Need tips/advice for gear selection

I’m currently at Level 100 in Ultimate and I started FG after completing the main story and AoM.

Some fights are not easy, but I usually can make it through. I think it could be easier with better gear (average item level 70)

For the damage type I try to focus on fire.

My problem is that I stick for too long on gear items. I still have few level 50 items. They are long overdue for replacement. I always look for gear that would provide very similar stats, which mean I can potentially miss a better piece of equipment.

I’m not looking for skill or devotion change: I like the way it plays and it’s something I don’t want to change.

I’d like some advice of what I should take into consideration when checking to replace a gear item. For example stats I should prioritize (e.g. DA, resist). I know that a green item could be better than a higher rarity but with lower level. But it’s always “hard” to drop an item for an other one. Some tips would be welcome.

Thanks

I see two main problems with your setup:

1. Resistances not capped. Make sure you got every resistance (except for stun - you may get away with less here, depending on build and playstyle) at at least 80%. “Overcaps” up to 30% are nice, but not always achievable with leveling gear. But 80% is a must. This should be your top priority.
    In fact, a lot of deaths are caused by simple lack of resistances…

2. You said you were going for fire damage, which is fine. You also got a fire/elemental focused devotion map. BUT you got physical/pierce damage gear. Conversions (like the 45% physical to fire you have on your rifle) are applied BEFORE stat boni from your gear. This means, if you want to focus on fire/elemental damage, you need mainly fire/elemental damage on your gear - not physical/pierce.

Physical/pierce helps somewhat with grenado, since this skill does these two types of damage. For everything else in your setup, it is useless though.

Try to change these two things. You’ll probably do a lot better.

Good luck!

I know that my resistances are not capped. I change the augments depending of the area to boost a specific resistance. I also use potion to increase resist when needed. No the best solution but I can get through most areas without too much problem.

For the gear I know it’s probably not the best. I’ll try to replace gear items to go more toward fire/elemental instead of physical/pierce. That will be possible only if I can get some good drop. Maybe there is good drop already but I suck at choosing gear (thus my post here). I guess I’ll have to farm to get better gear.

Reference build isn’t that great, tbh…

I got that build here and at some point you have to choose and play :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do it like this:

1. DA - I prioritize this stat until my chance to be cit by the last boss is < 0. TBH I actually make it even less than that because I want to be prepared for the next one.
  2. Armour - This is very important, especially since phys resist is hard to come by, and most things deal phys damage. Once this gets to low, I toss the gear regardless of the stats, and shift things around to fill in important stats that got lost. I’ll sacrifice things lower on this list if need be. Also I get my absorption up to 100%.
  3. Resists - These I get as high as possible, but if there are gaps i’ll vary augments and potions based on areas.
  4. CC Resist - I like to get some stun, freeze, trap, and slow resist. Just enough to take the edge off.
  5. OA - You need to be able to hit to damage your enemies. I like to have 100% to hit at least.
  6. Health - The more the better, but it only helps as much as the resistance/armour/DA you have.
  7. Flat damage/AS/CS/health regen - Depending on what you need.

So that’s how I prioritize my stats, and I use gear to fill in after devotions/skills are considered. Since your devotions are offense orientated this puts strain on your gear selection.

It helps to know what’s a high value for each of those items. This lets you know what to keep and what not to keep. Remember the item doesn’t need to replace the same stats, it just need so have high values of things you need. Keep it if you can’t use it immediately, or use it and reassign skills/devotions/augments to cover the gaps.

On a side note, it’s also good to know what you don’t need. From what I can see, you barely have anything that does weapon damage, aren’t using cadence or fire-strike, so all the flat damage isn’t that useful. Neither is the attack speed, so devotions like Kraken and Hydra aren’t great.

You can check my guide, maybe you can find something useful! Guide: Recommended stats for end game

Thank you for the guide. I’ll have a look when I play my next character. I’m done playing GD for now, but I’ll be back some day :slight_smile:

Thank you for the tips. Since I last posted I was able to get slightly better gear. Few resists were not capped (e.g. acid), but I made it through by applying augments depending of the area. I completed the main story, AoM and FG. This was my 2nd character: hopefully I’ll be better at the game with my 3rd one. For now I will stop playing GD to play something else (Borderlands 3), but I’ll be back some day :slight_smile: