Negative red dps if equipped

I am confused about the neg dps numbers if equipped. If it says -368 when equipped you loose that much dps from your original weapon. What is the reasoning behind it, I can’t find a decent one handed weapon. I am playing Arcanist, lvl 42, solo build right now. I am using two handed weapons due to the negative numbers on the one handed weapons. I can’t use an off-hand right now. Can someone explain in simple terms what it all means. I have read a lot of other reviews but it’s still confusing. I don’t want to loose dps, but all one handers have negative dps if equipped, even from vendors.

first off, dps comparison tooltip is not 100% accurate
then, keep in mind it only compares the dps for your skill slotted to LMB or RMB if no attack skill is slotted on LMB (or A if xbox controller/what corresponds to hotkey 1 slot on the ui for controller)
^so because of that it depends entirely on what your specific skill on LMB scales on
if you have a purely % dmg scaled caster spell with 0 weapon dmg, then most of your weapon’s stat simply wont scale it, the tooltip notices this, so even if the weapon is on appearance much better stronger; it’s simply not fitting your specific slotted skill for that 1 button
also additional factors such as speed etc and dmg types ofc
would need to see the specific build/keybinds and items in question for that comparison

I am just using the normal attack on lmb and missiles on the rmb. I want a one handed weapon without loss of dps so I can use an off-hand. When you equip the weapon and check the dps you loose a lot of dps downgrading the weapon. Is there a way to get around this, because all one handers have neg dps, even the epic items I have. I don’t want to go from 2000 dps down to 1300 because of neg numbers. Is there a fix of some kind, of am I stuck with neg numbers forever

again, without seeing the exact setup and items it’s impossible for me to tell you specifically what’s going on
as listed there are numerous factors all at play; and if you have white sword icon on LMB and magick missiles on RMB; the dps comparison tooltip you are seeing is not for missiles but blank weapon attack only