New consumables system balance

Well, now we have 3 types of potions: Elixirs, Oils, and Tinctures. Although we don’t know anything about modifying potions in FoA yet, this distribution looks uneven.

Tinctures are offensive faction item could be bought at faction vendor with “tincture” in name. There are 9 tinctures (with may be or may not be added 1 at FoA). Let’s assume it is ok.

Elixir are offensive craftable item with “elixir” in name. There are only 6 of it. Not so little compared to Tinctures, but look at the Oils.

Oils are mainly defensive craftable items with various names. There are 29 (if I am not mistaken). Greater than both Tinctures and Elixirs. Most Oils grants resistances or regen, but several of them grant damage. So I suggest move them to Elixirs category: Arcanum Oil, Bloodfang Oil, Venomfang Oil and Lifestealer Oil with rename accordingly.

1 Like

I guess it does make sense if there is one defensive category and one offensive category for the 900 second potions. But, this does require a lot of rework at least because Elixirs cost more to make and have bonuses to match (Elixir of the Aether for example has casting speed in addition to +% damage). There are also problems like Rhowari Elixir (formerly Rhowari Oil) being redundant with Elixir of the Void. BTW, Lifestealer Oil is actually defensive and not offensive because it doesn’t contribute any extra damage.

As for tinctures, AFAIK nobody has done a comprehensive review of them but I can’t imagine that they are OK in their current state. For example it doesn’t make sense for a tincture with 8 second cooldown to have the same cost as a tincture with 30 second cooldown.

I’m pretty sure that the only tinctures that ever saw lategame use are courageous as pseudo circuit-breaker and cursed for DoT builds. Everything else just has too little uptime to be worth it, or too little damage for the offensive ones.

At the game engine point of view, ADCtH is damage type i.e. offensive stat.