Need advice on my elementalist storm totem build

This was the first build i tried, and so it’s my farthest along. It didn’t follow a build guide and i’m still learning about how to make a good build, so it’s not doing too well (and i’m only in elite difficulty).

I’d rather not abandon it but i’m having a bit of trouble at level 70 in ugdenbog.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2Mq8o42

The most obvious thing is that my poison resist is too low. i can tell because poison seems to be a DoT and when i see that little green icon i’m usually dead about 5 seconds later. so i’m going to work on that as much as possible.

However i’m unclear on whether it needs to be maxed or not. generally speaking do ALL the resists need to be maxed ? for example i did pretty well in one of the cthonic rifts even though my chaos resist isn’t too high. what about pierce ? or vitality ?

I’m also not clear on how much life/defense i need for level 70. i’m running about 8.5k or so. is there a good rule of thumb for how much life you need at a particular level ? As long as i don’t run into poison, 8k seems to be ok.

finally, i’m not sure where my dps should be. i definitely am grinding right now with my current DPS so i suspect it’s a bit low. i’ve been trying all sorts of gear combinations and curretly this is the best gear i’ve got. i have to move somewhat slowly and some of the fast moving mobs will over whelm and i usually die.

thanks for any help or advice !

p.s. i do have the reset potions for both skill points and devotions, so if i have to completely reassign my points that will be ok.

How about going heavy on Storm Totem according to the thread’s title.
Max it and equip the following target farmable MI’s
https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8566
https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8493
(you don’t need level 90 since there are lower levels versions of these items)
You’ll gain lots of power quickly this way

Also augments in every slot, for example: Mogdrogen’s Touch

Let me tell you this. Suppose you have 60% X resist. You then take double the damage from X you would take having 80% X resist. Such an easy fix, yet such a huge difference. No other stats make such drastic changes. That’s the reason why resist should be maxed and even overcapped later if we include debuffs from enemies.

Also you could read these guides:

huh. well, yeah, i should probably do that.

doh! i forgot monsters get RR too… aargh. getting that “2nd line” maxed is going to be rough. i guess that’s why you have to farm equipment. . I took another look and my add-ons for my gear are out of date. some of them aren’t helping much at all, so more Modrogen’s touch it is.

Is there a way to get the grimtools page to provide DPS ? i was hoping to see how much of a difference those suggested weapons would make.

I’m off to guides and tutorials to figure out where to farm gear.

Thanks so much for the suggestions !

It’s not. I’ve for example maxed out everything in your link using only low level augments and components that you should have right now. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7YLgBN and it’s much easier later with high level components and augments

I don’t think so but I’m not 100% sure because personally I never look at DPS meter. DPS cannot show that you have 5 Storm Totem Limit and you’re spamming them because of - 1.5s recharge rate. Most of stuff does not show in DPS, including RR, OA (i.e. you have more lightning RR so lightning damage is more valuable than what DPS shows) . Better to test dummy kill time or actual DPS using Grim Internals (you have to constantly pet attack with Storm Totem though). I think GlockenGerda implemented 2 ways of measuring DPS in Grim Internals - one real time depending on how much damage you’re dealing to dummy in Devil’s Crossing, another one is 5s average in Homestead. I rarely do that either though.

i should, but i don’t. i haven’t reached max reputation with black legion for example, but I’ll get there.

More importantly, i understand the power of the augments to help me get maxed out.

LOL. i should work on getting that 5 totem limit !! i can only set up 3 right now.