Need a little help and advice

i did something very stupid … i tried making a new character but the character generator said i had too many saves… so i deleted my “steam cloud saves” now all my characters are gone … any way i can retrieve them? wasnt my save game saved somewhere on my pc?localy or does the saves only save to steam cloud saves?

That’s quite unfortunate indeed. Unless you pressed this button first at some point prior to pushing the Delete button…

…then I regret to tell ya that “Ya done messed up”. There’s no coming back from that.

As for this…

Crate has implemented a cloud-saving cap of 50 characters maximum when Steam cloud-saving is in use because Steam has a cloud save file limitation and to prevent you from hitting that limit and losing characters and/or corrupting save files they limit it. Local saves have no such limitation (however much hard drive space you have is your limit).

How to PROPERLY switch from cloudsaving to local saving:
How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location.

Sorry bout your save files but it sounds like you just screwed yourself good there.

Didn’t have 50 characters and. I remember most of my saves early on were saved localy something must have changed at some point with an update where suddenly it’s steam cloud saves arrrg

I had some nice stuff and recipes all that hard work. Because they made steam cloud as default … Should always be local saves as default

Maybe I’m wrong and the limit is 30? Either way you shouldn’t get that message unless you are hitting a cap in with cloudsaving.

If they were ever saved locally at any point they would be here:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

There is nothing that Grim Dawn does that will remove any saves located in local saving. Anything done to move them would have to be initiated by your own hand (the only exception would “maybe” if you had a serious system crash that resulted in data loss.

While I actually somewhat agree with you on this point it should be noted that in this particular case you very clearly pressed DELETE without considering the immediate consequences of doing so. The “Download Cloud Saves” button was right next to the “Delete” button too. Bad move.

my booboo because didnt see the download the cloud saves button … guess i’ll have to play those characters all over again …