Need advice on improvements for Sorceres build

Hello all,

I’ve been playing for a long time, trying out different characters (with some breaks in between) and recently decided to take one of them to endgame and that’s where I need your advice.

I’m playing dual wield melee with a focus on fire. I like the skills I use, though I’m open to suggestions on that as well. My main question is what gear should I be hunting for and where can I best find it (if there is targetted farming for it).

I already made some improvements to skill and devotion selection based on some forums and build articles, so that got my OA and DA up and also improved my damage a bit. I can kill some of the nemesis bosses on Ultimate, but not all. I’m also struggeling with the skeleton key dungeons, which I’d like to be able to do.

So any advice on how to improve is welcome, I prefer keeping this set of skills, though I’m open to small changes there as well (especially if something doesn’t do much for my build).

Link to my build: Sorcerer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Asvanr.

I am very very far from being expert of this game, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
But some of your items don’t seem to be BIS.

Here’s my sorceress (DW pistols), but maybe you will find some of the gear useful for you as well…

Your bleeding, vitality, aether and chaos resist are not overcapped enough, IMHO.

1 Like

Most likely none of my items are BIS as I’ve just equipped what I had to make it work up to now. This is probably the point where I should start working on getting BIS items, but I have no clue yet as to which work best for my build and where to get them.

How much overcap is considered enough? I will try and work on those, though I thought I read somewhere some of them are not as important as there are very few bosses that lower those (can’t remember which ones it were though).

I started out with pistols btw, and I’m open to switching to dual wield pistols if I find some good ones, but up to now my melee weapons have been way better.

Anyway thanks for the advice, the Justicar Guard seems like a good set to look out for, to improve on the items I have.

I do +40% overcap for all resistances, some say the +40% thing is for elemental resistances, acid, aether and chaos.

But I have to warn you - I don’t plan builds for myself to kill celestials or doing good / great in Crucible or SR. I create my builds for pleasure in main campaign.

You might want Chain of Ordas belt for aether → fire conversion, and Seal of void for more AS and WPS. OFF only works well with -freeze duration from gears (has almost no effect on bosses/superbosses), so you dont need it. Max Demonfire and AF for more DR and -RR, as well as Flametouched and Maiven, 1 point Null to remove mob buff/self-debuff.

1 Like

OFF only works well with -freeze duration from gears (has almost no effect on bosses/superbosses), so you dont need it.

I have it for the -105% fire resist, that still works eventhough the freezing doesn’t work, right? And it still helps in doing shrines/totems, though it’s not really that necessary there. If it doesn’t work like I thought it did, then I can indeed drop it.

You might want Chain of Ordas belt for aether → fire conversion

I don’t think I have that much aether damage to convert, unless I’m missing someting. Wouldn’t a conversion from lightning to fire be more effective? Not questioning your knowledge by the way, just trying to understand the choices and what I might have missed, so I know what to look for (all the other stuff I understand why you would do that).

Anyway you have my thanks as well!

Nevermind, I just read somewhere that if it doesn’t freeze it doesn’t reduce resistance. So it’s useless against the bosses, but does help in the totem farming. Thanks for pointing it out, still learning some new details after all this time.

Nope. Things like that (tied to a cc) only work as long as the cc works.
Same with that WarCry mod: -All resist, working only as long as the enemies are in fact terrified.

Meaning all those things only work on enemies which do not need to be -rr’d in the 1st place.

Well, except if you use Mageslayer with OFF ofc.
Ah, and except with ill omen. Peculiar exception …

Really? If this is true, then the mod is just garbage and has no place in one of my builds :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. I hope it’s not true lol.

pretty sure that’s not the case
the debuffs are different and flat RR dosen’t require the status to apply
same reason why you don’t see stackable/x-%RR on non debuff hits or wepaon dmg hits like prefixes etc, and flat/n’th reduced does

1 Like

Im talking about the mod called Terrify. Not break moral, right?
Terrify-rr only working as long as enemies are terrified was communicated for a long time. That’s why not one person ever used it in this forum’s builds.

no, and yes i was speaking about Terrify,
again, flat RR does not require a status for it to apply, unlike stackable/-x%

no, it’s because it’s expensive for not 100% uptime, and more importantly; terrified enemies is generally bad for many builds, you don’t want enemies running away in various directions and scatter from you hits

heck you could even apply the same logic here,
“if Terrify RR only works on Terrified enemies; why does Break Morale work on enemies that are not disrupted?”

It’s just 4 skill points…

Hm, you’re right - quite convincing.
Really seemed to be a complete false canon being distributed through the years here.
THX for clarifying!

expensive because you suffer from 33% downtime
usually you want 100% uptime on RR or as close to, war cry has the worst uptime of any RR skill iirc, atleast without cdr helmet

I’ll just add that if you are using OFF, you could get a little bit more effect by using the Arcanist Conduit for 36% more effect - which is about 60% of the effect of the Set. It’s not likely to do that much more vs bosses but could impact the stronger mobs and heroes.

If you use off consistently for the RR, it is likely worth it.