New Forum Feedback

I think the new forum is awesome and I like using it. Good job guys! :slight_smile:

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Screenshots/Streamers links not displaying properly

ARGH!!! As a fairly new player to the game (about a month now), I find it is extremely bad for business to move a forum and leave google to only link to the main page of the new forum. This means all player support is broken. One googles for a topic and sees a link to just the right answer, clicks on it and bam! link only goes to main page. Now we have to turn around and search for it in the new forums and yeah just not going to happen. Not going to search through countless files to find the one file that google indicated existed but nearly impossible to find in the new forums. Here’s an idea… pick a forum format that is known to be really good and stick with it. Otherwise, any future players will feel cut off from valuable information that once existed, but is now so buried deep. Some of us simply don’t have the time to search for 20 mins for a quick answer to a simple question that was once google searched and available with a simple click of a mouse button. This makes the game a chore to play. Luckily, there are those who kept information off the developers forum and readily available. Smart idea. Otherwise, these developers would have people not buying their games especially not their expansions and avoiding the developers completely in the future.

There were reasons for the move which it appears you are unaware of. Lets just say their hand was forced and they ended up having little choice in the matter (regardless of that fact, the forum was indeed long overdue a move to a more modern solution).

Crate’s a good developer with a pretty strong community. Period. Naturally some perhaps can’t handle the change (to be expected) but everyone who matters is still here and still behind them.

As powbam said there were reasons. Hackers attacked the old vBulletin forum several times making it inaccessible for players (even worse for new players, don’t you agree?) and also causing the loss of 18 days’ worth of threads/posts. So Crate shifted to a new platform and to help keep said hackers from being able to easily access the new forum, broke all the links to the old one - it simply doesn’t exist anywhere now except in a Crate vault somewhere.

If you know the title of the thread google called up then simply do a search for it here or use keywords to help find it. It’s not rocket science, just plain common sense.

I myself have no problems with new forums, i do miss the “next reply from crate staff” button

Have you looked at the Crate Tracker link?

I noticed interesting forum feature. You can like a personal message, but at same time the like isn’t affecting your total number of givens or received. :thinking:

Also I wonder what will happen if you tag someone else’s name in private message. Do they get notifications?

actually, at the beginning of the thread, it lists at the bottom of the first post the repliers and the number of their replies. Clicking on any of them will list their replies so you can keep jumping between them.

clicky

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice, i’ll keep itin mind ! :grinning:

Some time ago forum resolution started breaking on my phone whenever it was switching the orientation: if you rotate your phone the zoom is suddenly maxed out and doesn’t come back after rotating back. I don’t think anything was changed in my browser (Mozilla on android) but it might’ve been… Don’t have this issue with any other site.

Hi! New player here as well! I also got really frustrated, when the Google-links with seemingly perfect answers just brought me to the main page. In the beginning I did non even see that there was a forum behind those logo-disguised-links and just thought it to be a dead page. I agree that it is bad for the game, when information is that hard to access.

Still liking the game though. So heads up for that.

Anyhow - I understand your reasoning - but I do not understand why you did not just do simple 301-redirects for all the old URLs?

• The old forum would still be locked away
  • Google will easily find the new content under the old URLs
  • Everybody would be happy

Was there a reason not do to it?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Exactly! That’s what I see others do as well. However, it’s my guess that they didn’t as it would take a lot of work. Since the only way for a new user to know why the links from Google no longer work would be from this forum page itself. Now that it’s explained, maybe they can explain that on the main forum page. Like perhaps,

"Due to security of the forums and it’s members, we have moved our forums to this new location. We are sorry that your search inquiry that landed you on this page no longer works, please feel free to select from the banners the type of forum you are looking for and search within that forum. We regret we were unable to copy the forum questions and answers over to this new forum, but we hope you are able to find the answer to any questions you have here. If now feel free to ask. Again we apologize for your search bringing you to this page and not directly to the page that your answer was originally located. "

I agree, as a new user, I also thought it was a dead page. It sure looks like one! I suppose if they redesigned it to not look like a dead page, people wouldn’t be frustrated. Especially for new users who may not have Forsaken Gods yet. Why would they click on that part, if they even thought it was a clickable link to that forum. Since it doesn’t even appear to be a link and states FG and not the game itself, but the expansion only, new users would have no reason to click on it. Clearly not a user friendly page.

Sure it works for those who have been around awhile, who know from the information they received during the transition to this new forum, who may have been confused themselves at first but eventually realized that although it appears to be a dead page, that it in fact isn’t, that all may be well and good, but new users coming to the game who were drawn to the game due to the promotions of the latest expansion would not have the same experience.

It was nice that the users here don’t jump on the new players who express their confusion and frustration. It is clearly a problem, but since it was explained, it is understandable. I am sure there a quite a few people who still remain frustrated by that dead looking page that they keep seeing. Again, a redesign of that page or at least a note or explanation on the landing page would be in order. Oh and maybe not have the banner for Grim Dawn not be simply Forsaken Gods as if it doesn’t cover the main game or AOM.

Just throwing that out there for this forum landing page to be more new user friendly.

Not sure whether this is the correct place for this report or whether Bug Reporting would be more appropriate. Moderators: please move as needed.

Within the last week or so, I’ve had difficulty accessing these forums. I use (desktop) Firefox Quantum v69.0 (latest) to access this site. I often, but not always, see this error message when navigating to the site:

Other times, when I’m able to get past the error message (note the change in URL), I see this, and the thread/post dates are not current (off by days, sometimes):

I’m bringing this to your attention in case someone on the back end was recently “futzing” (a technical term) with the web code and unwittingly broke something for Firefox users. I successfully accessed the site to post this message using Chrome (an otherwise very rarely used back-up browser), but I really don’t want to have to use Chrome to access this site.

Please let me know if you need any additional information to assist clearing up this error issue. Thanks.

Me, too (64 bit version), and I have never had any of the issues you describe.

• Are you using any script blockers or other addons, which might affect this website?
  • Have you tried to delete your browser history?

It is possible one might have updated recently. I don’t use many and I have this site whitelisted in most where that option exists. I will try disabling and enabling different ones to see if one of those might be the cause of this behavior.

I will also try clearing my browser history and watch over the next week to see if that made any difference. As I mentioned earlier, the errors occur often, but not always … most notably upon the first attempt of the day to access the site; my computer is shut down overnight. Once the site has been successfully accessed, I don’t seem to have issues again until the next day (guessing that information is locally cached).

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions where to look on my side to correct this issue.

@eisprinzessin … it appears as though the Privacy Badger extension put out by EFF doesn’t like the way this site tracks users and thus breaks the site. I made adjustments on my side and no longer have the problem. Correlation is not necessarily causation (?) YMMV

I like the new forum. I don’t spend much time on any forums in recent years so I have limited perspective, but this one has a lot of nice features and I can see spending more time here as a result

Has anything changed with embedding Youtube Videos?

I tried everything but there was only the link. I compared it to older threads where I put in Videos…no difference, but there the videos could be played. Just wondering…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Embedding works, if you just use the pure URL without brackets and no text.

Unless inside a details-tag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr2IX8jBUeo