New Forum Feedback

Not sure if this is the correct spot to ask this, but is there any way to hide all the stuff at the bottom of the page when you first enter a given game’s forum? I would just like to see the category titles, not every thread at the bottom of the page. It is waaaaay too much stimulation for me.

As usual, I’ve got problems with my reply box scrolling along my screen, and partially covered by the navigation top bar, which should be hideable. Lack of navigation tools for navigating between threads on a single forum, making inf-scrolling’s problems all the more painful.

With all due respect, this seems only partially implemented. While I may have only recently registered I do have many hours in PoE and love the game and have been using many of the stickied posts as very frequently used guides.

For example: GD Acronym and Abbreviation List - Grim Dawn Forums

Build Compendium V (Base Game) - Grim Dawn Forums

Link catalog for character builds, masteries and skills - Grim Dawn Forums

[Tool] Grim Internals - Grim Dawn Forums

…Just to name a few, these were all direct bookmarks that would take me directly to those forum posts\threads.

Now when I click on any of my old bookmarks they go to https://forums.crateentertainment.com. Will that return to normal? Also the formatting seems to be broken now too, none of the posts look the same anymore. Will the author’s formatting be returned to normal as well?

Please do not take this as an inflammatory post. Whatever you guys do, we’ll get used to it! :smiley:
Thank you!
thalian

It is possible to enable tags, yes. Is this something that would benefit the community? I don’t recall it getting much use in the old forum except as a joke.

No idea about the collaboration threads, may be a setting we have to enable.

The forum uses standard codes, so I imagine such helm guides already exist, but we could link to them if somebody has a good one.

So what you’re asking for is to just show the categories and not all the Latest/Top threads underneath that? That I’m not sure we can/should disable. :frowning:

Having a hard time with your issues cause I don’t even have a tablet to test on. :confused:

Not sure what you mean about the lack of navigation tools.

If by partially implemented you are referring to the broken links, that is unfortunately the way it’s going to be. The old forum was under constant harassment from a hacker and we had to migrate to a new forum in the process of securing the site. The old forum, and thus the old links, no longer exist. The new forum uses a different structure, which is why old links redirect you to the forum homepage.

Because of this, there will be some growing pains, but over time the critical links will be restored.

Not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you loaded the site while we were in the process of changing something (we’re making tweaks/improvements here and there as they come to us).

With Discourse, things update in real time, but at the same time other changes require a refresh of the page.

1 Like

On the main forum page https://forums.crateentertainment.com/c/grimdawn you only see the first pinned topic of each subforum. Latest unpinned topics are not shown except for the patch notes subforum, because that one doesn’t have any pinned topics. Can you change it the other way round so pinned topics are ignored and only the latest 3 or 4 unsticky topics are shown for each subforum?

1 Like

You have to update your links manually. As long as the threads haven’t been purged due to old age or irrelevance (the threads you listed all still exist) you can find them easily with the search tool. Speaking of which, it’s such an improvement. The old vBulletin search tool was completely useless, this one here actually works :grinning:

edit (because Discourse complained about me trying to triple post :open_mouth:):

For example the posts in this topic (had it bookmarked for years :nerd_face:) look pretty broken, those [li], [ol] and [ul] tags don’t work anymore.

Is it possible to resolve this automatically with a software solution or is it something that has to be done manually? Then it’s probably a better idea to create new guides from scratch, especially in cases like this when the info is years old and might not be accurate anymore.

If you take those links and paste them in google wayback machine or look at a cached page itll work fine. A shame they updated to a design that killed off so many years of player research and discussion.

1 Like

Visibility will come back as people find the new site and start contributing to the forum again. Went through something fairly recently like this when the old titanquest.net website was suddenly closed by the owners. A new forum was formed and yes, it took a few months for it to start appearing in google’s search, but now it’s the first thing you see when searching for stuff related to TQ. The same will happen with the new forum here and probably a lot quicker than it did for the new TQ forum which only had a few people at the beginning, GD has thousands of people interested in the game atm.

3 Likes

It’s not killed off for pete’s sake. Unless the threads are pre GD launch date 25.02.16 then those threads are still here for people to find and continue any discussions they were already participating in. It’ll take a while for google to start picking up the links again from the new site here, but it will happen. And I’d rather have broken links than give the hackers a back door into the new forum thank you very much.

1 Like

I do have difficulties with searching and I really want back pages, even if it was optional to toggle in the settings. I won’t bother searching if it doesn’t arrive because it takes too long now. As I mentioned in another thread, I never remember appropriate wordings or thread names, so inputting one word to the search tab and then searching for minutes for one damn thread is just stupid and I’ll rather make another thread about the same shit to then have time to do something important and check for the replies later.

On the old forum, searching a thread from October/November 2017 took me about 5 minutes, even less than that, because I just checked page 5, I see January 2018, so I have to go 3 pages further and I found whatever I wanted. Here it takes 20 minutes if not more.

Another factor, if you PC freezes even when browsing websites, waiting till a damn search page loads can take even 10 seconds.

Also, the reply feature doesn’t seem to work for me anymore. I do press it on someone’s message to reply to them, it does show the icon on top left of my message box, but it often doesn’t appear after sending the message.

My old ID can’t receive activation mail. How can I solve it?

Send an e-mail to [email protected]

Thank you for your quick reply.

Can I specify another email address?

So what you’re asking for is to just show the categories and not all the Latest/Top threads underneath that? That I’m not sure we can/should disable. :frowning:

There is something similar in Stack Exchange that I found very distracting - hot topics / latest topics. However, that section of the website was contained in a single element, and so I could use a standard ad blocker to just hide that feature.

In this new forum layout, that feed at the bottom doesn’t come up as a single element, and so I cannot pick the whole thing to block. I wonder if you would be able to change that? This shouldn’t affect appearance, but allow users to hide it if they so desired.

Also as an aside, if there isn’t already a guide on how to use the new formatting, there definitely should be one in a very visible location. I have no idea how to quote properly!

Yes, should be able to I think. They’ll tell you if it isn’t.

You quote by simply selecting the text with the mouse and you’ll see "Quote appear above it. Click on that and it’ll appear in a text box for your reply along with a preview on the other side of the screen.

I’m quite liking the new forum, and with these real-time improvements it’s gradually getting even better. Good job and thanks for putting in the work, Z and Rhis (and anybody else if they also worked on it). :+1:

2 Likes

None of the grimtools links in ANY of the Compendiums work. None. I believe this is what our friend was referring to. And if by “growing pains” Zantai meant that every single one of these needs to be replaced, that’s kinda bananas, don’t you think? If the compromise was made for security, than so be it and, as you say, it will happen… Then fair enough.

I thoroughly respect that this game/forum has gone through changes and transformations through the years, and absolutely agree that this community as a whole is WAY above average, but that just seems like it would be a simple fix.

I know exactly what he was referring to. Builds in the compendium do have broken links atm, but if you go to the build you want (simply search its name in the search function) then you will find the grimtools link there works. It’s not rocket science folks.

grimtools links themselves work fine.

I do have a question about the way the forum handles links:
at the moment clicking them opens them in the same tab, could it be made so that links open in a new tab by default?

1 Like