New GPU? Also a Win 10 Question

Hey all -

I am technically challenged. I was once fairly literate, that has changed over the past 15 years. I currently have an AMD Radeon 6670. I think I’d like to upgrade, but have a limited budget (as do we all, I’m sure). I’d like to keep it under $150 US.

My other question is -

Have any of you done a ‘Refresh’ with Win 10? Does it keep your Steam savegames intact?

GPU under $150 uhhh… not sure you can do that anymore thanks to bitcoin miners… You’d really be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a new card at that point.

I think really all that’s available at that range atm is nvidia gtx 1050 or an amd rx 560, no idea how well either one of those runs, I’ve been out of the loop for some time now.

What exactly is a windows 10 “refresh” ?

Really? This is a little over budget, but still looks like it might be better than what I have – http://a.co/6MRNTT4 . Is it junk? I don’t know!

A Win 10 ‘refresh’ says that it uninstalls apps and programs, but leaves data. Other than that, if I knew specifics, I wouldn’t be asking the internet. :stuck_out_tongue:

The next nvidia series, 11, is coming out later this year I believe (not completely sure), that will lead to lower prices for the 10 series since all the miners will start upgrading and dumping their old cards on the second hand market. I know that my 1060 was hugely overpriced thanks to those miners, let’s hope they mine out all the (luckily limited to 22 million or so) bitcoins soon and prices for us can drop again.

Although supercomputers also use loads of gpu now, turns out they’re great at many things like protein folding and weather predicition…

GPU prices are still a bit too high for my taste. Cheapest GTX 1060 I can find (NEW) is $230 and I can’t afford more then $200. I don’t care about 4K gaming (mostly cause I only have a 1080p monitor that works just fine. All I want is to be able to play recent games at max setting at 60fps (with my GTX 750 Witcher 3 will run at 50fps at all minimal settings or around 30fps with near medium settings).

With the new Nvidia surplus news and hints of another line coming out i would wait just a bit longer before buying any new cards. one of their manufacturers returned to them hundreds of thousands of unsold cards.