Need Help Recovering a Save File

Renamed it in GD Stash only to have it not load up on trying to start and crucible just goes to a level zero character. And none of the usual rescue techniques have fucking worked, like renaming it and setting all reputations to zero. There’s also some windows file and folder bs possibly involved, because of fucking course there has to be. So if someone at Crate could tell me what’s gone wrong that would be a huge bloody help.

The save file: _T Voidsoul Vit Senti

I’m going to try a more radical renaming in the meanwhile and how bloody knows, it might just fucking work.

Have you tried all the player.* gdstash backup files?

Huh? Where are those backups? I wasn’t aware that they existed >_<

Definitely need them, because none of the renames or modifications of reputation, skill points and such worked sadly.

In the folder you uploaded. Rename the most recent one to player.gdc or some older one if that’s also bugged.
GDStash makes up to 10 backups after each change to player.gdc it makes

Tried using the backup file, but it wouldn’t load the save, even after renaming the folder back to “Tester”

I think something’s gone wrong with one of the other files in the save file folder, but without dev tools to see what’s not getting loaded I can’t do anything >_<

Guess it’s time to rename the current tester, which is already backed up and then redo the build that this issue has eaten. Which is a shame, because it did have some loot from testing in SR80+. But I don’t know where the stash file is so I can’t shift it.

Also, I guess I really, really need to recreate the save file folder, because windows is doing something screwy and I may have to brute force shit through command line. As some folders can not be deleted or moved otherwise. All because MS decided it was more important to overpay their upper management than implement error checking on their fucking folder and file permissions system like they did for the registry hive.

And instead we get brain dead fucking LLMs as “AI” with MS pushing out a dedicated “stochastic parrot” button for keyboards. When Windows button plus any other would do.

And people wonder why “invest in guillotine futures” and similar memes is still a thing…

Right, brute forced the folder deletion of “Main”, which ate the damaged folders. Hopefully that’s fixed it, but with MS’s ineptitude who the fuck knows? This stuff should have been fixed by previous check disk runs, but what’s to bet I need to run a NTFS check on the whole user folder tree if what I suspect is correct.

Which is one of the joys that comes with not freshly redoing everything on your computer, instead of copying over everything and upgrading windows too like I’ve done for over a decade now lawl. Because RAM issues + HDD failing = fun with files and all their associated systems >_<

If you think other files are damaged, just take some other working character folder, rename it to Tester (probably best to do it in GDStash not manually) or whatever the correct name was and put player.gdc of this Voidsoul toon in it. I doubt you care about these other files to be the same anyway.

1 Like

Copying over the map files worked, had to do a rename first, because I used the original player.gdc file to get the name to match the folder. But after that it finally fucking loaded up.

Would love to know though what exactly went wrong, but now to very, very carefully rename it again back to it’s tester build name format of T [build name/description].

Right, I need some breakfast already, my blood pressure is feeling a bit low lawl. But that’s the ASD drive to fix things for you :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.