Mythical items "worse" than regular ones?

When Ashes of Malmouth came out there was what felt to me like a huge backlash about the Mark of the Forbidden. The reason was that the regular version could proc the Toxic Gas Cloud and the mythical version could not, depriving it of a huge utility and making it inferior to the regular one to most players. This got fixed pretty quickly so that the intended upgraded version actually felt like an upgraded version.

Now there are some other items where the mythical upgrade doesnt include the proc of the regular item (I found the Abyssal Mask and the Souklcatcher) and - without intending to rag on it - I would like to know if this was by design or by oversight.

The main selfish reason is that I am trying to build a character around the Abyssal Mask.

At the time, Zantai made a comment that they wanted to lean away from the number of procs on gear by having skill modifiers replace them on certain items and the rationale that if you wanted to keep a certain proc from before that you could use the non-Mythical version. Keep in mind that skill modifiers can only be on Weapons, Headgear, Amulets, Medals and Handguards.

That said though, you are correct in that they have reinstated procs on Mythicals that did not originally have them, another big one being Mythical Aethereach. It’s been stated before that others can be reinstated if a good enough reason or argument is presented too.

From your examples, Mythical Abyssal Mask looks better than it’s non-Mythical version to me due to it having resist reduction and the proc on the non-Mythical version is very low in damage. Mythical Soulcatcher does look pretty weak though due to Devouring Swarm just not being a damage skill (due to how it works) and Chaos Ravenous Earth massively lacking support, it may as well not exist :rolleyes:

Definitely Design. Abyssal mask now buffs Bloody Pox instead of giving an additional one, which wasn’t even that strong. Also buffs Drain essence.
Soulcatcher now gives more skills (adds bonus levels is what I mean) and buffs two skills.

I think the Abyssal Mask is a good idea (resist reduction is way better than a weak version of additional Bloody Pox), but the Soulcatcher actually seems weaker.

It still kind of really bothers me that Mythical Arcanum Sigilis replaced the proc with bonuses to fire strike of all things. That gun could have been great for a tactician with transmuted cadence or a mage hunter with Beronath’s fury…but instead they decided to force it toward purifier for some reason. Also that replicating missile modifier exists I guess, but I don’t think it’s worth taking this gun over other existing replicating missile gear.

You weren’t alone this. It used to lack the +1 to Inquisitor at launch. A fair amount of people jumped on it saying they wanted to make a Mage Hunter but couldn’t so eventually it got changed.

The skill mod still isn’t stopping you from making that Elemental Tactician/Mage Hunter though, everything else about it is pretty solid.

Also that replicating missile modifier exists I guess, but I don’t think it’s worth taking this gun over other existing replicating missile gear.

I’ve never played a Panetti’s build but the gun is really popular for it, some builds even use 2 if they don’t want an off hand.