But I model, that even if I could squeeze more flat physical or vitality damage on to it and maintain resistances it would still be insufficient to match a similar physical BA build, never mind the gold standards of using Spellscourge, or Bloodrager’s sets. Which make BA work by itself due to the damage boni they give it.

There’s a potential solution though - for while bleeding can’t be transmuted to vitality, vitality decay can be added to the weapon as a bonus for BA. As while more flat damage would help, adding vitality decay would enable players to build further into vitality decay for it.

I’ve also tried vitality/bleeding and sadly it was lacklustre as hell despite Howl of the Wendigo seemingly supporting bleed. Probably need Bloodrager’s for that though, but since that mainly supports physical 2 hander BA it might not be that good.

Otherwise, now that my brain recognised it - adding some adcth to the mace would also help on the sustain front without making the mace too OP.

Anyhow, might test out a Spellscourge version lawl, I suspect it might be better. As might a Bloodrager version, though that will be more of a vitality/bleed variant that drops Dying God.

1 Like

Oh yeah, in experiments with a hybrid bleed/vitality build:

I’ve noticed there’s another thing that would also help this mace - adding more bleed damage to Blade Arc. Which would allow it to synergise better with builds focused on bleed damage.

And finally tried out a Witchblade using this mace, and lo, it’s not that good. Even converting 70%+ of chaos to vitality, it can’t get above 190K sheet dps. And as this mastery lacks support for BA and another attack skill, it’s less effective that any of the other stuff I’ve tired.

Teh Build: Witchblade, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Can do SR75-76, but it’s slow dealing with nemesi to the point it’s best to avoid them or you wont have enough time if you die before the boss room. Can do SR80-81, but it’s even slower at killing nemesi and bosses.

Which leads me to echo what mad_lee said on discord and gave as feedback ages ago - adding 50% weapon damage to Wendigo’s Howl would definitely help. I also think adding some bonus crit damage would help a fair bit, though perhaps too much :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d also add a skill bonus + mod to it for Curse of Frailty to give -10% vitality RR to better support it, as vitality is annoyingly well resisted. And it already has one for Siphon Souls, so it would thematically fit :stuck_out_tongue:

And in terms of support vis gear - Vitality BA badly needs some, mainly for Witchblade, which you’d think would work well, but doesn’t.

Otherwise, from a short talk with mad_lee it seems Blade Arc itself could need some love to make 1 handed BA more viable. Because right now it’s not in the best place even with all the MI’s out there.

Plus the dropping of 50% weapon damage to BA on Boris’s axe really, really hurts 1-handed physical BA builds that aren’t bleed focused. Because that’s and pierce are the only ones with other weapons supporting them in the 1 handed slot…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.